Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Rolling Stone and the Bomber *Edit* Link to article added.

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

CVS, Walgreens, Stop & Shop Won't Sell Rolling Stone's Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Issue

ABBY OHLHEISER AND DASHIELL BENNETT9,661 ViewsJUL 17, 2013

Rolling Stone decided to make a profile of Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the cover story of their next issue, but their choice of cover photo has more than few people baffled and upset. (update: It's also prompted a growing number of retail chains to boycott the entire issue) The layout, which is being described as "shocking" and "offensive," resembles any number of rock star images that have graced the magazine over the years... and that's exactly the problem. Many people feel that the photo the editors chose makes Tsarnaev look like a smoldering teen heartthrob and not the accused murderer and terrorist that he is. 

A few people have pointed out that the magazine has featured plenty of villains and criminals on its covers in the past, including Charles Manson in 1970. And the magazine (like other publications) only has a few photos of the man to choose from, which is why we've actually seen this image in several other places before, including The New York Times (and this website.) But the combination of Tsarnaev's casual, glamorous appearance with the famously "cool" magazine's attitude just isn't sitting well with most people.

The online reactionwith thousands of tweets and comments on the magazine's Facebook page, wasalmost universally against the cover, some vowing to never buy Rolling Stone again.

I don't have a problem with it.  They are not glorifying him or what he did.  I don't have a problem with store choosing not to sell it either.

I think I will pick up a copy.

I have the copy that my sister bought when Charles Manson was on the cover.

You can find the article HERE.
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (31-40):
Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:34 AM
I know the reality that a terrorist can be anyone I was never under the impression that it had to be someone who was visibly Muslim. I still find the pic inappropriate as someone who lives here. Someone who has to always defend being a Muslim because some wackadooo had a agenda. The pic for me overshadows the article. I also dislike rolling stone making money off a tragedy and it irks me to high hell when politicians try to use it for their own agenda. You can read it that's well and good for you but I find it disrespectful and in poor taste. It's my opinion.

Quoting autodidact:

that's somewhat the point of the article, contrasting appearances with reality. 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

It's a selfie made to look attractive to the viewer. When most people make a selfie its to be attractive. Many have already commented how good looking he is.

Quoting autodidact:how's the shot glamorized? 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:As a Bostonian and someone who lived through that week. I find it disrespectful. I am happy it won't be sold many places here. Who wants to see a glamorized shot of someone who may be responsible for the reason your missing a limb or your son is dead. We know terrorist can come from anywhere . I personally stand with the mayor of Boston with this one and a good chunk of the Bostonians who feel the same way

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

As a Bostonian and someone who lived through that week. I find it disrespectful. I am happy it won't be sold many places here. Who wants to see a glamorized shot of someone who may be responsible for the reason your missing a limb or your son is dead. We know terrorist can come from anywhere . I personally stand with the mayor of Boston with this one and a good chunk of the Bostonians who feel the same way

What is glamorized about the photo?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:13 AM

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

It's a selfie made to look attractive to the viewer. When most people make a selfie its to be attractive. Many have already commented how good looking he is.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:As a Bostonian and someone who lived through that week. I find it disrespectful. I am happy it won't be sold many places here. Who wants to see a glamorized shot of someone who may be responsible for the reason your missing a limb or your son is dead. We know terrorist can come from anywhere . I personally stand with the mayor of Boston with this one and a good chunk of the Bostonians who feel the same way

I did not see this response prior to asking you.  

He is a good looking kid.  That does not take away from what he did.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I just read the article.

It was indeed a good article, sad, frightening and leaves you truly wondering.

His friends, I cannot imagine.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:21 AM
I just finished reading it too. It really painted a clearer picture of all the things that shaped him.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I just read the article.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Quoting AlekD:

I just finished reading it too. It really painted a clearer picture of all the things that shaped him.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I just read the article.

Yes, it did.  

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM
Just not something I want to read. Don't care to. I loathe him so regardless of the reviews of the article its not happening for me.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

I did not see this response prior to asking you.  

He is a good looking kid.  That does not take away from what he did.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:50 AM
It's a great topic of discussion to be had

It's ashame too many in America are too immature to have the discussion
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Shell89
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:59 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm from the Boston area and I think the main issue isn't that they wrote an article, it's that they have his face on the cover, looking like a model. If there was a different picture on the cover it would be no big deal.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:11 AM

I think the differences are the pictures the news-oriented publications used and the purpose. Yes, ultimately, it is about selling magazines, but people want news. (Has his face before been the ONLY bomber face on the cover of a publication? I don't know.)

It's also because it's Rolling Stone, which is an entertainment-focused publication known for having rock stars on the cover (yes, I know they have serious stories, too). I can understand why people are thinking RS is trying to make the bomber into "rock star status." The photo is flattering. It really does look like he could be some cool rock dude kids look up to.

RS knew exactly what it was doing. They didn't do this just to provide info about the guy or his crimes. It's cheap. But it's not like I wouldn't expect it from a rag who had Manson on the cover or who way back when published -- wait, let me find the pics: 

(underage Alicia Silverstone made to look even younger)

and...Daddy-daughter love:

This just takes their tastelessness and issues with class (and MO to "shock") to another level. I'm glad they're being called out on it.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Pretty sure we all saw his face plastered all over tvs and newspapers, right?

Now all the sudden its offensice? Get a grip kiddos...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN