Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Shaming? Is it discipline or abuse?

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM
  • 47 Replies

Is making a child stand on a corner holding up a sign like this really an acceptable form of discipline or does it cross the line into abuse?

This is an old image, but I've seen stories like this all over the place and my dad even passed one when he was traveling through GA last week.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Not my style of parenting, but not abuse either.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:19 AM

More effective than a grounding or a time out.

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I don't think it is abuse.  I wouldn't make my child stand on a corner with a sign.  I certainly don't hesitate to make them feel ashamed when their behavior warrents it.  IMO, the possiblity of shame (feeling ashamed) can be a great tool.  That and fear of my Mom kept me on the straight and narrow.

Ziva65
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:22 AM

I don't think it's abuse, but I'm not sure how effective it is.

okiemamaCyndi
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Abuse is a far stretch. 

This is creative discipline - do you really think a child is going to be scarred for life by this???  PUH-LEASE.  Our children now live in a society where anything and everything you do could be posted for the entire world to see and discuss - better get them ready for it early people.  It's not like it was when most of us where growing up - times they are a-changin!

Parents embarrass their children all the time time - although most often its probably unintentionally - lol!  Many of you probably think you haven't - or you never will, yeah....you're probably right. :)

ElitestJen
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I'm not a fan of shaming young kids. Older, as in teenagers, their peer group is a powerful tool. In fact, I used it just last night (not with a sandwich board or a street corner).
Mommabearbergh
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:25 AM
It's not abuse . Embarrassing as all hell but I don't think shaming is a bad thing. My mom would tell my aunt and grandma about my bad behavior and I would think wow your just throwing me under the bus. I didn't redo the bad behavior though. That lil girl is lucky all she had to do was hold a sign after bringing boys into her parents home. Parents are trying to find ways that are effective and not phyisically harming them and this seems like a good way.
jhslove
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it's abusive, but I think it's really "been there, done that" and isn't effective.

I really hate the current notion that kids should never be made to feel ashamed. Shame is a very powerful deterrent, and when we do something wrong, we SHOULD feel ashamed of our actions.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally think that discipline should be soley between the parents and the child. You have to start expecting and rewarding good behavior from the time they are toddlers. You can't suddenly start when they are teenagers.

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I think its a case by case basis. I wouldn't make my child stand on a street corner for being mouthy. But if I found out he was in some way humiliating another child he would publicly apologize to that child which probably would be a little embarrassing for him.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN