Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Oh yes! I'm going there. Baby vs. Embryo

Posted by   + Show Post

Here’s a test:

I’m holding a baby in one hand and a petri dish holding an embryo in the other.

I’m going to drop one. You chose which.

If you really truly believe an embryo is the same thing as a baby, it should be impossible for you to decide. You should have to flip a coin, that’s how impossible the decision should be.

Shot in the dark, you saved the baby.

Because you’re aware there’s a difference.

Now admit it.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:19 PM
Replies (21-30):
2Gs
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM
2 moms liked this

You don't even make any sense.  Maybe you were dropped as a baby on your head?

Quoting mehamil1:

Oh but wait! They would pick the baby cause the embryo could end up as a miscarriage. 

Oh that made me laugh. The head warping justification. That took mental gymnastics worthy of an Olympic gold medal. 

Quoting NWP:
I think so too
Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I personally love this post, but the people that this post is being directed towards will ignore it for lack of an answer.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM
24 moms liked this

I would react in the same way as if you were dropping two infants. I would dive for both, hopefully catching both of them, then smack you for risking physical harm to defenseless human beings in order to make some kind of political point.

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM
8 moms liked this

Quoting 2Gs:

I'm actually pro-choice myself.  But I think abortion is a horrible choice.   And I'm sad for anyone who has to make it.  1.2 million abortions are performed in the US every year.  There are 7 million infertile couples and countless methods of birth control out there.  Plus there are tons of resources for women who want to keep their baby.

It's a life.  It totally is.  I don't know how anyone can ignore science.  I've been pregnant 4 times and lost 4 babys (one set of twins).  I had one and adopted one so I've sat through quite a few ultrasounds in my day. 

I say everyone deserves the choice to abort.  But it is a baby.  And if you aborted it you killed it.  Now live with yourself.   What I don't like is people pretending they aborted a marshmallow or something.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting 2Gs:

People who post shit like usually are trying to justify having or wanting to have an abortion. 

So do you have an answer for her question?

And welcome to the forum!

I can only imagine aborting if my life was in jeopardy.

But I am lucky.  I have a lot of support systems that a lot of women don't have.

I am pro-choice because it is no one else's business and should be no one else's decision what someone does reproductively.

I think it is the better, safer option to have abortion be safe and legal in America.

I think everyone knows it's an incipient life, that if left undisturbed will most likely end in a baby.

But at the point most people abort, it's a non-sentient embryo, unable to be aware of anything or feel anything.  Equating that with a living, breathing, sentient person is wrong, IMO.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
That's not an answer.

Quoting 2Gs:

People who post shit like usually are trying to justify having or wanting to have an abortion. 

viv212
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:40 PM
5 moms liked this
I know!!! I can't wait for a friend to get pregnant so that I can make her have an abortion. Hopefully I can be the driver!

Quoting 2Gs:

x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM
11 moms liked this
Its both a living human its only a matter of gestation age the only "relivance" to this post is choice of what has a better chance of no harm done if not dropped. Its a bad analogy and sad really how people care so little for life no matter the gestation age.
prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
5 moms liked this

I'll dive in...I'm scared of the backlash so PLEASE keep it at least a little civilized. I would save the already born baby because it is surviving outside of the mom. That doesn't mean I don't see the value of the embryo however. If you can only save 1 then you should save the one that has already been proven to be able to live outside of the mom. I am pro-life with the stipulation added that a rape vcitim, incest victim, mother who faces death if she carries the baby to term, or baby who will not survive or will have a horrible quality of life should not be impeded if she chooses to have an abortion. Remember...keep it civilized...I took the dare!

2Gs
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
4 moms liked this

The only reason I'm not totally pro-life is that I don't think we could ever logistically legislate it.  Of course the liberals (and many conservatives) would insist in a provision for rape victims and everyone probably agrees that abortions are justifiable if the mother's health is in danger but how could we really manage that?  And I think a lot of women would cry rape just to get an abortion.  Plus I'm not going to tell someone what to do with their body.  BUT I'm not going to pretend it's something it is not.  If you actually have to get an abortion, then you better be damn sure you can live with yourself when it's done.  I'm older than most of the women who post here and I have a lot of friends who aborted and now are in their 40s and they never ended up having children for whatever reason.  I"m seeing a lot of people suddenly expeience delayed deep regret.  Or the ones who do have babies have been haunted by their abortions.  There are too many victims in most abortion scenarios.  

I really do hate much of the pro-life rhetoric becuase I think they go about it all wrong.  But I do like the Silent No More campaign.  

Plus I adopted so, of course, I have a huge heart for that.  I know adoption is not something most woman could do, but it's something almost no once considers and it can end up being the most beautiful choice of all.

Quoting punky3175:

Not at all. Pro-life v pro-choice is a hot topic. This is just an attempt to illicit conversation. And by your response I'm guessing you are 'pro-life' and see the validity of her argument. And you don't like that you see and understand it. And would opt to save the baby rather than the embryo.

Quoting 2Gs:

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Well, after previous similar conversation, it's not "really" a baby unless attached to a uterus
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I'd save the baby. Duh. Who wouldn't? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN