Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"I'm Artistic, You Ni---s is Autistic, Re-----d"(Update with Apology)

Posted by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM
  • 76 Replies

This is from the Autism Speaks website.

Hip Hop Lyric Insults Autism Community

Lyrics from the recently released song "Jodeci Freestyle" from hip hop artists Drake and J.Cole have many in the autism community up in arms. The song, which was released last month and is now getting airplay, contains the following lyric by J. Cole: "I'm artistic, you n----s is autistic, retarded."

These lyrics are offensive and perpetuate negative stereotypes. There are many inspiring individuals with autism and other disabilities who have achieved great success across a variety of artforms, including music. We encourage J. Cole to recognize their talents and learn from the positive example they have set for all of us.

As a parent of 2 children on the Autism spectrum I am deeply disturbed that such a well respected rap artist has chosen to use his abilities in such a way.

If your children listen to this artist will you speak to them about how detrimental it can be to use these words in such a way?

Your thoughts?

ETA: J. Cole Apology

Recently there’s been a trend that includes rappers saying something offensive, only to be attacked for it in the media and pressured to apologize. I have to be completely honest and say there’s a part of me that resents that. I view rap similar to how I view comedy. It’s going to ruffle feathers at times. It’s going to go “too far”. I do not believe that an apology is needed every time someone is offended, especially when that apology is really only for the sake of saving an
endorsement or cleaning up bad press.

With that said, this is not the case today. This letter is sincere.

This apology IS necessary.

In a recent verse on the song “Jodeci Freestyle”, I said something highly offensive to people with Autism. Last week, when I first saw a comment from someone outraged about the lyric, I realized right away that what I said was wrong. I was instantly embarrassed that I would be ignorant enough say something so hurtful. What makes the crime worse is that I should have known better.

To the entire Autism community who expressed outrage, I’m moved and inspired by your passion, and I’m amazed at how strong you are as a unit. I have now read stories online from parents about their struggles and triumphs with raising an Autistic child and I admire how incredibly strong you have to be to do so. It’s touching. It also makes what I said even more embarrassing for me. I feel real shame.
You have every right to be angry.

To anyone suffering from Autism, either mildly or severely, I am sorry. I’m bound to make mistakes in my life, but in my heart I just want to spread Love.

I want to educate myself more on Autism, and I’ll gladly own my mistake and serve as an example to today’s generation that there’s nothing cool about mean-spirited comments about someone with Autism. People with this disorder and their loved ones have to go through so much already, the last thing they need is to hear something as ignorant as what I said. I understand.

To the parents who are fighting through the frustrations that must come with raising a child with severe autism, finding strength and patience that they never knew they had; to the college student with Asperger’s Syndrome; to all those overcoming Autism. You deserve medals, not disrespect. I hope you accept my sincere apology.

Much Love

-Cole

I approve this message!

by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ahappymommy
by Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:45 PM

My son is 9 and autistic, but if I had a child that listened to those artists, I would talk to them about using those words and they wouldnt listen to those artists anymore!!

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM
There's a petition somewhere that you can sign--which I did--to protest. One of my son's self descriptions is "artistic autistic." It bugs me that this guy uses anything similar.
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM

Quoting ahappymommy:

My son is 9 and autistic, but if I had a child that listened to those artists, I would talk to them about using those words and they wouldnt listen to those artists anymore!!

This cd and those lyrics will never find their way into my home. I would love to see this artist be as decent as 50 Cent was when he apologized for extremely insensitive tweets about Autistic people and special needs people.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM

Quoting momtoscott:

There's a petition somewhere that you can sign--which I did--to protest. One of my son's self descriptions is "artistic autistic." It bugs me that this guy uses anything similar.

That is awesome that he identifies as Artistic Autistic! For this rapper to use Autistic as a dirty word, as a word to mean lesser or inferior, he should be ashamed. I hope to see an apology.

These rappers have kids that look up to them. Kids that listen to their music. Autistic kids. What does this say to them?

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:16 PM
2 moms liked this
Ok wow! I am just... WTF is wrong with people?
Unbelievable!
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:19 PM
1 mom liked this
Nice.
nelliesmommy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

rude

OhLaBree
by New Member on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:25 PM
9 moms liked this

It wasn't a tactful thing to say, but have you all listened to most rap lately? Rap isn't tasteful. You could spend your whole life wasting energy on protesting all that offends, but I, personally, don't think that's any way to live a life. 

It's your choice whether or not to let it affect your life in any way. If you don't like it, don't buy his cds. 

But you can't mock free speech at it's finest, just because you don't agree with it. It's sort of like the KKK having a right to have their marches and voice their thoughts. I don't like it, and I don't agree but they have a right to say it. I just won't be joining the KKK any time soon. ::shrugs::

Debmomto2girls
by Debbie on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Quoting OhLaBree:

It wasn't a tactful thing to say, but have you all listened to most rap lately? Rap isn't tasteful. You could spend your whole life wasting energy on protesting all that offends, but I, personally, don't think that's any way to live a life. 

It's your choice whether or not to let it affect your life in any way. If you don't like it, don't buy his cds. 

But you can't mock free speech at it's finest, just because you don't agree with it. It's sort of like the KKK having a right to have their marches and voice their thoughts. I don't like it, and I don't agree but they have a right to say it. I just won't be joining the KKK any time soon. ::shrugs::

This. I think it is disgusting but he has a right to say it.  I would not buy it.

"No human race is superior; no religious faith is inferior. All collective judgements are wrong. Only racists make them" - Elie Wiesel

conejoazul
by on Jul. 19, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I hate that the lyric was made, but this is probably a better perspective to live by.

Quoting OhLaBree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured