Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

All he did was follow her and talk to her and now he's dead and not only is she not arrested but Quanell the 10th is representing her?

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 34 Replies

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Woman-accused-of-fatally-shooting-man-at-gas-station-I-was-just-protecting-myself--216676811.html

Woman accused of fatally shooting man at gas station: ‘I was just protecting myself’

Woman accused of fatally shooting man at gas station: ‘I was just protecting myself’

HOUSTON—The woman who police said fatally shot a man at a southeast Houston gas station Sunday says she never intended to hurt anyone.

The confrontation occurred Sunday evening at the Gulf station located on Cullen Boulevard near Yellowstone in southeast Houston.

Surveillance video shows a woman retrieving a rifle from the trunk of her car and pointing it toward the ground near a man armed with an umbrella and a pocket knife. Then it shows the man swinging at the woman as she steps back and fires the weapon.

58-year-old Louis Daniel was pronounced dead at the scene.

“I’m very hurt and I never meant for anything like this to go on,” said Shanequia McDonald.  “I just went to the gas station to get gas.  I didn’t go to hurt or harm anyone and I was just protecting myself.”

McDonald said Daniel was making sexual advances toward her and cursing her out.

But what happened after the shooting captured on video caused some witnesses to ask questions.

McDonald can be seen grabbing her cell phone and taking a picture of Daniel.

Activist Quanell X said McDonald was gathering evidence.

“She took out her phone to take a picture of the knife he had in his hand so no one would say he didn’t attempt to harm her, stab her, cut her and that she did not do this in self defense.”

He also claimed the reason she left the station before police could arrive was because she felt threatened by the other men who had been sitting with Daniel when the confrontation began.

Authorities have referred the case to a grand jury.

McDonald is expected to testify.

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
december911
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:09 PM
3 moms liked this

She sounds smart. Seriously. To think to take pics of the crime scene shows that she knows how screwed up the system is and was protecting herself further.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:17 PM
If the facts match what is presented here and if she goes to jail; then there is no justice in this case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:20 PM
This will be an interesting case to follow.
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:25 PM
4 moms liked this

I dont think its quite as the title suggests. 

Sounds to me like shes smart for taking the picture of the knife and within her rights to protect herself.  I also like that she says she didnt want to hurt him too. Shows remorse for the loss of life that occured.  That really matters to me.

SuperChicken
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I would think firing a weapon at a gas station would be dangerous, but I might have watched too many movies.

If he swung at her with a knife, as the article states, I don't see where she had a choice.   Poor woman :(  

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:36 PM

A knife is every bit as dangerous as a gun and is deemed lethal force if the person is close enough to you to inflict a deadly blow, which he was. Her fleeing was not a smart move but she was within her rights to defend herself. The video leaves me with mixed feelings though, she seems kinda calm. I'm inclined to beleive her side but more evidence will be uncovered I'm sure and time will tell if my opinion is correct or not.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I would like to see the video, but if all is as stated, she did nothing wrong...

As a woman, if I were feeling threatened I would also leave although probably just to some where safe to call 911

Did she call 911?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:44 PM

I can't see the video, did she have the oppurtunity to get in her car and leave? or was he too close?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

A knife is every bit as dangerous as a gun and is deemed lethal force if the person is close enough to you to inflict a deadly blow, which he was. Her fleeing was not a smart move but she was within her rights to defend herself. The video leaves me with mixed feelings though, she seems kinda calm. I'm inclined to beleive her side but more evidence will be uncovered I'm sure and time will tell if my opinion is correct or not.

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:47 PM

From what I can tell her car was connected to the pump still. She couldn't get around him to unhook it and drive away. Seems legit but there are always factors we can't see in the video I guess.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I can't see the video, did she have the oppurtunity to get in her car and leave? or was he too close?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:50 PM
1 mom liked this

There is more to this story...I am not sure she is being truthful

It LOOKS like from the video she had the chance to LEAVE and chose not too...she got close to him also....why? Yes he hit her too....

Not sure about this one.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Women-tell-conflicting-stories-about-deadly-shooting-in-SE-Houston-216697941.html

HOUSTON -- The woman who was caught on camera fatally shooting a man at a southeast Houston gas station on Sunday, spoke publically for the first time on Tuesday afternoon.

Shanequia McDonald, 23, maintains she was forced to open fire on 58-year-old Lewis Daniels after he threatened her. However, Daniels’ family said the argument began over money and that they had argued before.

“He was a smoker,” said Nicole Brown, Daniels’ daughter. “He owed her $30.”

She heard on the streets that “she asked for her money” but he didn’t have it.

“I just went to the gas station to get gas,” McDonald said. “I didn't go to hurt or harm anyone.”

She acknowledged recognizing Daniels by stating “he is from around this area” but she also said she did not personally know him.

McDonald said Daniels made sexual advances, threatening her with an umbrella in one hand, and a pocket knife in the other. The video shows the two arguing. She pulled a rifle from her trunk and he lunged at her before she raised the weapon.

“She shot in the ground and she did not know the bullet ricocheted in the ground and hit him like it did,” said community activist Quanell X, who called the press conference.

He also explained why McDonald took a picture right after the shooting. “She took out a phone to take a picture of the knife he had in his hand so no one would say that the man did not have a knife,” Quanell X said.

McDonald left before police arrived, indicating she was fearful of his friends. She returned home and had her mother call authorities.

They are two women with different sides to the same story, but a strikingly similar pain.

“I'm very hurt and I never meant for anything like this to go on,” McDonald said.

McDonald did not talk to reporters about any of the actual events since she is expected to testify before a grand jury.

Both McDonald, who fired the rifle, and Daniels who was killed, have previous convictions for drugs and assault.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)