Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Judge Rules Ohio Must Recognize Gay Couple's Out-Of-State Marriage As One Nears Death

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM
  • 39 Replies

Quote:

Judge Rules Ohio Must Recognize Gay Couple’s Out-Of-State Marriage As One Nears Death

SHARE THIS STORY ON FACEBOOK

TWEET THIS STORY

Gay rights advocate Vin Testa waves a rainbow flag in front of the Supreme Court at sun up in Washington, Wednesday, June 26, 2013. Justices are expected to hand down major rulings on two gay marriage cases that could impact same-sex couples across the country. One is a challenge to California's voter-enacted ban on same-sex marriage. The other is a challenge to a provision of federal law that prevents legally married gay couples from receiving a range of tax, health and pension benefits.Gay rights advocate Vin Testa waves a rainbow flag in front of the Supreme Court at sun up in Washington, Wednesday, June 26, 2013. Justices are expected to hand down major rulings on two gay marriage cases that could impact same-sex couples across the country. One is a challenge to California's voter-enacted ban on same-sex marriage. The other is a challenge to a provision of federal law that prevents legally married gay couples from receiving a range of tax, health and pension benefits.

CINCINNATI (AP) — A federal judge has ruled in favor of two Ohio men who want their out-of-state marriage recognized as one of them nears death.

Federal Judge Timothy Black says ailing John Arthur’s death certificate can show James Obergefell (OH’-bur-kuh-fel) as his surviving spouse so they can be buried next to each other.

Ohio doesn’t recognize gay marriage.

A lawsuit filed by the Cincinnati couple last week says they recently married on an airport tarmac in Maryland before returning to Cincinnati the same day.

The suit says the pair have been in love for more than 20 years, that Arthur is likely on the verge of dying from a disease with no cure, and that “they very much want the world to officially remember and record their union as a married couple.”

___

Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer, http://www.enquirer.com

Copyright 2013 The Associated Press.

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:23 PM
5 moms liked this

Good. I'm glad they can have this happiness in Arthur's last days.

FrogSalad
by Sooze on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm glad.  But I'm also wondering if there's a law that non-married people can't be buried next to each other?  That just sounds weird to me.  Why would it matter as long as the plots are paid for?

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:57 PM
and so it begins. The states that have fought the hardest will see their prejudices overruled by the courts soon as the supreme court rulings start to be felt.
Aslen
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:00 PM
I think it could be a next of kin thing

Quoting FrogSalad:

I'm glad.  But I'm also wondering if there's a law that non-married people can't be buried next to each other?  That just sounds weird to me.  Why would it matter as long as the plots are paid for?

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:01 PM

I heard about this today and was thrilled that Ohio is being so forward-thinking. 

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:38 PM

So, all the dead people in Ohio are related?

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:43 PM
That's nice of them.
jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:45 PM
Good
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:18 AM

?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

So, all the dead people in Ohio are related?

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
His family would have the rights to his body, not his husband... They could do anything and legally his husband couldn't do anything about it since he's not next of kin.

Quoting FrogSalad:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)