Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Postal Service may end door-to-door delivery

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM
  • 76 Replies

Postal Service may end door-to-door delivery

Posted: Jul 23, 2013 11:51 AM EST Updated: Jul 23, 2013 11:52 AM EST

Door-to-door mail delivery could be a thing of the past if House Republicans get their way.

It's part of a proposal to overhaul the U.S. Postal Service.

Under the plan, residents would pick up their mail from clusters of mail boxes located in their neighborhood.

Most apartment complexes and new communities already adopt this form of mail delivery.

But, the bill would require everyone to get mail from a curbside or cluster box.

Ending door-to-door delivery would save the cash-strapped postal service about $4.5 billion a year. That's more than the $3 billion it would have saved from ending Saturday mail service, according to government reports.

But unions say it's a bad idea and will be disruptive for the elderly and disabled.

YOUR VOICE: What's your take on the proposed plan? Would you mind picking up your mail? Post your comments in the section below.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cindilou13
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 12:48 PM
3 moms liked this

Our neighborhood is fairly new, we all have mailboxes, and so that the driver didn't have to make a loop, they are all on the same side of the road, meaning 1/2 of us have to walk across a busy acess road to get our mail...it's dangerous since apparently people can't read the speed limit signs!  I don't know where they could add a cluster area/box that wouldn't be a traffic and/or safety hazard! 

What about non-neighborhood customers?  Rural customers? Would there be a cluster mailbox every few blocks/miles or what?  I don't see how it's feasible. 

And as in the post, what about people who can't walk/get to a cluster box easily?  Would they have to apply for a 'handicapped mailbox" in the same way as a handicapped parkign tag or something. 

I think it would be reasonable to require every house have a roadside box as opposed to 'on the house' box, but not cluster boxes.  They should end Saturday service instead if they can't figure out how to do it another way.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I already receive my mail from my curb-side box. The only time the postal worker comes to my door is if the package is too large to fit in the box.

I get the issue re: the disabled and the elderly. However, honestly, if they are too elderly and disabled to get themsleves to the mailbox by their curb, then perhaps those individuals are in no position to be living independently.

I also support the stoppage of Saturday mail. Nothing comes in the Saturday mail that can;t wait for Monday.

emelymac
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:36 PM

I'm having a hard time picturing this working in my town. 

SuperChicken
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:37 PM

The elderly and disabled in new communities already have to deal with curbside boxes.   

Saphira1207
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I think this requires a lot more discussion of the possible drawbacks that others have mentioned.  I don't know how I feel about it beyond that yet.

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:39 PM
We have only lived in neighborhoods that have this system and it hasn't been that terrible. Maybe the elderly and disabled can fill out an exemption form or something.
CorCrox
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this
My in-laws live in a rural area, and they have a cluster box about a mile away. The issue for them isn't access, it's with vandalism. I don't mind our cluster box, but I am hesitant to place outgoing mail in it, as I've heard people frequently steal that.

Quoting cindilou13:

Our neighborhood is fairly new, we all have mailboxes, and so that the driver didn't have to make a loop, they are all on the same side of the road, meaning 1/2 of us have to walk across a busy acess road to get our mail...it's dangerous since apparently people can't read the speed limit signs!  I don't know where they could add a cluster area/box that wouldn't be a traffic and/or safety hazard! 

What about non-neighborhood customers?  Rural customers? Would there be a cluster mailbox every few blocks/miles or what?  I don't see how it's feasible. 

And as in the post, what about people who can't walk/get to a cluster box easily?  Would they have to apply for a 'handicapped mailbox" in the same way as a handicapped parkign tag or something. 

I think it would be reasonable to require every house have a roadside box as opposed to 'on the house' box, but not cluster boxes.  They should end Saturday service instead if they can't figure out how to do it another way.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this

We already do this where I live-

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Fine with me.

funmommy123
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 1:45 PM
I live in an apartment. If the mailman left my package on the curb or in the mailbox room, it will get stolen. I'm scared for my package even when it's dropped off at my door lol. I have a neighbor that I don't trust. Usps was never my option of delivery, but it seems like my stuff is transported by UPS, then gets delivered by usps a lot now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)