Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Tampon Earrings: Brilliant Statement or Totally Ridiculous?

Posted by   + Show Post

Tampon Earrings: Brilliant Statement or Totally Ridiculous?

by Maressa Brown

melissa harris-perry tampon earringsEver since women's tampons were confiscated in the midst of the state's abortion law protests, it's been hard not to wag our tongues or roll our eyes about the Texas State Troopers' move to apparently protect lawmakers from having feminine hygiene products hurled at them. Plenty of jokes have been made about the strange incident, but most recently, MSNBC host Melissa Harris-Perry decided to draw attention to it by wearing tampon earrings on her Sunday morning news show ...

She explained that her producer had made them for her and said that women standing up for their own reproductive rights weren't allowed to bring tampons in, so "in case that ever happens again, ladies, you can just bring them on your earrings." Ha!

Okay, so maybe it wasn't the highest-brow way to criticize what happened down there a couple of weeks back in the Lone Star State, but those hygienic accessories certainly got people talking! And that, I'm sure, was fully Harris-Perry's intention ... That seeing how totally ridiculous those earrings are would make us think just how wacky and insane it was for tampons to be taken away from women in the first place.

More from The Stir: Tampons Attacked for Holding Women Back

Sure, anyone thinking they could actually effect change by launching tampons at a lawmaker isn't going about their protest in the right way. But how many women were actually planning on using their tampons as a weapon?! And come on -- even if they were, was it really so much of a threat that the troopers had to start pilfering through their bags? It was simply nuts and only serves to underline how out of control, backasswards things have gotten in this war on women Texas constituents never even asked for politicians to wage.

For calling our attention to the ludicrousness of it all, those tampon earrings totally did their job!

Here's the clip if you missed it ...

What do you think about Melissa Harris-Perry's tampon earrings stunt?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Replies (11-20):
Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:04 AM

They're better than maxi pad earrings

psychomama05
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Yeah!  I have to go with this.

Quoting romalove:

They are both.

Brilliant because they got attention

Ridiculous because, well, they are tampon earrings.  Hello????

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I don't approve of pee flinging. But there is no use for containers of pee. Tampons are different.

Quoting candlegal:

along with all the containers of pee they took away.

Quoting supercarp:

I wouldn't do it myself, but I think it is great.

They took tampons away from women who needed them in the fear that some might get thrown (oooh, save us from the heavy and dangerous projectiles!) Texas, gah.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Not when the express purpose of bringing them is to cause a disruption.  It would be one thing it they were confiscasting one or two tampons, but they were confiscating them by the box.  Who carries a whole box of tampons in their purse for a couple of hours?

Quoting supercarp:

I don't approve of pee flinging. But there is no use for containers of pee. Tampons are different.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

They took tampons away from women who needed them in the fear that some might get thrown (oooh, save us from the heavy and dangerous projectiles!) Texas, gah.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:50 AM

I am willing to bet they took all of the tampons and didn't discern possible usage.

Quoting candlegal:

Not when the express purpose of bringing them is to cause a disruption.  It would be one thing it they were confiscasting one or two tampons, but they were confiscating them by the box.  Who carries a whole box of tampons in their purse for a couple of hours?

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I would be willing to bet the majority of them were for disruption and I am glad they had the sense to confiscate them. If you remember, they were tipped off that they were bringing all this in to disrupt the proceedings.
Quoting supercarp:

I am willing to bet they took all of the tampons and didn't discern possible usage.

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Abortion is legal. We need to stop fighting that and get to the argument we SHOULD be having: why are so many women and girls getting pregnant when they don't want to be? Girls equate sex with love. Boys equate sex with sports.

Why don't those men who are so ardently opposing abortion getting on the bandwagon to stop rapes? How about stopping the "Atta Boy" attitude they give a boy for scoring with a girl? Our society sets up girls for failure and then blames them.

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Those proceedings were designed to take rights away from people. If you were going to have a random right taken away (say, your freedom to walk around freely) wouldn't you rebel?

Quoting candlegal:

I would be willing to bet the majority of them were for disruption and I am glad they had the sense to confiscate them. If you remember, they were tipped off that they were bringing all this in to disrupt the proceedings.
Quoting supercarp:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

There were reports/threats about protest groups planning to throw USED tampons/pads/condoms at politicians.  (DId you know they confiscated condoms, too?)  At that point it is a major health concern, as who knows what could be on them, kwim?  After receiving the tip and doing the bag searches, they did collect a lot of unsafe materials as well, including 18 jars of suspected feces, 1 jar of suspected urine, 3 jars of paint, and bags of glitter.  Even if they only suspected it was fecal matter in the jars, what other purpose would you have to carry a jar of something that looks like poop onto the floor?

Still, I think the manner in which they went about it was entirely wrong.  I think they should have made the threats public knowledge and sent out notices or posted somewhere that they would not allow certain items in that particular meeting due to the threats.  By keeping it secret and just confiscating it made them look like idiots, and now the masses don't know about the threats, just the acts they took to prevent it.

Quoting Stephanie329:

I've read conflicting stories, some stating that the tampon confiscating didn't actually happen. If it did, I can't figure out why. Taking the story is true, it ridiculous so it's fine that this response to it brings home how ridiculous the whole the was.

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Rebel?  Yes.  Fling a tampon or condom at lawmakers on the floor?  No.  There are far better way to rebel.  Plus, there were threats that they'd be throwing USED tampons and condoms on the floor.  In those boxes and boxes they took, I bet there were a few used ones floating around.  They were crazy enough to bring in urine and feces in jars, I bet they were crazy enough to bring in that, too.

Quoting supercarp:

Those proceedings were designed to take rights away from people. If you were going to have a random right taken away (say, your freedom to walk around freely) wouldn't you rebel?

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting supercarp:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN