Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Shaming? Is it discipline or abuse?

Posted by   + Show Post

Is making a child stand on a corner holding up a sign like this really an acceptable form of discipline or does it cross the line into abuse?

This is an old image, but I've seen stories like this all over the place and my dad even passed one when he was traveling through GA last week.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 11:16 AM
Replies (31-40):
D-Town
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 5:36 PM

My philosophy is if the behavior didn't embarass them then holding a sign in public won't either. If it was embarrassing, they wouldn't have acted up in the first place.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I don't think it's very effective or respectful of your child.  But I don't think it's abusive either. 

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Jul. 23, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Not abuse.  I wouldn't do it because there is no way I would share my dirty laundry on a street corner, I won't even get on FB, so I cannot expect my child to do the same.

ZombieMeat
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I don't think it's abuse, but I do think discipline should remain between parent and child.
The only exception would be if someone else(meaning they did something to another person), then an apology will be made and perhaps a little work.
x_Starr_x
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM
I love this idea and plan to use it if I ever need too
Bieg9093
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

It's a desperate move...and probably not all that effective most of the time.  But not abuse.

I'd make an exception to my above opinion for the guy from North Carolina who, last year, posted a rebuttal to his daughters bratty and disrespectful facebook posts.  You remember the one where he shot the child's laptop 8 times?  I think that was a perfectly natural consequence.

onethentwins
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I don't think it's abusive per se, but it's horrible parenting. I'm not surprised the child doesn't respect them.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Abuse? Not technically.

It certainly isn't good parenting either.

Humiliation isn't a great parenting strategy, but in most of these cases, it seems that the situation may already be pretty far off the rails. So, it seems like a desperate last ditch effort that is doomed to failure.

Communication is our most important tool in parenting, especially older children. This is not communication, it illustrates a failure of communication.

babie113
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:13 PM

its not abuse but i duno if this works or not

PeeperSqueak5
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:33 PM
It works : )
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)