Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Baby Shot because Mom had no money....

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
  • 83 Replies

http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/23/us/georgia-baby-killed

What is wrong with the world we are raising our children in? The downfall of society almost makes me wish that my children chose not to have kids.

Brunswick, Georgia (CNN) -- The fatal shooting of a 13-month-old boy in his stroller marked the second time mother Sherry West lost a son to violence, she said Saturday.

Her 18-year-old son was stabbed to death in 2008 in New Jersey, she told CNN.

"This is the second child that people have taken from me in a tragic way," West said. "I'm so afraid to have any more babies now. I tried to raise really good kids in a wicked world."

The day after two teenage boys were arrested and charged in the fatal shooting of her baby, West said she was planning to leave Brunswick and return to New Jersey. The boy's father has also been emotionally distraught, West said.

Asked about the person who shot her son, Antonio, West stated: "I hate you and I don't forgive you.

"You killed an innocent human life," she said. "I hope you die for it."

Police say De\'Marquise Elkins, 17, will be treated as an adult in criminal proceedings.
Police say De'Marquise Elkins, 17, will be treated as an adult in criminal proceedings.

A private memorial service was held Friday morning for young Antonio Santiago, who was cremated, according to West. She said the family is working with the Catholic relief organization Society of St. Vincent de Paul to help with unforeseen expenses.

West put Antonio in a stroller Thursday because it was good exercise for her heart, said West, who added she was disabled from a past car accident.

"I just took a walk with my baby," West said. "I can't believe that this would happen, and I left early in the morning. I thought you know that there would be less people on the road and I wouldn't be in anybody's way walking down that road.

"Apparently, either he targeted me or I was just unfortunate," she said of her encounter with the gunman.

West said the incident occurred at 9 a.m. Thursday as she was walking home from the post office.

2 teens arrested in shooting of baby

Parents of slain baby speak out

Mom: My son was 'innocent and helpless'

She said she saw two boys, and one asked for money. When she told them she didn't have any, one of the boys shot her in the leg and then her son in the face.

Police Chief Tobe Green identified the older suspect as De'Marquise Elkins, 17, and said he will be treated as an adult in criminal proceedings. The 14-year-old was not identified because of his age.

Both have been charged with first-degree murder, police said, though no arraignment date has been set.

As of Saturday, authorities still had not found the murder weapon, police spokesman Todd Rhodes said.

But they were able to track down the two suspects aided by a description from West and others, as well as a check of school attendance records to determine who was not in class Thursday. Officers then searched for the two teens and took them into custody, police said.

911 calls reveal witnesses' horror

Earlier Saturday, police in the coastal city released to CNN three recordings of 911 calls about Thursday's shooting.

"A baby has been shot!" one woman said in a 911 call.

The exchange with the emergency operator was emotionally charged.

"Listen to me, ma'am! Is the baby breathing?" the operator replied.

"I don't know," the woman said.

The woman began to cry.

In the background is public wailing on the corner of London and Ellis Streets, in a stately cluster of Victorian-style houses with wrap-around porches.

Baby shot dead in stroller; 2 Georgia teens charged

"Listen to me!" the operator said to the weeping woman. "We have people en route. Did you hear shots in the area?"

Yes, she heard shots, she said.

"Be calm," the operator said. "How many shots did you hear?"

"I heard like three shots. And the baby has been shot in the head," the woman said.

The woman was so distraught that she passed her cell phone to a man walking his dog.

"No, the baby is not breathing," the man told the operator.

"The baby was shot in the head?" the operator continued.

"Yes, right between the eyes," the man said, who added he earlier heard a "small caliber clap."

As he spoke, police sirens arrived on the scene, and the man broke off the phone call.

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
skittlebeans88
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this
That's horrible. I can't believe people would shoot a baby..
DusterMommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM
This happened a while back...

but hearing about it will never cease to horrify me.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:57 PM

There is so much more to this story.

invisibleme
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM

Shot the mom in the leg then the Innocent baby who was NO threat at all in the face.

Quoting skittlebeans88:

That's horrible. I can't believe people would shoot a baby..

invisibleme
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I didn't see when it happened DH just told me about it.

Quoting DusterMommy:

This happened a while back...

but hearing about it will never cease to horrify me.

invisibleme
1 mom liked this

What else is there?

Quoting FromAtoZ:

There is so much more to this story.

mistressflora

this is a terrible story but i think its a few months old. maybe she should try and find another place to live! so sad

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Just saw on FB a couple days ago that she actually had gunpowder residue on her hands. There's been speculation from the beginning that she actually shot the baby for the insurance money.

Has anyone else been following this from the beginning?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Just saw on FB a couple days ago that she actually had gunpowder residue on her hands. There's been speculation from the beginning that she actually shot the baby for the insurance money.

Has anyone else been following this from the beginning?

I have had half an eye on it.  Tomorrow I'll try and look up some more information.  I do recall that her daughter immediately said that the story was bogus and they are now saying there was gunpowder residue on her hands.  She had insurance on the baby and was desperate for money.

Sick.  People are just sick.

dominic062407
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
2 moms liked this
Bump to read more info later. Whatever the case is... It's fucking sick. Poor baby.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)