Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"We're racist & proud!"

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM
  • 103 Replies

Pro-Zimmerman, Pro-Trayvon Martin groups meet in tense standoff in Houston

MANDATORY CREDIT

James Nielsen/AP

A George Zimmerman supporter holds a sign during a counter-demonstration of activist Quanell X's group march in the River Oaks community in Houston on Sunday.

Supporters of Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman came face-to-face Sunday during a march through a wealthy neighborhood in Houston.

Some 80 pro-Zimmerman supporters waved signs and shouted slogans at Martin supporters as they passed through the neighborhood of River Oaks, an upscale enclave deemed "Houston's Sanford, Florida" by the organizer of the Trayvon rally, the Houston Chronicle reported.

The dueling groups converged on a wealthy Houston neighborhood in reaction to the not-guilty verdict in the shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin.

James Nielsen/AP

The dueling groups converged on a wealthy Houston neighborhood in reaction to the not-guilty verdict in the shooting death of Florida teen Trayvon Martin.

Separated by cops on horseback and specialized crowd control units, the two sides traded insults and shouted slogans at each another but never clashed physically.

The two groups traded barbs and shouted slogans at each other, though the rallies remained mostly peaceful.

James Nielsen/AP

The two groups traded barbs and shouted slogans at each other, though the rallies remained mostly peaceful.

As the pro-Martin group passed with signs calling for "Justice for Trayvon," Zimmerman backers shouted in support of Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law and held up signs that said, "Keep Calm and Stand Your Ground," "If the Head Is Split You Must Acquit," and "Remove the Black Panthers from the U.S.A."

A demonstrator holds up an image of Trayvon Martin as she walks down a street in River Oaks.

Alan Warren/AP

A demonstrator holds up an image of Trayvon Martin as she walks down a street in River Oaks.

One woman in the Zimmerman group held a sign that said, "We're racist & proud."

Austin resident Renee Vaughan echoed the sign’s ugly sentiments by yelling, "We're racist. We're proud. We're better because we're white," at the Martin group as they passed, according to the Chronicle.

The "Justice for Trayvon" march was organized by Houston activist Quanell X, center in vest.

Alan Warren/AP

The "Justice for Trayvon" march was organized by Houston activist Quanell X, center in vest.

The march on River Oaks was organized by activist Quanell X, the leader of the New Black Panther Party in Houston.

Trayvon Martin supporters during the rally in Houston.

Alan Warren/AP

Trayvon Martin supporters during the rally in Houston.

During the rally, he dismissed the pro-Zimmerman crowd, telling supporters, "To be honest with you, we don't give a damn about anybody supporting George Zimmerman ..."

Cameron Belcher plays a mandolin among a group of Zimmerman supporters.

James Nielsen/AP

Cameron Belcher plays a mandolin among a group of Zimmerman supporters.

The tense confrontation came a week and a day after the 29-year-old neighborhood watch volunteer was acquitted of murder charges for shooting the 17-year-old Martin in February 2012.

Over the weekend, more than 100 rallies protesting the ruling were held in cities nationwide.

In New York on Saturday, the slain teen's mom, Sybrina Fulton, was joined by Jay-Z, Beyonce and the Rev. Al Sharpton at a "Justice for Trayvon" rally.

Wearing a T-shirt with a photo of her son in a hooded sweatshirt, Fulton fought back tears as she told a crowd in lower Manhattan, "George Zimmerman started the fight, and George Zimmerman ended the fight,"

"My son died without even knowing who his killer was. …Today it was my son. Tomorrow it might be yours."

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

One of the posters is correct in that Quannel X is a racist.  He is.

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Racist pride and protesting are nothing new.Just as long as there is no violence it is a free country.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM
2 moms liked this

You couldn't pay me to be in the middle of this.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

At least they are honest.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:22 PM
5 moms liked this

I wonder which CM member that is....

And I'm sure I'm going to be told that she's just a fringe element.  Bullshit.  There are plenty of her around.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:23 PM

But Quanell X is a normal representation of a black activist?

Quoting shannonnigans:

I wonder which CM member that is....

And I'm sure I'm going to be told that she's just a fringe element.  Bullshit.  There are plenty of her around.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AlekD:

That's what I was thinking. At least I know where to steer clear of if I ever go to Texas.

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM
4 moms liked this
"We're racists and proud."

What dumbasses.
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

But River Oaks isn't one of those places.  This is a place filled with Obama donors.

Quoting lizmarie1975:

Quoting AlekD:

That's what I was thinking. At least I know where to steer clear of if I ever go to Texas.

Aamy
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM
(><)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN