Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obama 2012: "We refused to let Detroit go bankrupt."

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:55 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

July 2013: Detroit goes bankrupt.

What happened Mr Obama?  Where did those billions go?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Another broken promise.

gsprofval
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Yup, chalk up one more that shows exactly how the jobs are not there and people can't live on part time jobs or even find jobs any more. This is so sad, but the mayors have caused it, too.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Well they have had a mayor who pretty much screwed that city every which way to Thursday.
Angelanscalf89
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:45 AM
This is just sad to me honestly. I love detroit (the good parts of it atleast) and its all just going to hell. I live about 30 minutes east of detroit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:09 AM
2 moms liked this

I am not an Obama supporter and I don't really pay attention to much he has to say so I don't what he said about not letting Detroit go bankrupt.

I live right on the border of Detroit and grew up in Detroit and the problem didn't start with Obama and it's going to take a whole lot more than Obama to fix Detroit. In fact I don't think Detroit's problems can even be fixed at this time.

I believe it all went down the the tubes starting in the mayor Coleman Young days. He was in office from 1974 until 1993 (5 terms). He was the founder of Young Boys Incorporated also known Y.B.I. They were a major drug cartel in Detroit and they laterally ran the city. Any one who got in their way came up missing. They were known for using minors to young to prosecute to push their product.You always knew who the Y.B.I. was because they made themselves known by wearing the Max Julian jackets with the fur hood. During these days hookers had the run of streets with no fear of being arrested. Crime period was out of control because most of the crime theft, murders, prostitution etc had the Young Boys behind it.

After Coleman left office Dennis Archer who was a justice of the Michigan Supreme court became mayor. Archer came down on every one with a hard fist. He did a huge overhaul of the Detroit Department cracked down on the drugs and prostitution real hard. Dennis Archer was not real popular or very well liked because now they were actually being held accountable for their crimes and not getting away with everything like they did when Young was in office. As hard as Archer tried the city was already in ruins and there wasn't much he could do to fix it.

Then here came mayor Kwami Kirlpatrick who was in the national news for years due to his corruption which started to come out when he had party at the Manugian mansion his wife walked in and beat he hell out of stripper with a base ball bat they had hired for edutainment and was never seen again until they found her body in a field and everything just started to unravel.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:24 AM
2 moms liked this
Im not sure any one could save Detroit. You have to have a balance between jobs people and infrastructure and Detroit has tipped over. It is a combination of factors that are not able to be controlled by government.
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:32 AM
2 moms liked this

Yeah, he has just had one winning proclamation after another.

Today's paper:  Insurance rates will increase 72% for people who buy individual policies.  

Isn't it GREAT that we subsidize every person and every city, while the thieves and liars continue to steal?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

The text and context. How are those companies doing that we bailed out because THATS where the money went,,,the money that is MOSTLY paid back

President Obama on Saturday painted a strong contrast between his record on the auto bailout with that of his presidential rival Mitt Romney, touting his own refusal to "let Detroit go bankrupt."

In his pre-taped weekly address Mr. Obama, referencing a 2008 op-ed in which Romney argued against bailing out the auto industry (entitled "Let Detroit Go Bankrupt"), outlined his administration's efforts to save the industry upon being elected.

"Just a few years ago, the auto industry wasn't just struggling - it was flatlining," Mr. Obama said. "GM and Chrysler were on the verge of collapse. Suppliers and distributors were at risk of going under. More than a million jobs across the country were on the line - and not just auto jobs, but the jobs of teachers, small business owners, and everyone in communities that depend on this great American industry."

His administration, he argues, "refused to throw in the towel and do nothing. We refused to let Detroit go bankrupt. We bet on American workers and American ingenuity, and three years later, that bet is paying off in a big way."

The president also touted recent technological advancements in the auto industry, promising that new cars and trucks are "going to save you more money at the pump."

In the weekly Republican address, Oklahoma Republican Congressional candidate Markwayne Mullin touted his experience turning around a small business, and blasted the Obama administration for what he cast as "excessive and unnecessary regulations."

"We need to get government out of the way," he said. ""Mitt Romney gets it; he's made supporting small businesses a key plank of his jobs plan."

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:41 AM
6 moms liked this

Are you familiar with the term metonymy?

It's when you are using a word as a figure of speech for something else.  Say, when you use the word "Hollywood" to refer to the American Film Industry, rather than a specific neighborhood in Los Angelos.  Or when you use the term "Beltway" to refer to people politicians in Washington DC as opposed to the actual DC-area highway, or when you use the term White House to refer to members of the Obama administration as opposed to an actual white building. 

Which is all to say that when Obama used the term "Detroit," he was referring to car companies.  Not the actual city. Newspapers and politicians do that all the time -- they use "Detroit" to really refer to the big three automobile manufacturers, and sometimes they use it to refer to american manufacturing generally. 

Detroit the city filed for bankruptcy.  Not "Detroit" the automobile companies.

Capisce?

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Want to take bets on whether or not they get a second bail out.  A lot of union  members live there.

Quoting gsprofval:

Yup, chalk up one more that shows exactly how the jobs are not there and people can't live on part time jobs or even find jobs any more. This is so sad, but the mayors have caused it, too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN