Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Federal Judge Orders NC County Commissioners to End Christian Prayers at Meeting Openings

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 11 Replies

Federal Judge Orders NC County Commissioners to End Christian Prayers at Meeting Openings

article image

A federal court judge issued a preliminary injunction Wednesday ordering the Rowan County commissioners to cease opening government meetings with a prayer.

"Opening government meetings with prayers that are specific to only one religion not only alienates people of different beliefs,” legal director of ACLU of North Carolina Chris Brook said, “but also clearly violates the Constitution's protection of religious liberty."

The ruling was issued in U.S. Middle District Court in Greensboro by Judge James Beaty, who denied a request to delay hearing the case while similar cases were held in higher courts.

The American Civil Liberties Union and ACLU of North Carolina Legal Foundation filed a lawsuit on behalf of three Rowan County residents (Nancy Lund, Liesa Montag-Siegel and Robert Voelker) who complained that the board recognized only one religion. The lawsuit stated that the board violated the First Amendment by routinely praying to God.

"We are very pleased that the court reaffirmed one of the most basic principles of religious liberty,” Brook said. “That all members of the community should be treated and welcomed equally by their government, regardless of their personal religious beliefs.”

Rowan Commission Chairman Jim Sides made no comment, and added that other commissioners were waiting to discuss the matter with their attorneys.

Sources: News 13, Fox News

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Surprising to hear that coming from the bible belt but I agree that they shouldn't exclude other religions.
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Good.
SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I am not surprised.. NC is slowly coming outta the dark ages

stringtheory
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Why do any type of religious routine? There is no way to be all-inclusive with one, so why not just do business. Heck, open with a joke or two if its that hard to just get down to business. Say your prayers before the public is there.
romalove
by Roma on Jul. 24, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Good.

caito
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Hell fucking yes

I used to live in Rowan County! It's chock full of super duper religious people. I never felt comfortable there.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:28 PM

That is fantastic news - oh boy I can't wait for all of the ignorant facebook memes claiming our world sucks because christians can't pray at public meetings.

denise3680
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Yeah starting to see the light at the end of tunnel here in nc;)
SpiritFortress
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Good. This is positive forward motion. 

DusterMommy
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:05 PM
Yay. This desperately needs to happen in the county I live in now.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)