Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Unschooling: Education, or Abuse?

Posted by   + Show Post

Unschooling
- An educational method/philosophy that rejects compulsory school as a primary means for learning.
- Unschoolers learn through life experiences.
- Such experiences include: Play, games, household chores, personal interest and curiosity.
- Other experiences include: Internships/work experience, travel, books, family, mentors/social interaction.
- Encourages exploration of activities initiated by children, believing the more personal the more meaningful.

While courses may be taken unschool questions:
- The usefulness of curricula
- The usefulness of grading methods
- The usefulness of traditional schooling in maximizing the education of each unique child.

Now, I've seen the Wife Swap episode with this family recently.
The children couldn't read or write properly for their ages (failing to read very simple words).

What's your take on all of this?
Do you consider it a new take on education, or a form of abuse?

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:56 PM
Replies (161-163):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 8:29 AM

This is like Lord of the Flies. Sadly, those children will never actually LEARN about Lord of the Flies. Does that make their lives more enriched? I say NO!

It makes them ignorant savages.

This is neglectful parenting. 

jl89
by on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I can't speak for everyone, only my personal experience. I went to public school from beginning to end. My younger brother, however, was kind of "unschooled"? I feel that I am pretty smart...but quite often he seems much smarter than I am. 

HaileysMom07180
by Bronze Member on Sep. 10, 2013 at 9:37 AM

i think its irrisponsible the way she's doing it.  i do agree with a child learning about things they are interested in.  I don't however agree with allowing your child to run your household, choose every meal.  if i allowed my dd to do that, she would never have healthy food.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)