Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Obamas use Air Force One as 'personal toy'

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 20 Replies

GOP lawmaker: The Obamas use Air Force One as 'personal toy'

By Pete Kasperowicz - 07/18/13 10:40 AM ET

Rep. Howard Coble (R-N.C.) said Thursday morning that President Obama and first lady Michelle Obama are using Air Force One and other official aircraft as their "personal toys."

"I'm not suggesting ... that we compromise safety or security," Coble said on the House floor. "But the first family, it seems to me, treats Air Force One and related aircraft as their personal toys - a very expensive toy, I might add."

Coble's comments drew a warning from presiding officer Rep. Doug LaMalfa (R-Calif.) not to make improper references to the President.

"I will admit ... that Air Force One belongs to President Obama and his wife, but Air Force One also belongs to you and me, and to every taxpayer in America," Coble continued. "I simply ask the president and his wife to exercise more prudence and discipline regarding their aircraft activities.

"When the wheels of Air Force One are up, the meter is on, and I'm talking about a heap of taxpayer dollars."

Coble said the latest estimates put the operation of Air Force One at $179,000 per hour, and said recent overseas trips by the Obamas have involved other costs, like backup planes, motor transport, security, various staffers, hotel charges and advance security teams.

Coble said Obama was the second most-traveled president of all time during his first term, and that in 2009, Obama traveled more than any other president.

"The plague of the soaring debt continues to bother us, and I respectfully request that President Obama and his wife direct more attention to our soaring debt and deficit and less time on Air Force One," he said.

Coble has complained before about the Obama's travel habits. In February, he said on the House floor that Obama and his wife use Air Force one "very casually," and said taxpayers would be "appreciative" if they reduced their travel.

Thursday morning, Coble also noted criticism of Obama for playing golf with Tiger Woods, but said, "the president's golfing is none of my business."

Read more: http://thehill.com/video/house/311969-gop-lawmaker-obamas-using-air-force-one-as-personal-toy#ixzz2ZW6txYjh
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM
2 moms liked this

psst. . . your petty is showing. 

Peanutx3
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Sigh

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:25 PM

No, I believe it was George W who used Air Force One the most.  

Acid
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:28 PM

And you don't think any other president has done this?

THE ONLY REASON it's news is because so many people dislike this guy....mostly because he's making welfare suckers go to work.

gsprofval
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:38 PM

So typical. When even Congress is complaining it is bad, especially when we have so many people struggling in our country.

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Um, President Obama is making people on welfare go to work? I think you have misread what he is doing.

Quoting Acid:

THE ONLY REASON it's news is because so many people dislike this guy....mostly because he's making welfare suckers go to work.

Acid
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:41 PM

Okay, I'll reprase.

They dislike him because he's more intelligent than the vast majority of Americans.  He didn't fix the mess from his predecessors in 24 hours or less so now they hate him.

Yes, there are more people on welfare right now, but it's because it's a cycle that they don't want to break out of. 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Um, President Obama is making people on welfare go to work? I think you have misread what he is doing.

Quoting Acid:

Only when the last tree has been cut down,
Only when the last river has been poisoned,
Only when the last fish has been caught,
Only then will you find that money cannot be eaten.

— Cree Indian Prophecy

T-HoneyLuv
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:44 PM
4 moms liked this
Well to be fair, if Romney was President they would have saved a TON of money on air conditioning on Air Force One by opening the windows. :|

Quoting autodidact:

psst. . . your petty is showing. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gsprofval
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Why Welfare Spending Has Increased So Much Under Obama

| On 18, Oct 2012

The Obama administration is going to have a difficult time, justifying a recent report that has come out, concerning the upward trend on federal welfare spending.  Actually, welfare has risen a whopping 32% in the last 4 years, so the ‘Obama phone’ video might be pretty indicative of the President’s plan to ‘help’ the impoverished.  The Washington Times reports:

Welfare spending has grown substantially over the past four years, reaching $746 billion in 2011 — or more than Social Security, basic defense spending or any other single chunk of the federal government — according to a new memo by the Congressional Research Service.

Yes, one of the bigger reasons why welfare spending has grown under the Obama administration is because ‘the middle class has been buried the last four years’.  The economy has taken a beating to the point that now 1 in 6 Americans are below the poverty line.  However, the main reason for the welfare increase is that Washington has reduced the qualifications necessary to receive welfare, as stated in the article:

The steady rise in welfare spending, which covers more than 80 programs primarily designed to help low-income Americans, got a big boost from the 2009 stimulus and has grown, albeit somewhat more slowly, in 2010 and 2011. One reason is that more people are qualifying in the weak economy, but the federal government also has broadened eligibility so that more people qualify for programs.

Economically speaking, this problem is turning into a downward spiral of sorts.  For instance…

The economy tanks, putting incomes down, putting people out of work, and putting Americans in the welfare lines.  At the same time, the feds allow more folks to receive welfare by broadening eligibility .  So, the amount of folks on welfare increases dramatically, making the US taxpayer shell out even more dollars to support the welfare demand.  Of course, folks that canwork fulltime jobs produce more for the economy, but when people can’t find jobs, they end up in welfare lines.  Broadened welfare eligibility reduces the incentive to search for that magical 40-hour work week, which means that the economy suffers even more because people who would otherwise be producing are not.

Which brings us to the conclusion…

No, Mr. President, an addiction to welfare spending will not help Americans.  It only hurts us in the long run.

Tag3.0
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

One idiots opinion is not fact. Bitch just mad he doesnt have one. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured