Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What do you think of this idea to curb panhandling

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM
  • 42 Replies

A total of 12 "giving meters" are suggested as a pilot program, to be installed in Downtown Yakima. The goal is to curb panhandling. People can put money into these meters, and it will go directly toward organizations that provide services to the homeless population. The proposal goes through the Public Safety Committee tomorrow.

----

This is a program being put in place in an Eastern Washington town.  Do you think this type of program would help cut down on panhandling?  Would it depend on the size of the city?  

Would you consider putting money in the meter?  If you said "yes", do you tend to give to panhandlers or avoid it due to the unknown factor of where it will be spent/used?  

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhaveHisjoy
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think it will help at all. There is already "help" available. All the panhandlers I've encountered (talked to) would rather beg..they make more money, can buy whatever they want, etc...panhandling.

No i wouldn't put money in. I give where I believe the money will actually go to help..Government takes more than they give..I also wouldn't want what I give to go to an organization I have no faith in...

4music
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM
I fo not believe that it will make a noticable inpact. There are already organizations that assist homeless and destitute but that doesnt stop panhandling. Heck, i've witnessed it half a block from a "soup kitchen."
No, i would not use yhe meters, i give my $/supplies/services directly to the organizations i choose, not some random donation that im not sure where its truly going to.
I do give to panhandlers directly on occasion, but not cash.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM

No.

People want the money for whatever it is they think they need.   They can get help and sometimes just prefer to panhandle and be on the street.

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Won't help or stop panhandling. They make more money tax free panhandling.
LetoLiebe
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:12 PM

It won't help. 

vbway
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I don't think it would. My drive home is littered with panhandlers now. It has gotten ridiculous over the past two years. All four sides of the street, 10 blocks in a row!  The same people day in and day out, they actually have paths worn into the medians. They always have backpacks full of snacks and are always smoking. Obviously panhandling is a money maker. 

jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I don't think it'll do a damn thing.

There's a guy in my city who panhandles 2 blocks from a shelter. He will even walk into the middle of the street so cars will stop. He acts like a total ass if you don't give him anything or roll up your windows or lock your doors upon approaching him. Frankly I'm surprised he hasn't been hit by a car or been assaulted severely yet.
jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM
Oh and a few years ago, a local news channel did a segment on the city's homeless, and one guy, when asked if he ever thought about using the shelter services to help him get a job and get off the streets, he said "fuck that shit". It was bleeped out of course, but the station was more careful about who they interviewed live after that.
muslimah
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM

Growing up in Detroit Michigan I can't even put a number on the panhandlers I have seen through out the years. they stand on every major corner intersection with "hungry and homeless" signs They don't give a flying a fuck that they are homeless or hungry. They only care about the next hit. If they can scramble up 10 bucks they can get a hit and then they wont be hungry any more and just for buying the hit they can usually cop a squat in the dope house so they are not on the street homeless.

Elyssa414
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:14 AM
I don't think it will discourage panhandlers, but I think the idea is to encourage people to stop giving to the panhandlers, and instead give to these meters... And if less people are giving to panhandlers, maybe less of them will choose that as their career path? I doubt it will have an impact, but I like the idea in theory.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)