Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Rolling Stone and the Bomber *Edit* Link to article added.

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

CVS, Walgreens, Stop & Shop Won't Sell Rolling Stone's Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Issue

ABBY OHLHEISER AND DASHIELL BENNETT9,661 ViewsJUL 17, 2013

Rolling Stone decided to make a profile of Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the cover story of their next issue, but their choice of cover photo has more than few people baffled and upset. (update: It's also prompted a growing number of retail chains to boycott the entire issue) The layout, which is being described as "shocking" and "offensive," resembles any number of rock star images that have graced the magazine over the years... and that's exactly the problem. Many people feel that the photo the editors chose makes Tsarnaev look like a smoldering teen heartthrob and not the accused murderer and terrorist that he is. 

A few people have pointed out that the magazine has featured plenty of villains and criminals on its covers in the past, including Charles Manson in 1970. And the magazine (like other publications) only has a few photos of the man to choose from, which is why we've actually seen this image in several other places before, including The New York Times (and this website.) But the combination of Tsarnaev's casual, glamorous appearance with the famously "cool" magazine's attitude just isn't sitting well with most people.

The online reactionwith thousands of tweets and comments on the magazine's Facebook page, wasalmost universally against the cover, some vowing to never buy Rolling Stone again.

I don't have a problem with it.  They are not glorifying him or what he did.  I don't have a problem with store choosing not to sell it either.

I think I will pick up a copy.

I have the copy that my sister bought when Charles Manson was on the cover.

You can find the article HERE.
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (11-20):
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:39 PM

The article was very very good. Painted a very interesting timeline in regards to his life and how he got to the point of blowing people up. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:41 PM

Quoting mehamil1:

The article was very very good. Painted a very interesting timeline in regards to his life and how he got to the point of blowing people up. 

I have no problem saying I am curious as to how some one can get to the point he did.  

I have always been fascinated with Manson and those who followed him. 

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:42 PM
Is the article available online anywhere? I want to read it but we dont really buy magazines.

Nevermind, found it.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/news/jahars-world-20130717

Quoting mehamil1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

It looks like an interesting article.

This is another dumb protest like when the mayor of Toronto didn't want the Barenaked Ladies playing a concert. 

Nothing like a completely surface view of the world to make you look like a total idiot...

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Quoting AlekD:

Is the article available online anywhere? I want to read it but we dont really buy magazines.

Nevermind, found it.

Quoting mehamil1:

Oh, thanks for the link!!

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM
As a Bostonian and someone who lived through that week. I find it disrespectful. I am happy it won't be sold many places here. Who wants to see a glamorized shot of someone who may be responsible for the reason your missing a limb or your son is dead. We know terrorist can come from anywhere . I personally stand with the mayor of Boston with this one and a good chunk of the Bostonians who feel the same way
jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:47 PM
1 mom liked this
Sadly, I think many people will not look past their emotional response and see the bigger picture.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting jllcali:

The fact that he's good looking further illustrates the point I believe they were going for. I also think that is part of the emotional response to the cover. I so cannot explain the science behind it, but most people react more favorably to attractive people than homely people and I think some people are upset by their own subconscious reaction to his face a split second before they realize who he is.

Quoting quickbooksworm:

People are missing the point. They aren't glorifying him. They are drawing attention to how normal he was. He could be anyone any of us know. He isn't a stereotype of a terrorist or mass murderer.

Not gonna lie, he makes a good cover in part because he's kinda hot. And I think that may be part of the issue. Charles Manson just LOOKS like a psycho, this guy is normal.

Spot on.

Many people, in that split second of seeing this face, think...'wow, what a nice looking guy'.....then reality sets in and they realize who it is.

They can't admit to their first reaction so they find themselves getting even more upset over his actions.  Acting out towards his actions even more, as in the uproar over the cover.  

He is a nice looking kid.  Nice looking people do horrific things all the time.  We need to see his face, learn his story.  That is not glorifying what he did or who he was, is or will be.  It is reality.  Some people would rather bury their heads in the sand and not take a peek out.

jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Can you make it clicky, please

Quoting AlekD:

Nevermind, found it.

Quoting mehamil1:

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Cant. I am on mobile, sorry.

Quoting jllcali:

Can you make it clicky, please

Quoting AlekD:

Nevermind, found it.

Quoting mehamil1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:56 PM

what's the BNL thing about, the band's name? 

Quoting LindaClement:

It looks like an interesting article.

This is another dumb protest like when the mayor of Toronto didn't want the Barenaked Ladies playing a concert. 

Nothing like a completely surface view of the world to make you look like a total idiot...

Autodidact, Unrepentant Heathen

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN