Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

33 hurt, 3 dead in 22 weekend NYC shootings. Where's the outrage?!?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
JRM
  • 134 Replies
4 moms liked this

Police are looking into several shootings in Brooklyn and across New York City in what turned out to be a very violent weekend.

The number of victims is at nearly three dozen, with three fatalities.

Three men and a woman were hit in an apparent drive-by shooting in Crown Heights just before 10 p.m. Sunday. The incident occured on Lincoln Place and Rochester Avenue.

That brought the weekend total in the borough up to 11, with 22 shootings reported across the city. From 12:01 a.m. Friday until 11:59 p.m. Sunday, the NYPD says 33 people were wounded.

The Crown Heights shooting left the female victim in grave condition with bullet wounds to both thighs.

The three male also victims suffered bullet wounds to the legs. Two of the men are in their 40s, and one is in his 50s. They are all expected to survive.

Witnesses tell police that the victims were sitting on a stoop when a white or silver vehicle drove by and opened fire.

I hate to say it but get used to this New York City residents. You have handcuffed the cops, bad guys are not getting stopped and are not afraid to carry their guns. Think 1980's because it is headed back in that direction. It was only a matter of time before the politicians completely ruined all the hard work that the great men and women of the NYPD were able to do over the last 25 years. Al...Al....anybody see Al?  Where is he? Quick ..everybody look under a rock for that so-called community activist. Nothing to say on this topic huh Al?

....I am only responsible for what I say,NOT for what you understand.....
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this

Pendulum.

It will have to get bad enough for them to bring another Rudy in.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:09 AM
11 moms liked this

I must have missed the part where someone, anyone, orchestrated these crimes, called police, admitted to the shootings and were allowed to tell multiple, varying stories and promptly take their gun(s) and go home.

Please keep us updated-

Apples to appled, if one is attempting to "make" a point-

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Why are New Yorkers complacent with the violence in their city?  If y'all don't care who should?   While you mock Al Sharpton for not speaking out, aren't residents responsible for their own complacency and silence?  

Citygirlk
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

I'm So sick of these  Where's the outrage post.  It just make you and other posters look bad. 

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting katy_kay08:

Why are New Yorkers complacent with the violence in their city?  If y'all don't care who should?   While you mock Al Sharpton for not speaking out, aren't residents responsible for their own complacency and silence?  

The problem is, to a certain extent, JoshandRachelsMomma is right.  The police have been handcuffed with a lot of policies that have aimed to make things "fairer" and to try and keep down police shootings.  The current administration is very busy trying to prevent people from having soda, but not in making the streets safer.

There has to be more community involvement, and there has to be ways to get the police to be involved in the communities they serve.  There has to be trust of the cops in those communities, and right now, there isn't.  Plus, the cops are afraid if they do anything they will not be supported and in fact can be fired and sued.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:15 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Pendulum.

Girl, I kid you not - on our ( group) FB page, they were counting how many shootings there were. That's not counting the rape where the woman was tossed off the roof, the woman found in the dumpster in the Bronx, the robberies, the burglaries....

The union has advised the cops to respond to radio runs and take their reports. Do the minimum. No independent action. No stopping people for any reason, even if they're suspected of carrying a weapon. Because if that person merely "feels" s/he is being profiled and sues them - the City will not indemnify them. Glad (and sad) that I'm retired and moved out of that city.

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Quoting JoshRachelsMAMA:

Quoting romalove:

Pendulum.

Girl, I kid you not - on our (PD group) FB page, they were counting how many shootings there were. That's not counting the rape where the woman was tossed off the roof, the woman found in the dumpster in the Bronx, the robberies, the burglaries....

The union has advised the cops to respond to radio runs and take their reports. Do the minimum. No independent action. No stopping people for any reason, even if they're suspected of carrying a weapon. Because if that person merely "feels" s/he is being profiled and sues them - the City will not indemnify them. Glad (and sad) that I'm retired and moved out of that city.

I believe it.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:18 AM
5 moms liked this
We can only reach the "outrage" stage when we are told to be outrage by the media. Until then, we will just be happy with Zimmerman news.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Citygirlk:

I'm So sick of these  Where's the outrage post.  It just make you and other posters look bad. 

Would it make you feel better if I removed that part of the title? It will change nothing.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting katy_kay08:

The problem is, to a certain extent, JoshandRachelsMomma is right.  The police have been handcuffed with a lot of policies that have aimed to make things "fairer" and to try and keep down police shootings.  The current administration is very busy trying to prevent people from having soda, but not in making the streets safer.

There has to be more community involvement, and there has to be ways to get the police to be involved in the communities they serve.  There has to be trust of the cops in those communities, and right now, there isn't.  Plus, the cops are afraid if they do anything they will not be supported and in fact can be fired and sued.

All of this starts at home and ultimately requires more than community action, it requires political action.  

Unless of course this original post was just another jab at why people were so involved with the Zimmerman trial.  If that was the case, it's been done and done better.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)