Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do you need permission?

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM
  • 49 Replies

I read this in another group and it got me thinking.  If you are married or in a committed relationship, do you ask your spouse or SO if you are allowed to go somewhere?

A woman wanted to go for a girls night out.  Just something simple (no drinking,etc) and her dh didn't want her to go so she isn't.

That just floored me.  Unless my dh had a very good reason, I wouldn't let him tell me where to go.  I might listen to him but would never let him forbid me to do anything.

"No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgements are wrong. Only racists make them" - Elie Wiesel

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:02 PM
I always asked Matt first if we or he had plans. But honestly I never went or did anything without him. He would ask me if he could go do something and I always said yes.
KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:03 PM
I don't need his permission but I always run it by him first.
ChancesMommy07
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:05 PM
3 moms liked this

I don't need Aaron's permission to do anything and he doesn't need mine. But we always run our plans by each other out of respect.

punky3175
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM
If I were in a relationship, I wouldn't allow him to dictate what I could or couldn't do anymore than I'd want to dictate what he'd do. I'd want time with my gifriends and would want him to have time with his friends.

However, if he didn't want me to do something for some reason, is listen to his reasons and decide from there.
katy_kay08
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I don't ask for permission but I take his feelings into consideration.  He is rarely against the things I want to do so if he were to voice that he would like me to stay home I probably would.  

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM
2 moms liked this

we coordinate schedules, we don't require permission. 

kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:09 PM

Quoting KelliansMom:

I don't need his permission but I always run it by him first.
PestPatti
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

My parents were the last people who I asked for permission to go places.  

I let Wayne know whats going on, its only common courtesy.   And he has only objected 2x, in 27 years.  

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM

We tend to socialize together- we are away from one another enough without needing  additional "me times". My hubs is a natural introvert who enjoys quiet time at home in order to recharge- I enjoy home too.

We do weekly co-ordinations.

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:13 PM

We don't need each other's permission, but our schedules are complicated.  It's always better to run stuff by each other first.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN