Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

14yo George Stinney Executed - True Story

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM
  • 50 Replies

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0101549/plotsummary?ref_=tt_ov_pl

Quote:

George Junius Stinney Jr., the 14-year-old Black boy who died as the youngest person ever executed in the United States in the 20th century, would have been 83-years-old this Sunday. Instead, his birthday will serve as a haunting reminder of why the death penalty needs to be abolished. When two White girls, 11-year-old Betty June Binnicker and 8-year-old Mary Emma Thames, went missing in Alcolu, S.C., on March 22, 1944, after riding in to town on their bicycles, Stinney was arrested the following day for allegedly murdering them. 

snip 

Without his parents, Stinney was interrogated by several White officers for hours. A deputy eventually emerged announcing that Stinney had confessed to the girls’ murders. The young boy allegedly told the deputies that he wanted to have sex with the 11-year-old girl, but had to kill the younger one to do it. When the 8-year-old supposedly refused to leave, he allegedly killed both of them because they refused his sexual advances. 

To coerce his confession, deputies reportedly offered the child an ice cream cone. There is no record of a confession. No physical evidence that he committed the crime exists. His trial — if you want to call it that — lasted less than two hours. No witnesses were called. No defense evidence was presented. And the all-White jury deliberated for all of 10 minutes before sentencing him to death. 

On June 16, 1944, his frail, 5-foot-1, 95-pound body was strapped in to an electric chair at a state correctional facility in Columbia, S.C. Dictionaries had to be stacked on the seat of the chair so that he could properly sit in the seat. But even that didn’t help. When the first jolts of electricity hit him, the head mask reportedly slipped off, revealing the agony on his face and the tears streaming down his cheeks. Only after several more jolts of electricity did the boy die. 

http://newsone.com/2061550/george-junius-stinney-jr-birthday/

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:16 AM
1 mom liked this

sad

fivegirls333
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:20 AM

what is the matter with you!  this was 100 yrs ago!  people like you spread hate under some theory of i don't even know what!!!  how about some dead babies from abortion clinics?...what is your point!  i would like to punch you in the boob!

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:21 AM
2 moms liked this

I heard about this. How horrible. How they can execute a 14 year old is beyond me. Those men should be going through eternal hell for what they did to this poor boy. 

This did happen a long time ago when civil rights wasn't even a consideration. Certainly not something of this era. 

LCG83
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Horrific. :(
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this

I had never heard about this. I was taken aback. Its truly sad and still there is so much injustince in the world.

Quoting GOBryan:

I heard about this. How horrible. How they can execute a 14 year old is beyond me. Those men should be going through eternal hell for what they did to this poor boy. 

This did happen a long time ago when civil rights wasn't even a consideration. Certainly not something of this era. 

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:24 AM
7 moms liked this
No, it wasn't. And this is still relevant today.
And how many babies that were saved from abortion have YOU adopted?!

Quoting fivegirls333:

what is the matter with you!  this was 100 yrs ago!  people like you spread hate under some theory of i don't even know what!!!  how about some dead babies from abortion clinics?...what is your point!  i would like to punch you in the boob!

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:25 AM

Point being that there is still injustice in this world and not everyone is given a fair trial even 83 years later.

Quoting fivegirls333:

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:26 AM
2 moms liked this
That poor boy.....
Having a son about that age, i can't imagine the pain his mama felt.... :(
RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:29 AM
1 mom liked this
What the hell are you babbling about?

My goodness.

Quoting fivegirls333:

GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 7:32 AM
2 moms liked this

There is. The courts aren't about justice, it's about conviction. The prosecutors will lie, cheat and steal to prosecute someone. They don't care if they are innocent or not.  The jails are filled with many innocent people who simply didn't have the money to fight them. Doesn't matter the color or nationality. If it doesn't make media or you don't have funds to fight, then you won't get a fair trial. 

Larry Flynt said it best "The court system isn't about justice, it's about an opportunity for justice." 

Quoting -Celestial-:

I had never heard about this. I was taken aback. Its truly sad and still there is so much injustince in the world.

Quoting GOBryan:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured