Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

US Muslims call for boycott of government-sponsored Ramadan celebration.

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM
  • 6 Replies

Obama speaks at an Iftar dinner in Washington DC on 10 August 20120 (EPA/Olivier Douliery/Pool).

On the eve of the US State Department's annual iftar dinner, some Muslim activists are calling on guests to boycott the ceremony.

The US government has hosted the iftar, a daily breaking of the Ramadan fast, since 2001. The State Department describes the tradition as a way to highlight its efforts to "engage with Muslim communities around the world". But some are pushing back, saying that US policies like drone attacks and force-feeding of Guantanamo inmates violate the human rights of Muslims around the world.

University professor Omid Safi, who declined an invite in 2003, wrote a blog post calling for others toboycott unless the following conditions are met:

"True joy does not come from owning something, it comes from the encounter in relations with others, in feeling loved and understood. Because joy comes from the gratefulness of an encounter. The joy of "the encounter with Jesus" and in "feeling loved by God. " Pope Francis                                                    My Blog

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
muslimah
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:26 PM
2 moms liked this

Well this is new news to me and I live in the Muslim capital of North America... Dearborn Michigan. Anything that goes on in the Muslim communities we are the first to know about it being that we hold the largest Muslim population on the continent. Either this just went over my head or someone is full of shit.

Most don't understand that the majority of Muslims (except myself) are just quiet peaceful people centered around their families living their own life. Muslims don't like to show off or bring attention to their selves especially in the U.S.A. Most Muslims just mind their own business and want to be left alone.

jllcali
by Jane on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:45 PM
Is this the first time there's been an attempt to boycott this dinner by muslims?
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:48 AM
I read bunch of the comments and people are saying that the dinner shouldn't be boycotted. Who is calling for the boycott? Why not go and open up lines of communication?
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 12:54 AM

I think this is probably a form of activism or protest.  It doesn't seem odd to me that people would use this as a way to speak out.  However I would bet that most Muslims don't have any problem with it, Muslims are as diverse a group as any other.

muslimah
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:22 AM

Quoting Healthystart30:

I read bunch of the comments and people are saying that the dinner shouldn't be boycotted. Who is calling for the boycott? Why not go and open up lines of communication?

Maybe I am reading it wrong but according to the article it's the article I got the impression that it's the Muslims who are boycotting. That's why I said in my I don't believe it is true.

muslimah
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:26 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting stacymomof2:

I think this is probably a form of activism or protest.  It doesn't seem odd to me that people would use this as a way to speak out.  However I would bet that most Muslims don't have any problem with it, Muslims are as diverse a group as any other.

And with Ramadan Muslims really don't have the time boycotting anything, if I am reading this right. I better go back and read it again,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)