Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The family "rescued" by Zimmerman backs out of press conference....hmmmm

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM
  • 88 Replies
2 moms liked this

The family "rescued" by Zimmerman backs out of press conference....hmmmm

The family rescued by George Zimmerman when they were trapped in an overturned SUV canceled a scheduled news conference today and is pleading for privacy.

Zimmerman was one of two men who came to the aid of Dana and Mark Gerstle and their two children, who were trapped inside a blue Ford Explorer SUV that had rolled over after traveling off the highway in Sanford, Fla., about 5:45 p.m. Thursday, the Seminole County Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

The Gerstles were expected to hold a press conference today at the office of Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara, but cancelled a few hours before it was supposed to take place.

"They have expressed to us that they are not comfortable doing media interviews at this time and they continue to ask for privacy," the Seminole City Sheriff's Office said in a statement.

Zimmerman's lawyer, Mark O'Mara, said the family had asked to speak, but then got concerned about the anger surrounding the controversial verdict.

"The family called because they wanted to address the media. I knew that if we did it in an organized way, it would help them get back to a normal life.. But they called today and said they were more worried about blow back from saying anything that would be favorable to George, and decided they did not want to do any media," Zimmerman said.

The family could not be reached for comment.

Zimmerman has been in hiding since he was acquitted of murder in the death of Trayvon Martin and his acquittal prompted a flood of negative reactions and dozens of protests across the country. Zimmerman as well as his parents have received death threats.

The Thursday crash occurred at the intersection of I-4 and route Route 46, police said, less than a mile from where Zimmerman shot Martin.

By the time police arrived, two people - including Zimmerman - had already helped the family get out of the overturned car, the sheriff's office said. No one was reported to be injured.

Zimmerman was not a witness to the crash and left after speaking with the deputy, police said

He rescued them? No one was injured......

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
denise3680
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this
I am happy that family is safe and thankful that someone was there to help them, it just seems ironic that wanna be super cop was there hell maybe he caused it to get kudos for saving them :/ I still think he is a murderer
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't blame them. It was a car accident and the only reason they're in the spotlight is because of the pseudo celeb status of someone who helped them.
SuperChicken
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't blame them.    Why invite death threats on their family too?

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM
5 moms liked this

I would back out too.  Someone helped them exit a vehicle, don't know why there is a press conference or why they'd be dragged into the Zimmerman nonsense.

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Exactly.   If they said something nice about him, so psycho might threaten them and accuse them of it being all made up.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I don't blame them. It was a car accident and the only reason they're in the spotlight is because of the pseudo celeb status of someone who helped them.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM
4 moms liked this

no one was hurt. he helped them out of the car. They agree to a press (at Zimmermans lawyers office no less) conference.....back out....

rescue seems a strong word.....for a car accident with no injuries.....

im23vaughn
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:51 PM
7 moms liked this
I do find it interesting that this car crash was less than a mile from where Zimmermann used to live, no other cars were involved, & etc. my question is how did the accident occur? This just seems too convenient to me. Its like Casey Anthony rescuing someone 4 days after her case. Im also curious why Zimmermann would be in that area. This just doesn't pass the smell test. No one injured though the car flipped...hmmmm
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:59 PM
1 mom liked this

and they planned a press conference at Georgie's lawyers office?

REALLY??

Would love to see the police report

Quoting im23vaughn:

I do find it interesting that this car crash was less than a mile from where Zimmermann used to live, no other cars were involved, & etc. my question is how did the accident occur? This just seems too convenient to me. Its like Casey Anthony rescuing someone 4 days after her case. Im also curious why Zimmermann would be in that area. This just doesn't pass the smell test. No one injured though the car flipped...hmmmm

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:02 PM
The media is using the word rescue because it makes money.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

no one was hurt. he helped them out of the car. They agree to a press (at Zimmermans lawyers office no less) conference.....back out....

rescue seems a strong word.....for a car accident with no injuries.....

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Sanford Police Department Capt. Jim McAuliffe said that Zimmerman was identified by one of the crash victims as the man who pulled him and his family from the Ford Explorer.

"George Zimmerman pulled me out," firefighters were told by the unidentified driver, according to McAuliffe.

But when asked if Zimmerman was being called a hero, sheriff spokeswoman Kim Cannaday had this to say:

"We're not going that far."

Wonder if they are family friends.....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured