Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Rolling Stone and the Bomber *Edit* Link to article added.

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

CVS, Walgreens, Stop & Shop Won't Sell Rolling Stone's Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Issue

ABBY OHLHEISER AND DASHIELL BENNETT9,661 ViewsJUL 17, 2013

Rolling Stone decided to make a profile of Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the cover story of their next issue, but their choice of cover photo has more than few people baffled and upset. (update: It's also prompted a growing number of retail chains to boycott the entire issue) The layout, which is being described as "shocking" and "offensive," resembles any number of rock star images that have graced the magazine over the years... and that's exactly the problem. Many people feel that the photo the editors chose makes Tsarnaev look like a smoldering teen heartthrob and not the accused murderer and terrorist that he is. 

A few people have pointed out that the magazine has featured plenty of villains and criminals on its covers in the past, including Charles Manson in 1970. And the magazine (like other publications) only has a few photos of the man to choose from, which is why we've actually seen this image in several other places before, including The New York Times (and this website.) But the combination of Tsarnaev's casual, glamorous appearance with the famously "cool" magazine's attitude just isn't sitting well with most people.

The online reactionwith thousands of tweets and comments on the magazine's Facebook page, wasalmost universally against the cover, some vowing to never buy Rolling Stone again.

I don't have a problem with it.  They are not glorifying him or what he did.  I don't have a problem with store choosing not to sell it either.

I think I will pick up a copy.

I have the copy that my sister bought when Charles Manson was on the cover.

You can find the article HERE.
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (41-50):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Magazines go to GREAT lengths and give a lot of thought to what they are portraying. The glamourization here isn't even up for argument. It's a given.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

As a Bostonian and someone who lived through that week. I find it disrespectful. I am happy it won't be sold many places here. Who wants to see a glamorized shot of someone who may be responsible for the reason your missing a limb or your son is dead. We know terrorist can come from anywhere . I personally stand with the mayor of Boston with this one and a good chunk of the Bostonians who feel the same way

What is glamorized about the photo?

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Tv news plastered him all over to make money too.

Rolling Stone has a history of high quality current events journalism.

I saw his face this morning bloodied with a laser dot in the middle of his forehead followed a commercial for Allstate Insurance. But that's okay, totally different? Nope.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

I think the differences are the pictures the news-oriented publications used and the purpose. Yes, ultimately, it is about selling magazines, but people want news. (Has his face before been the ONLY bomber face on the cover of a publication? I don't know.)

It's also because it's Rolling Stone, which is an entertainment-focused publication known for having rock stars on the cover (yes, I know they have serious stories, too). I can understand why people are thinking RS is trying to make the bomber into "rock star status." The photo is flattering. It really does look like he could be some cool rock dude kids look up to.

RS knew exactly what it was doing. They didn't do this just to provide info about the guy or his crimes. It's cheap. But it's not like I wouldn't expect it from a rag who had Manson on the cover or who way back when published -- wait, let me find the pics: 

(underage Alicia Silverstone made to look even younger)

and...Daddy-daughter love:

This just takes their tastelessness and issues with class (and MO to "shock") to another level. I'm glad they're being called out on it.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Pretty sure we all saw his face plastered all over tvs and newspapers, right?

Now all the sudden its offensice? Get a grip kiddos...

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM
But for profit news doesnt?

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Magazines go to GREAT lengths and give a lot of thought to what they are portraying. The glamourization here isn't even up for argument. It's a given.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

As a Bostonian and someone who lived through that week. I find it disrespectful. I am happy it won't be sold many places here. Who wants to see a glamorized shot of someone who may be responsible for the reason your missing a limb or your son is dead. We know terrorist can come from anywhere . I personally stand with the mayor of Boston with this one and a good chunk of the Bostonians who feel the same way

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Intellectually, I don't have a problem with the article at all.  RS is known for great reporting.  And the cover is an editorial decision, not that of the author.  

But... as someone who has lived in the Boston area for the past 20 years, I cannot get past my visceral reaction of disgust at the cover.  I know it's not rational, but it is a strong negative feeling.  

That said, the last time I bought RS was, um, never, so I have no $ in the game in any case.  

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM

It is a good article.

And the cover is important, it shows that very bad people can have very pretty faces, because he is a very handsome young man. Evil is not always obvious.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:51 AM
I didn't read the article but right on the cover it calls him a monster. They picked that photo to sell magazines no doubt about it. It is glorifying him in a way, that's how these things are done. Rolling Stone is no worse than any other media and usually better because of the quality of the journalism.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:48 AM

I think it's silly.  I also think that some people do not want to see a humanized version of this guy.  The promising future, the friends he had. 

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:54 AM

They definitely do. Because they do, also, doesn't mean this is ok.

To even be more realistic -- hey, and shocking -- RS could have used a photo of the bomber with a bloodied face. There is something below-the-belt about trying to portray him as sexy or rock-star-ish.

Quoting UpSheRises:

But for profit news doesnt?

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I haven't been aware of other news outlets purposely trying to make him appear to be rock star-like. I honestly feel that that is the valid issue here.

RS does have some good current events journalism. Therefore, why go this cheapo route? They carried a story about priest sex abuse written by a guy I used to work with, and were amont the FIRST to carry such an article. Would it have been appropriate for them to put a sexy-looking priest on the cover for that issue, even though they were criticizing the Catholic church? Hell no.

Re: the Allstate insurance commercial, how ignorant of them. I haven't seen that. Not seeing what that has to do with this, though.  

Quoting UpSheRises:

Tv news plastered him all over to make money too.

Rolling Stone has a history of high quality current events journalism.

I saw his face this morning bloodied with a laser dot in the middle of his forehead followed a commercial for Allstate Insurance. But that's okay, totally different? Nope.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

I think the differences are the pictures the news-oriented publications used and the purpose. Yes, ultimately, it is about selling magazines, but people want news. (Has his face before been the ONLY bomber face on the cover of a publication? I don't know.)

It's also because it's Rolling Stone, which is an entertainment-focused publication known for having rock stars on the cover (yes, I know they have serious stories, too). I can understand why people are thinking RS is trying to make the bomber into "rock star status." The photo is flattering. It really does look like he could be some cool rock dude kids look up to.

RS knew exactly what it was doing. They didn't do this just to provide info about the guy or his crimes. It's cheap. But it's not like I wouldn't expect it from a rag who had Manson on the cover or who way back when published -- wait, let me find the pics: 

(underage Alicia Silverstone made to look even younger)

and...Daddy-daughter love:

This just takes their tastelessness and issues with class (and MO to "shock") to another level. I'm glad they're being called out on it.

Quoting UpSheRises:

Pretty sure we all saw his face plastered all over tvs and newspapers, right?

Now all the sudden its offensice? Get a grip kiddos...

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I am actually very curious about his life. What makes him tick. The story. I am not interested in him being made out to be, once again, rock star-ish.

Quoting snookyfritz:

I think it's silly.  I also think that some people do not want to see a humanized version of this guy.  The promising future, the friends he had. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN