Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Another win for Monsanto: US raises allowable levels of company’s pesticide in crops

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM
  • 22 Replies

Biotech giant Monsanto has been awarded yet another victory by the federal government thanks to a recent Environmental Protection Agency decision to allow larger traces of the herbicide glyphosate in farm-grown foods.

Despite a number of studies linking exposure to the chemical with diseases including types of cancer, the EPA is increasing the amount of glyphosate allowed in oilseed and food crops.

The EPA announced their plans on May 1 and allowed critics two months to weigh in and object to the ruling. Following little opposition, though, the EPA is on path to soon approve of levels of glyphosate being found in crops several times over the current concentration.

Glyphosate, a weed-killing chemical developed by Monsanto in 1970, is the key ingredient in the company’s “Roundup” label of herbicides. In the decades since, Monsanto has created and patented a number of genetically-modified organisms and genetically-engineered crops resisted to glyphosate that are sold worldwide under the company’s “Roundup Ready” brand. Those GMO products are then planted in fields where glyphosate, namely Roundup, is used en masse to eliminate weeds from taking over harvest. With scientists linking that chemical to cancerous diseases, though, critics decry the EPA decision and caution it could do more harm than good.

Through the EPA’s new standards, the amount of allowable glyphosate in oilseed crops such as flax, soybeans and canola will be increased from 20 parts per million (ppm) to 40 ppm, which GM Watch acknowledged is  over 100,000 times the amount needed to induce breast cancer cells. Additionally, the EPA is increasing limits on allowable glyphosate in food crops from 200 ppm to 6,000 ppm.

Just last month, The Cornucopia Institute concluded a study by finding glyphosate “exerted proliferative effects in human hormone-dependent breast cancer.” A similar study released in April concluded that “glyphosate enhances the damaging effects of other food borne chemical residues and environmental toxins.”

Negative impact on the body is insidious and manifests slowly over time as inflammation damages cellular systems throughout the body,” independent scientist Anthony Samsel and MIT’s Stephanie Seneff concluded in the April study. “Consequences are most of the diseases and conditions associated with a Western diet, which include gastrointestinal disorders, obesity, diabetes, heart disease, depression, autism, infertility, cancer and Alzheimer’s disease.”

Dr. Don M. Huber, emeritus professor of plant pathology at Purdue University, found in yet another examination that “Glyphosate draws out the vital nutrients of living things,” in turn removing most nutritional value from GMO foods.

A press release issued by the group Beyond Pesticides criticized the decision as well. “Given that alternative methods of growing food and managing weeds are available, like those that exist in organic agriculture, it is unreasonable for EPA to increase human exposures to Roundup,” they wrote.

In the past, Monsanto has long-defended their use of the chemical. “We are very confident in the long track record that glyphosate has,” Jerry Stainer, Monsanto’s executive vice president of sustainability, stated previously. “It has been very, very extensively studied.”

LINK

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:42 PM
3 moms liked this
Damn it! Of course Monsanto is focusing all their attention on the US now that so many other countries are telling them to get lost!
What is wrong here? I think it's time to pick up the motto "we the people" and not we the liberals vs we the conservatives and demand to be able to buy food that isn't poisonous!
At least get that crap labeled so we can make choices for ourselves.
survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I really have to stop eating fried food.

This really sucks.  Why cant the chemical companies stay out of the food business.  :(

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:05 AM
1 mom liked this

And all the division just gives them cover.

Quoting Healthystart30:

Damn it! Of course Monsanto is focusing all their attention on the US now that so many other countries are telling them to get lost!
What is wrong here? I think it's time to pick up the motto "we the people" and not we the liberals vs we the conservatives and demand to be able to buy food that isn't poisonous!

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

famiglia_bella
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:37 AM
2 moms liked this

How much do we hate insects??  I mean seriously, this "war on bugs" is compromising the safety of our food!  Ridiculous!

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Healthystart30:

I am in Cali and was so ticked that voter here fell for the lies(again just like prop 8) and voted against labeling.

I have a family history of cancer and this crap scares me.

Best government money can buy.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:52 PM

Quoting survivorinohio:

This really sucks.  Why cant the chemical companies stay out of the food business.  :(

Too much profit and we the people are infighting over abortion and race so have no clue, for the most part.

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Isn't there a study that their insecticide is one of the main reason that our honey bee's have been in such a HUGE decline? Like people are losing millions and MILLIONS in their colonies and I believe last I heard we only have about 3 or 4 million left between all the colonies in NA. That's down from like over 10 like what two years ago? I'll have to search the exact numbers up but believe me it's BAD! 

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM
Quoting Friday:

Quoting survivorinohio:

Too much profit and we the people are infighting over abortion and race so have no clue, for the most part.

I live near an epa supersite where there is a lot of contamination from munitions, leaky barrels and pcbs from transformers. I never knew until yesterday that next door to the offending salvage yard is a monsanto plant. An entire neighborhood, on of the nicer neighborhoods in the city ironocally is poison:( Here is a page discussing it and there are maps that indicate monsantos presence. https://www.facebook.com/pages/Poison-in-the-Grapes/383544821735462?hc_location=stream

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

LuvmyAiden
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:08 PM

The fact that this keeps happening is sick. There are contries who will not even import food from countries that use Monsanto GMOs and yet we keep allowing more damage to our food and our people. We need to wake up!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)