Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

FDA to set new limits on arsenic in apple juice

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM
  • 16 Replies

FDA sets new limits on arsenic in apple juice after pressure from parents, consumer groups

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/fda-sets-new-limits-arsenic-apple-juice-pressure-parents-consumer-groups-article-1.1396990#ixzz2ZkJGsmfH

Kids who love their apple juice can guzzle to their hearts’ content now that the federal government has put a lid on arsenic levels in the popular fruit drink.

The Food and Drug Administration has lowered its cap on how much arsenic can appear in apple juice after a year of public pressure from worried parents and consumer groups who feared the contaminant’s effect on children.

Apple juice is second only to orange juice in popularity nationwide, leaving many worried that kids were ingesting too much of the cancer-causing agent with their favorite fruity libation. Various studies have shown that apple juice contains low levels of arsenic, a known carcinogen. Arsenic occurs naturally in dirt and has also been found in water and is used in pesticides. The FDA has monitored arsenic in apple juice for decades and has long said the levels were not dangerous to small children.

But a controversy broke out after Dr. Mehmet Oz highlighted arsenic juice levels on his wildly popular afternoon TV show in 2010. Oz got in a public slinging match with the FDA, which disputed his findings that arsenic levels in juice should be regulated as tightly as those in drinking water, only to reverse that position this week. Now the acceptable level for arsenic in apple juice is the same amount currently permitted in drinking water - 10 parts arsenic per billion.

“I applaud the FDA's new guidelines on arsenic limits in beverages as an example of how our system works when scientists engage in healthy debate. My work with the FDA surrounding our arsenic show coverage concluded with their pledge to review acceptable limits and today they have delivered on that pledge and made each home a safer place with less poisons” Oz said in a release.

According to FDA officials, the majority of juices already on the market are well below the new threshold — but those that aren’t could be removed from shelves and face legal action if they don’t comply with the new standards.

The FDA’s new standard targets inorganic arsenic (the type found in pesticides) which can be toxic and may pose a cancer risk if consumed at high levels or over a long period. Organic arsenic occurs naturally in dirt and soil and passes through the body quickly without causing harm, according to the FDA. Many apples used to produce juice are from countries where arsenic in pesticides is not regulated, which means it finds its way into the U.S. food chain through imported goods, according to producers at Oz’s show.

The FDA’s new number is based on lifetime exposure to arsenic and the potential for long-term cancer risk. The agency will take comments on the draft regulation for 60 days before making it binding.

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 22, 2013 at 12:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Kids who guzzle their hearts out on any kind of juice will grow up to be noticably shorter than kids who grow up getting more nutrients with their calories.

It would be better, frankly, if they ate the apple and had a glass of water.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:02 AM
Obviously but at least if children still drink AJ they'll get less arsenic...

Quoting LindaClement:

Kids who guzzle their hearts out on any kind of juice will grow up to be noticably shorter than kids who grow up getting more nutrients with their calories.

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Whenever I buy strawberries/blueberries, I wash them out before I put them in the fridge now. There have been quite a few times, where my daughter was too quiet, so I went to check on her only to find her quietly stuffing her face with them lol.

I've always heard that too much juice was bad on the basis that it was too sugary.

Quoting LindaClement:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Probably... depends on the dose as much as the concentration.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Obviously but at least if children still drink AJ they'll get less arsenic...

Quoting LindaClement:

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:27 AM
1 mom liked this

We used to joke that our kids ate 35 pounds of fruit a week :D

Quoting collectivecow:

Whenever I buy strawberries/blueberries, I wash them out before I put them in the fridge now. There have been quite a few times, where my daughter was too quiet, so I went to check on her only to find her quietly stuffing her face with them lol.

I've always heard that too much juice was bad on the basis that it was too sugary.

Quoting LindaClement:

glitterteaz
by Ruby Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 1:42 AM

I love apple juice. I use it to make frozen fruit smoothies. I LOVE IT!!!

Koltie6
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 8:04 AM
ORGANIC.
cindilou13
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Kids shouldn't 'guzzle to their hearts content' of any juice!  We diluted juice 1/2 & 1/2 with water until they were 3 or 4 and still only allowed a couple servings a day, and they rarely drink it all now.  Apple juice wasn't one we drank much of anyway-DS never could drink more than a single serving of apple juice without it affecting his digestion adversely, and I don't like it myself, so we just rarely had it on hand.

Definitely agree that contaminants should be stricly monitored and limited, but so should juice consumption.  And drinking just organic won't eliminate contaminants since they occur in the dirt things are grown in too, not just from added pesticides, etc.

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

My pediatrician always said no apple juice.  She was anti-most juices, to be honest.  She said they should be eating fruits and veggies and not drinking them, plus, most fruit juices are just sugary and have most of the goodness of the pectin, fiber, and vitamins taken out when they juice.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Arsenic is a naturally occurring chemical. It's in our drinking water...its in the water we use to water crops so it's in our food as well. Eating organic won't protect you from it in any way.

Quoting Koltie6:

ORGANIC.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)