Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Shaming? Is it discipline or abuse?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is making a child stand on a corner holding up a sign like this really an acceptable form of discipline or does it cross the line into abuse?

This is an old image, but I've seen stories like this all over the place and my dad even passed one when he was traveling through GA last week.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (11-20):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I would not do it but I do not find it to be abusive.

furbabymum
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:27 PM

I would not do that. Not the sign on the street thing. I would post something shameful on their FB if their offense was FB related.

sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:32 PM
Indirect shaming maybe.

For example. My 6 year old picked up dog poop at camp with a stick and chased another kid with it. I was like WTF dude?

So I sent him to camp the next day and made him pick up the dog poop in front of his friends.

He won't be messing with dog poo again.

Wearing signage is a little ridiculous to me. Cancel the cell phone plan. Isn't that devastating for a teenager today?
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM

OF course its not abusive. We need to stop treating kids like delicate snowflakes. 

Rubberbiscuit
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM
3 moms liked this

I think this is a breach of trust between the parent and child.  Jasmine will remember that her parents shamed her like this and will probably not turn to them if she is in trouble in the future and needs them.  I think that the way to handle this is to bring her to the doctor for bc, and speak to her about consequences.  I would also consider therapy, so that she could have someone responsible and trustworthy to speak to about her troubles.  This is probably a symptom of Jasmines low self-esteem and shaming her will only lower her self-esteem further. 

parentalrights1
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I think this case is a bad one. They didn't simply embarrass their daughter and teach her a lesson. Girls are treated like dirt when it comes to sexuality and all they did was public ally slut shame her. It goes far deeper than simple embarrassment in this case
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting parentalrights1:

I think this case is a bad one. They didn't simply embarrass their daughter and teach her a lesson. Girls are treated like dirt when it comes to sexuality and all they did was public ally slut shame her. It goes far deeper than simple embarrassment in this case

IMO, sex and reproduction are areas where many people project their own embarrassment and shame- people who are uncomfortable with intimacy attempt to make others uncomfortable with intimacy- Very immature approach, IMO.

I also think shame/embarrassment are pretty lazy parenting tactics.

katy_kay08
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I think there is a fine line of when shame crosses the line, but I do feel that the more recent parenting trends of praising everything a child does and avoiding any hint of shame in their choices has lead to a generation of over indulged children lacking empathy and personal accountability.  

I think a little shame when it's due isn't such a bad thing.  IMO, feeling a bit of shame helps to remind us to make better choices in the future.  

JanetMonroe1991
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Well if she acts like a slut....

Quoting parentalrights1:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Some kids just do not respond to normal punishements, this is not abuse and I would do it to get my teenagers attention,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN