Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kirk Cameron's new movie Unstoppable

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 132 Replies
1 mom liked this

Not sure if anyone has heard about this but here the official trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/user/unstoppablemovie924

This has now been banned from FB for "offensive" material! Here's a link to an article from Liberty University regarding the ban:

http://www.liberty.edu/news/index.cfm?PID=18495&MID=95292

Here's what my 17yo DS has to say about the whole thing:

"So apparently, Kirk Cameron's posts about the movie Unstoppable is being blocked by Facebook. AND I just went to find the youtube video of the trailer to post on here and it's been removed from there, too. From what I understand, Cameron asked the question that all of us have at one point in our lives: Why do bad things happen to good people. So, being the curious Christian that he is, he left to find answers. He traveled the world and looked into his bible and on September 24- for one night only- his movie about what he found out and how he came out of the journey with faith even stronger than before is going to be played in theaters across the country. But Facebook is blocking his posts about it, claiming they're "unsafe" and "abusive". Whatever happened to freedom of speech and freedom of religion? I feel like the two of those go hand in hand with this situation. All he wants to do is show the nation what he found out on his journey and help strengthen the faith of believers. I feel like he has a right to. It's not like he's shoving his religion down other people's throats; if you don't want to go see the movie, then by all means don't see it. No big deal. But to say that his Christian film is "abusive" and "unsafe" to be posting on Facebook is just not fair. I have seen plenty of other crap on here that is waaayyyy worse than advertising a one night Christian film. I understand that not everyone's Christian, but that doesn't mean we, as Christians, can't make Christian posts because it might offend someone. And everyone who would see Cameron's post are probably one of the 500,000 people that liked his page on here. I'm sorry for this long post about this, but it really does bother me that this is happening. I feel like it's just straight up unfair to say that. I see stuff every day on here that offends me because of my religion, and nothing is done about that; but post one thing about a Christian movie and it gets banned? I dunno, it just really bothers me that this is happening."

What are YOUR thoughts on the ban?

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Perhaps you need to teach your 17 year old so what freedom of speech and religion really means instead of posting about the movie on the internet.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:35 PM

no, he doesn't have a right to, he should put that on his own website. I'm no fan of how FB applies their TOS in choosing what stays and what gets pulled, but they have the right to determine that.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM
9 moms liked this

If the government blocks and removes it, then his freedom of speech is violated

Not if FB blocks or removes it. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM
10 moms liked this

I find it dispicable that his posts have been removed. But then again FB is clearly run by liberals, what do we expect? 

CampClan
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Why does he not have the right to post it on his FB page? You & I can post whatever we want on FB & here thanks to freedom of speech. So why can't a celebrity?

Quoting autodidact:

no, he doesn't have a right to, he should put that on his own website. I'm no fan of how FB applies their TOS in choosing what stays and what gets pulled, but they have the right to determine that.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:39 PM
2 moms liked this
I guess you shouldn't teach your child about freedom of speech since you have no clue what it is.

Quoting CampClan:

CampClan
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM

LOL That is what one of my friend's said when she posted the artical from Liberty.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I find it dispicable that his posts have been removed. But then again FB is clearly run by liberals, what do we expect? 

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
6 moms liked this

Free speech and religious freedom only mean that the government isn't supposed to interfere in your rights.  FB and Youtube aren't the government, therefore they can do whatever they want.  I have no opinion on whether this is right or wrong for them to block his advertising, but judging from Kirk's past statements regarding religion, I have no interest in seeing anything that he is even marginally involved in. 

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

You cannot post anything you want here... 

trust me, I have recieved naughty letters for some of the shit i have posted and it has been removed

privately owned sites can dictate what you put on their pages.

Quoting CampClan:

Why does he not have the right to post it on his FB page? You & I can post whatever we want on FB & here thanks to freedom of speech. So why can't a celebrity?

Quoting autodidact:

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this
As a proud Liberal and Christian this post makes me laugh and roll my eyes all at the same time.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN