Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why is poverty the worst thing?

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM
  • 35 Replies

I have been poor most of my life. climbed up to middle class for a moment but here I am poor again.  It isnt the worst thing, there are plenty of pleasures in my life that cost nothing, like the sun on my face and dipping my feet into the river. 

Why is being poor the worst thing to so many?

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

Many people choose poverty, even take vows of poverty, as a spiritual discipline. I've been poor most of my life too and have learned to be grateful and find real contentment with all that I do have.

I also recognize that, by global standards, I am very rich. 

"True joy does not come from owning something, it comes from the encounter in relations with others, in feeling loved and understood. Because joy comes from the gratefulness of an encounter. The joy of "the encounter with Jesus" and in "feeling loved by God. " Pope Francis                                                    My Blog

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:33 PM

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Quoting AlekD:

Many people choose poverty, event ake vows of poverty, as a spiritual discipline. I've been poor most of my life too and have learned to be grateful and find real contentment with all that I do have.

I also recognize that, by global standards, I am very rich. 

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM
1 mom liked this

There is Poor and dirt poor.. The problem is sometimes I wonder if we realize the difference... While i grew up poor we never had to worry about food... But there are poor out there that worry day to day about meals and a place to live.. Those are the poor that don't like it.. that need help etc... I don't know I see what your saying but I think with CM it comes down to your idea of what Poor is... 

I have noticed that Poor means different things to different moms here

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:35 PM
4 moms liked this

Poverty isn't the issue, the generational poverty, parental neglect from having to work several jobs to make ends meet, lack of proper hygeine and health care and poor start in the educational system due to numerous factors such as hunger are the real concerns.

First lesson learned in Social Work class....Poverty alone doesn't mean its bad parenting and reason to remove a child.

housewifehell
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I don't understand this consept either. I have always been considered poor but I have always been happy with what I have and in my mind that makes me rich!

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I think many people equate poor with laziness, lack of desire and to some, being poor indicates a lack of overall character.

I'm sure there are those who look at my life and deem me poor.  They will base this on what they saw while I was married and what they see now.  Meaning, the big house, the many, many different vehicles, just being married.  

They are wrong.  While the money is not the same, I am far richer than many others in that my emotional healthy is far greater.  

I have the next five days off work, a mini vacation.  We are not going any where.  We will, however, head to the lake and hang out and float, we will go to the movies, we will take a drive to some where nearby we have not yet seen.

To some people, taking a vacation from work means heading to Hawaii or else where.  Lets see who can out do who.

Meh, being poor can also be a state of mind.  I may not be rich but damn if I am not rich in mind and soul.  Far more than I ever was previously.

jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:41 PM
2 moms liked this

What scares me about poverty isn't the lack of "stuff", it's the lack of security. That's why I work so hard to provide a middle-class lifestyle for my family. I never want my daughter to have to worry about whether we're going to have a place to live, or enough to eat, or be able to go to the doctor when we get sick. My husband grew up without a lot of that. They narrowly escaped being homeless a couple of times, were on welfare for a while, there wasn't always enough to eat and he didn't always get adequate medical care. I don't want that for my children, and neither does he.

As long as we have those basics covered, I'm fine; I don't need a fancy house, brand-new high end clothes, etc. But I do need to be able to provide the basics for my family's security if I'm going to be comfortable.

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM
Being poor in itself isnt bad if your content. But if you have 4 kids going to bed hungry under newspaper in a ghetto apartment with no heat thats a problem. Kids not knowing when they're going to get their next meal is not good. Yes that happens more often than people want to admit.
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:47 PM
3 moms liked this

Poor isn't the worst thing, but it isn't a good thing either.  Being poor for kids means less access to good healthcare and nutritious food, and less access to good education.  This doesn't mean it applies to "all" poor, but statistically, what I said is to.  Furthermore, it leads to people being more prone to being a crime victim, and poor parents more often breed poor children who are in the same cycle of struggle.

The real issue, if this is about what was said in the abortion thread, is that many of the same people who are against abortion are also against birth control and then are against PA for poor women with children, and blame them for not being responsible.  If you take away so many choices and leave only "close your legs" as the acceptable choice, you're damning a lot of people to a life of limited and poor choices.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Poverty is bad for society. At the rate things are going so many people will be in poverty that those who aren't won't have the resources to assist them. Let's forget about SS in old age.

I enjoy the simple things in life but I also enjoy a fat bank account that lets me know I'll never have to worry about a roof over my head and food in my belly and neither will my kids. I can retire and not have to rely on social insecurity.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)