Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Historic Pro-Life Legislation Becomes Law as Planned Parenthood Announces Closing of Three Facilities

Posted by   + Show Post

7/18/2013 Austin, TX -- Texas Governor Rick Perry, joined by dozens of Texas legislators Thursday morning, signed House Bill 2 into law.

House Bill 2 raises the standard of care for women in Texas receiving abortions by requiring that all abortion facilities be licensed as ambulatory surgical centers. Additionally, the bill bans abortions after the fifth month of pregnancy. The bill also requires that abortion physicians have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of the abortion facility. Finally, House Bill 2 requires that the physician administering abortion-inducing drugs comply with FDA regulations.

Joe Pojman, Ph. D., Executive Director of Texas Alliance for Life said, "This is a historic bill that builds on the successes of previous sessions we have worked hard to achieve. Those include the sonogram law, parental consent and notification laws, defunding planned parenthood, and the Prenatal Protection (personhood)."

Abortion facilities will be required to meet the same safety standards as ambulatory surgical centers beginning September 1, 2014. The remaining provisions of the bill go into effect 91 days after the special session ends.

Shortly after Governor Perry signed House Bill 2 into law Planned Parenthood announced that three facilities will be ending services in late August including; Huntsville; Lufkin; and Bryan abortion facility, Planned Parenthood Center for Choice.

Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast president and CEO, Melaney Linton, cited "an increasingly hostile environment for providers of reproductive health care in undeserved communities," as a reason for the closures.

Joe Pojman, Ph. D., Executive Director of Texas Alliance for Life said, "Passing SB 7 in 2011 is bearing fruit. Shifting millions in tax dollars from Planned Parenthood to providers of comprehensive primary care is causing the abortion giant's empire to crumble. "

Abby Johnson, pro-life advocate and former director of the Planned Parenthood abortion facility in Bryan, TX said "This is a historic day for Texas women and the unborn because HB 2 was signed into law, but today is also a personal victory for me because after a lot of hard work and prayer my former abortion facility is finally going to be closing down."

source

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Replies (11-20):
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this
2 of the 3 closing do not provide abortions.

Quoting candlegal:
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:36 AM
3 moms liked this
Not nearly as glad as we are that you don't live here. blockquote class="quotedText">Quoting lga1965:

Joe Pojman, Ph. D., Executive Director of Texas Alliance for Life said, "Passing SB 7 in 2011 is bearing fruit. Shifting millions in tax dollars from Planned Parenthood to providers of comprehensive primary care is causing the abortion giant's empire to crumble

Abortion giant?

This is such a bizarre and incorrect way of describing Planned Parenthood. I am so glad I don't live in Texas, the land of the controlling, bigoted, misogynistic  idiots.

lga1965
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:39 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Citygirlk:

This is awesome. So if you need a Pap smear and you don't have a lot of money too bad for you honey, we only care about the unborn. Oh and you say you also need birth control at a good price since you have no insurance well that's toobad, but hey here's the good part at least you can get pregnant with child you can't afford and go on welfare at least untill we decide to limit that too.

OR....just don't have sex because as they say the REASON for marriage is to reproduce. Sex isn't a good thing unless its to get pregnant. (That's also why they say SS marriage is wrong--because they can't reproduce which,of course, is the main reason for marriage in their opinion.) SO...if you can't afford birth control, use the "natural method" ( LOL) or just don't have that sex thing.

I am being sarcastic. I really dislike those people who think they can legislate choice. In other words, there is NO choice except theirs.

Yes,I am Pro CHOICE !!! 

greenie63
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM
8 moms liked this

Wait I always thought candle was against the government controlling people's lives. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:07 AM
4 moms liked this

Thank you for posting this. It reminded me that it's time to send my monthly donation to Planned Parenthood. 

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
5 moms liked this

Oh, she is. But she's OK with them controlling women's uteruses. That part is in the fine print. 

Quoting greenie63:

Wait I always thought candle was against the government controlling people's lives. 

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:10 AM
Considering one of those closing directly hurts many people I know, I agree with candle that it shouldn't be supported with tax dollars.

But this was scheduled well before the current abortion bill that passed the Texas legislature. It is just a good time to announce to the general public in order to get more donations.

Quoting cjsbmom:

idunno1234
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:12 AM
3 moms liked this

So what do you say to this Candle?

Not once have you looked past your myopic view of what happens when stuff like this becomes reality, no matter how many times people point out the very real negative, often tragic outcomes of short sighted thinking.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

The Bryan and Huntsville ones are a shame to close because the Bryan one does abortions twice a month and the Huntsville one doesn't do them at all.

The Bryan one, which I used to drive by several times a week, served 1000's of college students with cheap BC. It was cheaper to go there for it than campus' Quack Shack.

Same thing in Huntsville. It serves not only women, but men could get tested for an STD without mommy and daddy knowing.

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting 12hellokitty:

So why didn't Planned Parenthood just agree to comply with the new law?  

I guess safe abortions are not profitable.

The clinics that will close, which will be all but 5 out of 42 I believe, will close because it is impossible to comply with the new law.

Which was the point of the new law.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:21 AM
These closing have nothing to do with the current bill that was passed.

Quoting romalove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN