Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Muslim moms........

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM
  • 12 Replies

Reading this article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-23403716 made me think..... 

What would it do to the times of Ramadan, or praying towards Mecca when you're in a space station, or on Mars? 

Random question I know, but it's something that may have to be answered soon, space travel is going to be a lot more common soon. 

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LindaClement
by Linda on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:16 AM

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I've read the answer to this...

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:42 AM
Ohh.... I'm gonna have to go find that.
I'm a druid... So if it were me, I'd just use GMT for the earth based ones... Mars tho, that'd be hard to figure out.

Quoting LindaClement:

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I've read the answer to this...

collectivecow
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 3:05 AM

Very interesting question.

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:10 AM

Quoting collectivecow:

Very interesting question.

I know.... I know how it works on the poles with ramadan and prayer... but in orbit and another planet... 

muslimah
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:43 AM

It's something I never thought about. I have heard they (don't know who they is) are trying to make it so people can go to other planets for recreational reasons. This stuff don't interest me so ireally didy pay that much a attention to it. I don't think that time will come in my lofe  time anyways or either I will be really old by then. I wouldn't want to go.

If there was some kind of natural disaster on earth I don't think it would possible to transport the whole human race to another planet. If and when that happens I will worry about it then. I also literally believe in the Quran and the prophecies of the Prophet Mohammed given to him through God (although I don't live my life I do). The Quran, the hadiths, and the prophecies tell us everything we know about and is very clear on the last days and although the Quran talks abouts about the planets it makes no mention of us ever having to go there due to natural disaster. It tells us what will take place on earth until the very last day.

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:31 AM
Other planets would be a very long time away.... But space stations in orbit, won't be too long away. What time zone would you use... And would it make a difference if the space station moved faster or slower than the earth? I know there has been at least one Muslim astronaut..

Quoting muslimah:

It's something I never thought about. I have heard they (don't know who they is) are trying to make it so people can go to other planets for recreational reasons. This stuff don't interest me so ireally didy pay that much a attention to it. I don't think that time will come in my lofe  time anyways or either I will be really old by then. I wouldn't want to go.

If there was some kind of natural disaster on earth I don't think it would possible to transport the whole human race to another planet. If and when that happens I will worry about it then. I also literally believe in the Quran and the prophecies of the Prophet Mohammed given to him through God (although I don't live my life I do). The Quran, the hadiths, and the prophecies tell us everything we know about and is very clear on the last days and although the Quran talks abouts about the planets it makes no mention of us ever having to go there due to natural disaster. It tells us what will take place on earth until the very last day.

WebCat
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:20 AM

Good question! And they thought of it too. 

Malaysia's space agency, Angkasa, convened a conference of 150 Islamic scientists and scholars in 2006 to address the question, among others, of how to pray towards Mecca in space. A document was produced in early 2007 called A Guideline of Performing Ibadah (worship) at the International Space Station (ISS) and was approved by Malaysia's National Fatwa Council. (widipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_astronauts#Praying_towards_Mecca_in_space

The Guideline can be found herehttp://makkah.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/a_guideline_ibadah_at_iss.pdf

But a quick read shows that the time is kept on a 24 hour cycle based on the time zone where the astronaut was launched. 

The direction to pray is prioritized as follows:

i. The Ka’aba 

ii. The projection of Ka’aba 

iii. The Earth 

iv. Wherever

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 6:39 AM
Oooh, awesome thanks :)

Wonder how that'd work with a different planet with a longer or shorter day.... Hmm..

Quoting WebCat:

Malaysia's space agency, Angkasa, convened a conference of 150 Islamic scientists and scholars in 2006 to address the question, among others, of how to pray towards Mecca in space. A document was produced in early 2007 called A Guideline of Performing Ibadah (worship) at the International Space Station (ISS) and was approved by Malaysia's National Fatwa Council. (widipedia)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Muslim_astronauts#Praying_towards_Mecca_in_space

The Guideline can be found herehttp://makkah.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/a_guideline_ibadah_at_iss.pdf

But a quick read shows that the time is kept on a 24 hour cycle based on the time zone where the astronaut was launched. 

i. The Ka’aba 

iii. The Earth 

iv. Wherever

muslimah
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Quoting Piskie:

Other planets would be a very long time away.... But space stations in orbit, won't be too long away. What time zone would you use... And would it make a difference if the space station moved faster or slower than the earth? I know there has been at least one Muslim astronaut..

Quoting muslimah:

I see where you're getting at now. I don't have a good answer for you. I am not at all educated in anything space related.

muslimah
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Quoting WebCat:

i. The Ka’aba 

iii. The Earth 

iv. Wherever

This sounds logical.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured