Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Poll: Is the term "anti-choice" derogatory?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
  • 237 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you feel that the term "anti-choice" is derogatory?

Options:

Yes and I am Pro-Life

Yes and I am Pro-Choice

No and I am Pro-Life

No and I am Pro-Choice

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 138

View Results

How do you define "Anti-choice"?     "Pro-choice"?      "Pro-life"?    "Anti-life"?  

It seems recently that more and more people have begun using this term, claiming it's not derogatory, so I have included a poll to see how the opposite sides of the debate feel about this term.  

Additional, what makes a term "derogatory", in your opinion?  

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I think it's reductive and as unhelpful as terms like "pro abortion." In debates, I think the general rule is to refer to people using the terms they use to refer to themselves, doing otherwise is a good way to turn a dialogue into a cat fight.

Also, Pro-life means more than just being against abortion.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Quoting AlekD:

I think it's reductive and as unhelpful as terms like "pro abortion." In debates, I think the general rule is to refer to people using the terms they use to refer to themselves, doing otherwise is a good way to turn a dialogue into a cat fight.

I absolutely agree and think that's the main point... using terms that other people find offensive isn't productive to actually having a discussion on the topic.

How would you define "pro-life", what does it include?

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM
4 moms liked this

I am not bothered by anti-choice-Very, very few people are truly pro-life.

Any condition placed (life of mom, rape, death penalty, "innocent" life, self defense) is a choice.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes...anti-choice and pro-abortion offend those who are pro-life and pro-choice, of which I'm the latter. I'm not a fan of pro-life, either. It implies those with an opposing view are pro-death. I think all of us are generally pro-life and pro-choice...it's the legality of abortion where we differ.
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Quoting Sisteract:

I am not bothered by anti-choice-Very, very few people are truly pro-life.

Any condition placed (life of mom, rape, death penalty, "innocent" life, self defense) is a choice.

So, how do you define "Pro-life", what makes someone "pro-life"?   How do you define "pro-choice"?   

I'm sorry, I don't understand the second part... any condition placed on what?

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Pro-Life generally encompasses an opposition to both abortion and the death penalty, in some cases it also includes being anti-war.

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting AlekD:

I absolutely agree and think that's the main point... using terms that other people find offensive isn't productive to actually having a discussion on the topic.

How would you define "pro-life", what does it include?

"True joy does not come from owning something, it comes from the encounter in relations with others, in feeling loved and understood. Because joy comes from the gratefulness of an encounter. The joy of "the encounter with Jesus" and in "feeling loved by God. " Pope Francis                                                    My Blog

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's derogatory, but I also think it can be accurate for some people.

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Yes...anti-choice and pro-abortion offend those who are pro-life and pro-choice, of which I'm the latter. I'm not a fan of pro-life, either. It implies those with an opposing view are pro-death. I think all of us are generally pro-life and pro-choice...it's the legality of abortion where we differ.

They really aren't very accurate terms.   They were both created to make either side more appealing to the larger population.    Pro/anti-abortion would seem to be the logical terms... but people take offence to pro-abortion as well, so... maybe pro/anti abortion rights??   I'm not sure... I just let people self-indentify.   We all know what they mean.  

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Like who?   Do you think it's ok to use a derogatory term as long as you think it's accurate?

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:53 AM
4 moms liked this

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

Quoting romalove:

Like who?   Do you think it's ok to use a derogatory term as long as you think it's accurate?

I think there are some people who are anti-choice.  They don't want women to have choices to get birth control, or abortion, and only want them to live as they think they should live.  I think those people are anti-choice.  I think it's derogatory in that I myself wouldn't want to be thought of as against other people's choices, but I think it's accurate because those people are against choice.

I don't think it's insulting, it's negative, because it's a negative way to be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN