• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Nigeria Law Says Men Can Marry Baby Girls-SIGN PETITION

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM
  • 105 Replies
1 mom liked this

Please take a moment to sign this petition and then share!

The last few years have tested the longstanding history of traditional marriage. Homosexuals are winning the right to marry in some parts of the world, and a new amendment to Nigeria’s Constitution states that grown men can marry underage girls, even infants.

Pictured above is Nigerian Senator Yerima posing with his child bride, left, and holding his baby bride.

According to published reports, states that any underage girl who is married will be considered of full age.

A writer for Blackbluedog blog advocates marriage for every Nigerian girl. He writes: “Affluent parents who know where the next meal is coming from … don’t give their babies out in marriage.”

The write states 6,888,570 Nigerian girls below the age of 18 are being married off every year.

Critics of the controversial amendment point out the hypocrisy that married underage girls are not of legal age to participate in elections.

From BlackBlueDog blog via Tattletailzz:

Section 29 (1) of the 1999 Constitution states: “Any citizen of Nigeria of full age who wishes to renounce his Nigerian citizenship shall make a declaration in the prescribed manner for the renunciation.”

Sub-section (4a) states: “Full age means the age of 18 years and above”, while (4b) says: “Any woman who is married shall be deemed to be of full age.”

The new amendment says that a married underage girl is now deemed to be a full adult in the country. This has led to widespread protest world-wide from those who are concerned about the way the law promotes child abuse. Petitions are circulating and even those who’ve moved away from Nigeria are using social media as a way to express their outrage.

Please visit this website and sign WE CANNOT ACCEPT THIS, WE HAVE TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN:

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/house-of-representatives-national-assembly-nigeria-stop-underage-marriage-bill

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Are you going to change your facebook avatar as well?

A petition isn't going to do anything.

lancet98
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

What good is a petition going to do?

lga1965
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Did anyone think about checking Snopes ?
Or,if it's true just realize there is not much we can do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NJoy_danielle
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Petitions can help bring awareness or notice to an issue by signing and sharing. Hopefully enough so that it can reach someone who is in a position who can help. And even still...what harm can it do? It can either do nothing or something...but why choose to do absolutely nothing? It only takes a moment.

NJoy_danielle
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:45 AM

in response to the facebook avatar....thats real big of you. very nice

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:47 AM
3 moms liked this

It is the truth.   Petitions and facebook changes will not do a damn thing other than give some people a smug sense of self worth as they pretend to do something.

You want to make a difference?   Get your ass over there and start doing things to change it.

Quoting NJoy_danielle:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

NJoy_danielle
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:59 AM
4 moms liked this

Im actually not a smug person at all. Didnt mention facebook at all...im sure theres a reason why you did...but God knows I dont want to get into that with you or anyone for that matter. I also, didnt pretend to do anything. I made a post...I wanted to share something that is happening right now. Its just one of the many horrible things that are going on in this world. I cant fix it all. If you dont want to sign the petition...thats your right. I chose to do so...that was my right. You also have a right to your opinion...but to be hateful isnt nessacary. I cant get on a plane to Nigeria, stand there and make it happen. Thats not realistic in my life..but what I can do is spread the word and pray. I see now that spreading the word may not be accepted by some people...and that sad...to me. But I do know that prayer changes things.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

It is the truth.   Petitions and facebook changes will not do a damn thing other than give some people a smug sense of self worth as they pretend to do something.

You want to make a difference?   Get your ass over there and start doing things to change it.

Quoting NJoy_danielle:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

ReadWriteLuv
by Khaleesi on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:04 PM
I think that in parts of Africa this is normal.

I worked with a man from Kenya here on a temporary work Visa a few years ago that wanted to buy my daughter to be one of his wives when she was 5, because he thought she was beautiful and ideal.
NJoy_danielle
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:15 PM

thats just horrible...i couldnt imagine living my life like that. I thank God for where I am...but I feel so bad for them. for that to be their "normal" is just heart breaking.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

I think that in parts of Africa this is normal.

I worked with a man from Kenya here on a temporary work Visa a few years ago that wanted to buy my daughter to be one of his wives when she was 5, because he thought she was beautiful and ideal.

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:20 PM
4 moms liked this

Raising awareness to the huge human rights violations committed against women in Nigeria and several other African nations is important. Keep spreading the word.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)