Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Freedom From Religion Foundation Opposing Star Of David At Holocaust Memorial

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 29 Replies

Freedom From Religion Foundation Opposing Star Of David At Holocaust Memorial

article image

An atheist group that is known for targeting supposed violations of the separation between church and state recently protested a Holocaust memorial because the monument plans to feature a Star of David.

The Freedom From Religion Foundation, or FFRF, has stated its opposition to the proposed Ohio Statehouse Holocaust memorial because its leaders believe that including the religious symbol would create "legal precedent."

The co-presidents of the FFRF, Don Barker and Annie Laurie Gaylor, wrote a letter to Richard Finan, chair of the Capitol Square Review and Advisory Board about the proposed memorial, The Blaze reported.

“Permitting one permanent sectarian and exclusionary religious symbol ... would create the legal precedent, for instance, to place an equally large or larger permanent Latin cross on Capitol grounds," they wrote. The group maintains that they have an issue with including the star because it is associated with Judaism but have no problem with a Holocaust museum at the capitol.

“The monument could resemble numerous powerful war memorials across the U.S. which do not use any sectarian images, including the national World War II Memorial, the Vietnam Veterans Memorial and the Korean War Veterans Memorial,” the letter continued. “Each is secular in nature and without religious reference, which offends no one and is respected by all.”

The architect who is involved with the project, Daniel Libeskind, purposefully included the star because he says that “one cannot separate the Holocaust from the star.”

Despite the FFRF’s intense opposition, the design was approved.

Sources: The Blaze, The Columbus Dispatch

by on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM
4 moms liked this
First of all, this is the perfect example to use when refuting claims that it's only Christians targeted by this sort of thing.

Secondly, while I understand their thoughts about setting a dangerous precedent, I don't think it's possible to separate the image of the Star of David from the Holocaust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:33 PM

I think that is sad considering that more than Jewish people experienced the holocaust in almost as catastrophic manner.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:38 PM
Not cool. *sigh*
He is not making himself look good. In fact, here, he looks like an ass
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM
They instead of he. Bleh. I hate mobile

Quoting Sekirei:

Not cool. *sigh*

He is not making himself look good. In fact, here, he looks like an ass
Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Do these people never stop. How about we rewrite history to exclude all Christian symbols or Jewish in rhis case and references so we don't offend anyone. How about they just don't visit these places.
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this

That's just it..they are trying their darnedest to rewrite history...

They are full of hate for something they claim not to believe in...

Quoting Koltie6:

Do these people never stop. How about we rewrite history to exclude all Christian symbols or Jewish in rhis case and references so we don't offend anyone. How about they just don't visit these places.

"Our society strives to avoid any possibility of offending anyone- except God"...Billy Graham
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:49 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting IhaveHisjoy:

That's just it..they are trying their darnedest to rewrite history...

They are full of hate for something they claim not to believe in...

Quoting Koltie6:

This has nothing to do with hate.

This has to do with consistency.

I am unsure how accurate a Holocause museum would be without references to Judaism and Star of David, but the FFRF is against any religious symbolism on governmental/public property.

In general I agree with them.

In this case, I am unsure they are right, even though I "get" why they are saying what they are.  

Courthouse lawns are not natural places where crosses or creches would be.

Holocaust museums which are about documenting the Jewish experience of extermination in WWII, I think Star of David, which the Jews were forced to wear to be sure they were known and not hiding, Star of David likely belongs.

We'll see what happens.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 20, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Where is the Star of David to be displayed, and how? I would have to know these facts before making an informed decision. I can see the point they are making by this objection, but context makes all the difference.
meriana
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stormcris:

I think that is sad considering that more than Jewish people experienced the holocaust in almost as catastrophic manner.

Of course people of other faiths suffered, were sent to concentration camps, etc. but it was generally because of their resistance to Hitler and the Third Reich, or the fact they were found to be hiding or in some manner helping Jews, not because of their faith. The Jewish people, on the other hand, were specifically targeted as a whole for what was hoped would end in utter and complete extermination. The Star of David at a Holocaust museum tends to drive home that point and serves to remind us that we must be watchful so that in the present and future, nothing like that ever again happens
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jul. 20, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this
In this case, I think he's wrong. There is no way to separate Judaism from the holocaust. At least, it shouldn't be separated. The other war examples given had not much to do with religion so if course, using a religious symbol in those cases wouldn't be appropriate. Bad comparison.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)