• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Public school teachers go ballistic over teacher dress code in West Va., threaten to sue

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
  • 76 Replies

Public school teachers go ballistic over teacher dress code in West Va., threaten to sue

The last time The Daily Caller’s education section checked in on West Virginia, police in Logan County had arrested an eighth-grader over an NRA shirt and the kid was facing a year in jail. (RELATED: Charges dropped against 8th-grader who wore NRA shirt)

Now, teachers a few counties over are pitching a fit because the local board of education voted to prohibit them from wearing blue jeans, faded jeans and shorts to work.

The Lewis County Board of Education’s vote at a Monday board meeting in favor of the ban was unanimous, reports WBOY-TV.

The ban has been a highly rancorous issue in the rural county for some time now.

Board president Paul Derico suggested that residents weren’t happy with the way teachers have been presenting themselves in classrooms.

“We’ve had a lot of comments, or at least I have personally, and that comment is, ‘I’m glad you board members are finally doing something about the way the teachers dress,’” Derico told WBOY.

However, many of the teachers affected are deeply unhappy.

“I’m very disappointed. I think I give 200 percent of myself for this county, and I don’t feel like they have given me any respect back,” teacher Carmen Shafer protested. “They said they’re doing this to protect us from the few people that didn’t follow the dress code. As far as I’m concerned, and from my understanding, blue jeans was never involved in that. So I don’t understand why they are taking away the blue jeans.”

Like many other teachers, Shafer wore a blue t-shirt and jeans to Monday’s board meeting.

An attorney from the American Federation of Teachers, Jeff Blaydes, indicated that the union may sue so that public school teachers will have the right to wear shorts and faded jeans as they teach students.

“We’re disappointed in the actions of the board,” Blaydes told CBS affiliate WDTV. “We don’t believe it’s in the best interest of the teachers of Lewis County. We think it’s inconsistent with their statutory and constitutional rights. We’re going to explore all of our legal actions when we get back and take the next steps appropriate.”

According to MetroNews, former West Virginia Education Association President Tom Lange argued that teachers shouldn’t have to make weighty considerations about what’s on their legs each day.

“It’s pretty tough to enforce and just another thing on people’s plates that they’ve got to try to deal with and they’ve got enough stuff to deal with and worry about,” Lange said.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/24/public-school-teachers-go-ballistic-over-teacher-dress-code-in-west-va-threaten-to-sue/#ixzz2a1GQGKnh

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/24/public-school-teachers-go-ballistic-over-teacher-dress-code-in-west-va-threaten-to-sue/#ixzz2a1G9vLpM

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM
What a bunch of whiners.
maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:17 PM

thats what Im sayin'

Quoting AlekD:

What a bunch of whiners.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Over blue jeans? Really?

When I did student teaching I taught at 3 separate schools... Each one required teachers to wear dress slacks & nice shirts. Women could wear skirts or dresses as well...

It's professional.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:22 PM
2 moms liked this

I think there need to be exceptions.  There were weeks on end I needed to wear jeans because of what we were doing in Theatre.

You can't paint, teach how to aim lights, build sets, create backdrops in skirts or slacks.

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Ummm... Sue on what basis? Their "right" to wear jeans? Every work enviroment has a dress code. No jeans and no shorts seems pretty benign.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:27 PM
4 moms liked this
You can do all of that in a pair of black slacks...

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I think there need to be exceptions.  There were weeks on end I needed to wear jeans because of what we were doing in Theatre.

You can't paint, teach how to aim lights, build sets, create backdrops in skirts or slacks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rfurlongg
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM
Makes sense. Their over reaction does seem over the top though. I suspect a principal could give you exceptions.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

They don't hold up the way denim does.  I know from experience.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I never knew teachers to wear jeans...still dont.  I think they need to pull their heads in.

As for Art teachers....they always wore an apron or they had overalls in the classroom....some teachers just cant seem to teach without being able to wear jeans * insert major eye roll* ...they are called USELESS :-)

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Yup. I have done most of those things in skirts.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)