Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Historic Pro-Life Legislation Becomes Law as Planned Parenthood Announces Closing of Three Facilities

Posted by   + Show Post

7/18/2013 Austin, TX -- Texas Governor Rick Perry, joined by dozens of Texas legislators Thursday morning, signed House Bill 2 into law.

House Bill 2 raises the standard of care for women in Texas receiving abortions by requiring that all abortion facilities be licensed as ambulatory surgical centers. Additionally, the bill bans abortions after the fifth month of pregnancy. The bill also requires that abortion physicians have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of the abortion facility. Finally, House Bill 2 requires that the physician administering abortion-inducing drugs comply with FDA regulations.

Joe Pojman, Ph. D., Executive Director of Texas Alliance for Life said, "This is a historic bill that builds on the successes of previous sessions we have worked hard to achieve. Those include the sonogram law, parental consent and notification laws, defunding planned parenthood, and the Prenatal Protection (personhood)."

Abortion facilities will be required to meet the same safety standards as ambulatory surgical centers beginning September 1, 2014. The remaining provisions of the bill go into effect 91 days after the special session ends.

Shortly after Governor Perry signed House Bill 2 into law Planned Parenthood announced that three facilities will be ending services in late August including; Huntsville; Lufkin; and Bryan abortion facility, Planned Parenthood Center for Choice.

Planned Parenthood Gulf Coast president and CEO, Melaney Linton, cited "an increasingly hostile environment for providers of reproductive health care in undeserved communities," as a reason for the closures.

Joe Pojman, Ph. D., Executive Director of Texas Alliance for Life said, "Passing SB 7 in 2011 is bearing fruit. Shifting millions in tax dollars from Planned Parenthood to providers of comprehensive primary care is causing the abortion giant's empire to crumble. "

Abby Johnson, pro-life advocate and former director of the Planned Parenthood abortion facility in Bryan, TX said "This is a historic day for Texas women and the unborn because HB 2 was signed into law, but today is also a personal victory for me because after a lot of hard work and prayer my former abortion facility is finally going to be closing down."

source

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Replies (141-150):
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:26 AM

And another person that hasn't read this thread.

Huntsville did not provide abortions.  Their closing has nothing to do with the bill that was just passed.  They are closing due to the fact they lost over 50% of their clients when the state said the state health care plan for poor women could not be used at PP.

It has nothing to do with providing other services.   And this client drop is also why the one in Bryan that did perform abortions once a week is closing.

Quoting JTROX:

The clinic didn't have to close.  They just couldn't perform abortions if they didn't adapt.

The clinic made the choice to not provide the other services.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

How does closing the Huntsville clinic protect the unborn?
HUntsville isn't big enough to have a slew of other places to provide cheap or free care. And no, the crisis pregnancy centers want to help her if she is giving up the child. They don't help prevent the pregnancy to begin with.

Quoting candlegal:

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

What?  Of course I didn't read evey post on here.  I don't read entire threads to get my news.  I actually check the real news.  Only a fool would think they are getting accurate info from a CM thread.

Yes, many clinics are closing due to funding cuts from 2011.

People are suggesting that creating these abortion regs are causing the closings. That is not the case in most of the closings.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Huntsville did not provide abortions.  Their closing has nothing to do with the bill that was just passed.  They are closing due to the fact they lost over 50% of their clients when the state said the state health care plan for poor women could not be used at PP.

It has nothing to do with providing other services.   And this client drop is also why the one in Bryan that did perform abortions once a week is closing.

Quoting JTROX:

The clinic didn't have to close.  They just couldn't perform abortions if they didn't adapt.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

HUntsville isn't big enough to have a slew of other places to provide cheap or free care. And no, the crisis pregnancy centers want to help her if she is giving up the child. They don't help prevent the pregnancy to begin with.

Quoting candlegal:

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:35 AM

So you read enough to quote that post but not the others in which I have stated over and over again, including the first post I made on this thread, that Huntsville did not provide abortions?

Quoting JTROX:

What?  Of course I didn't read evey post on here.  I don't read entire threads to get my news.  I actually check the real news.  Only a fool would think they are getting accurate info from a CM thread.

People are suggesting that creating these abortion regs are causing the closings. That is not the case in most of the closings.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting candlegal:

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I read what's around mine.  

What's eating you this morning?  Maybe you need a cm break.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

So you read enough to quote that post but not the others in which I have stated over and over again, including the first post I made on this thread, that Huntsville did not provide abortions?

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting candlegal:

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Or I don't understand why people keep asking questions or making statements that totally contradict what they are quoting from my posts.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting candlegal:

JTROX
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not responding to all of your posts.  Just the one I quoted.  Again, I feel no need to read all your cm statements before quoting you.  Don't respond if it is so distressing to you.  It will be ok.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Or I don't understand why people keep asking questions or making statements that totally contradict what they are quoting from my posts.

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting JTROX:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting candlegal:

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Why do you think I quite even bothering to respond to her.   No point after a while.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Happy Sunday! Spend some time with your family and tangible friends. Just a suggestion.
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Considering I have specifically stated numerous times that no, they did not perform surgeries and you had to ask again, I am not wound tight.  I am tired of people who can't comprehend that the current law didn't close them, when I stated that over and over again.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Jeeze, you are wound pretty tight for an easy Sunday morning arent ya? Sorry I asked.
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I am not trying to be rude, but what don't you get about what I posted?

No, they were not doing any surgeries.  They closed because they were no longer allowed to accept patients on a state health care plan for women.

Really, do you not read? 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Soooo, what you are saying is,....there was a clinic that was doing everything right? They were performing any minor surgeries at an establishment that was approved by the state? Never doing abortions? Yet they were still forced to close?
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

No.   Goodness me, does no one read what I have posted? Two of those clinics did not perform abortions.   There was no change, other than the one that caused them to close due to a lack of clients.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Were they too asked to comply with certain changes, but declined to do so?
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

That doesn't change anything about closing the Huntsville and Lufkin clinics. They didn't provide abortions and treated many things other than pregnancy tests.

Quoting rayroe2:

Exactly!

Quoting KamWorthy:

Those who claim their birth control failed, usually failed their birth control by forgetting one day, or taking it at a different time of the day, or took anti-biotics and didn't use back up.

Quoting rayroe2:

May all your fields be blessed. Weed grows in the ground.

233,000 abortions and all of them are from failed birth control?

We might need to improve that birth control. Woman lie. If a woman is using abortion as birth control there is something wrong. I can understand being young and not knowing how sex work but if you are over the age of 21 and you are getting pregnant regularly and aborting. You are abusing the right.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Probably because you didn't like being told you are wrong in this subject by someone completely more knowledgeable of what was and is going on there.

Quoting candlegal:

Why do you think I quite even bothering to respond to her.   No point after a while.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Happy Sunday! Spend some time with your family and tangible friends. Just a suggestion.
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Considering I have specifically stated numerous times that no, they did not perform surgeries and you had to ask again, I am not wound tight.  I am tired of people who can't comprehend that the current law didn't close them, when I stated that over and over again.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Jeeze, you are wound pretty tight for an easy Sunday morning arent ya? Sorry I asked.
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

No, they were not doing any surgeries.  They closed because they were no longer allowed to accept patients on a state health care plan for women.

Really, do you not read? 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Soooo, what you are saying is,....there was a clinic that was doing everything right? They were performing any minor surgeries at an establishment that was approved by the state? Never doing abortions? Yet they were still forced to close?
Quoting tanyainmizzou:

No.   Goodness me, does no one read what I have posted? Two of those clinics did not perform abortions.   There was no change, other than the one that caused them to close due to a lack of clients.

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

That doesn't change anything about closing the Huntsville and Lufkin clinics. They didn't provide abortions and treated many things other than pregnancy tests.

Quoting rayroe2:

Exactly!

Quoting KamWorthy:

Those who claim their birth control failed, usually failed their birth control by forgetting one day, or taking it at a different time of the day, or took anti-biotics and didn't use back up.

Quoting rayroe2:

We might need to improve that birth control. Woman lie. If a woman is using abortion as birth control there is something wrong. I can understand being young and not knowing how sex work but if you are over the age of 21 and you are getting pregnant regularly and aborting. You are abusing the right.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Of course, that is it, lol

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Probably because you didn't like being told you are wrong in this subject by someone completely more knowledgeable of what was and is going on there.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Really, do you not read? 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting rayroe2:

Exactly!

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting rayroe2:

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 3:28 PM

It is.   You want to believe your lifenews.   I however, have real and direct experience with what has and is happening in that community.  You don't.   You couldn't give a crap about the people that used and needed that place because in your mind, you know everything that happened at that clinic.  I do care.   That was my home for over half my life.  You don't know what you think you do.

Quoting candlegal:

Of course, that is it, lol

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Really, do you not read? 

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting rayroe2:

Exactly!

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting rayroe2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN