Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Rolling Stone and the Bomber *Edit* Link to article added.

Posted by   + Show Post

Quote:

CVS, Walgreens, Stop & Shop Won't Sell Rolling Stone's Dzhokhar Tsarnaev Issue

ABBY OHLHEISER AND DASHIELL BENNETT9,661 ViewsJUL 17, 2013

Rolling Stone decided to make a profile of Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev the cover story of their next issue, but their choice of cover photo has more than few people baffled and upset. (update: It's also prompted a growing number of retail chains to boycott the entire issue) The layout, which is being described as "shocking" and "offensive," resembles any number of rock star images that have graced the magazine over the years... and that's exactly the problem. Many people feel that the photo the editors chose makes Tsarnaev look like a smoldering teen heartthrob and not the accused murderer and terrorist that he is. 

A few people have pointed out that the magazine has featured plenty of villains and criminals on its covers in the past, including Charles Manson in 1970. And the magazine (like other publications) only has a few photos of the man to choose from, which is why we've actually seen this image in several other places before, including The New York Times (and this website.) But the combination of Tsarnaev's casual, glamorous appearance with the famously "cool" magazine's attitude just isn't sitting well with most people.

The online reactionwith thousands of tweets and comments on the magazine's Facebook page, wasalmost universally against the cover, some vowing to never buy Rolling Stone again.

I don't have a problem with it.  They are not glorifying him or what he did.  I don't have a problem with store choosing not to sell it either.

I think I will pick up a copy.

I have the copy that my sister bought when Charles Manson was on the cover.

You can find the article HERE.
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:37 PM
Replies (91-92):
babydust_
by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Idk if any of you guys heard but I was online sometime ago and they said it was an inside job for some reason he is really cute though
Kmary
by Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM

I must admit that I am truly pleasantly surprised by the responses here, at least the first page.  I thought I was the only person on Earth who just didn't really care either way whether he was on the cover or whether stores decided to carry it (though truthfully I find their refusal to sell a bit silly--censorship isn't really an American ideal and it's easy to boycott by not purchasing it). 

I haven't read the accopanying article or paid attention to RS' explanation, but whether they're trying to make a point about how "normal" looking he was or make a commentary on how we have a habit of turning criminals into celebrities or whatever, they probably have a valid, thought provoking point. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured