Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Family rescued by Zimmerman cancels news conference, fears 'blowback'

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:06 AM
  • 74 Replies

A couple George Zimmerman helped rescue after their family after their SUV flipped over on a Florida highway canceled a news conference Wednesday, citing the possibility of 'blowback' against them.

Mark and Dana Gerstle had planned to talk about the assistance they received from Zimmerman, who was recently acquitted of charges in the death of teenager Trayvon Martin.

Zimmerman's attorney Mark O'Mara told CNN's Wolf Blitzer that they changed their minds, deciding they didn't want to be in the spotlight. After discussing the situation with family and friends, O'Mara said they realized that being connected to Zimmerman right now could be toxic.

"They wanted to thank him publicly," O'Mara said. "They thought that they could not, for the possibility of blowback against them."

O'Mara brushed aside suggestions Wednesday that his client's actions in helping save a family from a car wreck were somehow staged, noting that multiple government agencies and witnesses have backed up the family's account.

"The same people who refuse to accept the jury's verdict, just want to be angry, just want to hate George Zimmerman, are still going to," O'Mara said. "Even if we had a videotape of the accident, they would still say it was made up. So you can't really respond to people who just don't want to listen to the truth."

Zimmerman, 29, and another man helped the couple and their two children out of a flipped SUV off the road near Interstate 4 last week. The family wasn't hurt.

"I think what happened with them today was they were very worried, and I think they were advised by family and friends that they really shouldn't get involved with anything to do with George Zimmerman...and that's really sad," O'Mara told reporters, the Orlando Sentinel reported.

"They can't even say that George did something good for them because people out there believe he's so toxic even though he's been acquitted," O'Mara said.

It was the first time Zimmerman was seen publicly since he was acquitted earlier this month of second-degree murder and manslaughter charges in the 2012 slaying of the unarmed 17-year-old. The Florida teenager was shot and killed last year during a confrontation with Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer. The case spawned heated national debates about racial profiling and the so-called Stand Your Ground self-defense laws in Florida and other states.

O'Mara said Zimmerman is still getting threats and is concerned about his safety. When asked if Zimmerman was still carrying a concealed weapon, O'Mara answered, "Yes, he's protecting himself."

The U.S. Department of Justice has taken all the evidence from the trial, including the gun that killed Martin, as part of a civil rights investigation. But even if authorities eventually decide to give the gun back to Zimmerman, O'Mara said it should be destroyed.

"That gun will never be used again by Mr. Zimmerman or anybody else," O'Mara said.

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:06 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SyllabaryBisque
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:10 AM
1 mom liked this

That's unfortunate, but I can't say I blame them at this point. I would have probably cancelled it as well and just sent a "Thank You" card via his attorney, for safety reasons. 

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't blame them either. I agree with them that there would be blowback.
Quoting SyllabaryBisque:

That's unfortunate, but I can't say I blame them at this point. I would have probably cancelled it as well and just sent a "Thank You" card via his attorney, for safety reasons. 

BrookieCookie1
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:20 AM
How odd. His lawyer said the gun should be destroyed, but days after the verdict, on either GMA or the Today show,it was reported that Zimmerman was now legally allowed to retrieve his gun and Zimmerman's brother said he 'saw no reason why (GZ) wouldn't go get it'. Who knows? WhenGZ was first arrested, I felt he was one of those people that had a hero complex. Maybe he is just an ultra good samaritan, but I can't help but wonder if this is attention and trouble seeking behavior. Id like to believe that if it were me, that I would have learned a lesson about playing make believe that I was a hero,but it isn't, so I can't say for certain. Still, I find something about this unsettling.
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I find that the family that wants to thank him is so afraid of blowback  they won't do it rather unsettling.

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

How odd. His lawyer said the gun should be destroyed, but days after the verdict, on either GMA or the Today show,it was reported that Zimmerman was now legally allowed to retrieve his gun and Zimmerman's brother said he 'saw no reason why (GZ) wouldn't go get it'. Who knows? WhenGZ was first arrested, I felt he was one of those people that had a hero complex. Maybe he is just an ultra good samaritan, but I can't help but wonder if this is attention and trouble seeking behavior. Id like to believe that if it were me, that I would have learned a lesson about playing make believe that I was a hero,but it isn't, so I can't say for certain. Still, I find something about this unsettling.

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:45 AM
3 moms liked this
There was no need for a news conference in the first place.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:03 AM
I find the fact that George Zimmermans lawyer arranged a press conference for it in the first place suspect

Someone leaked it to the media...Zimmermans name doesn't appear in the police report...

So why leaked it?

Lol waiting for word of a connection between Judge Zimmerman and this family

Quoting candlegal:

I find that the family that wants to thank him is so afraid of blowback  they won't do it rather unsettling.

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teri4lance
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM
4 moms liked this
Pretty sad that the maniacal TM protesters are so bad that these people are scared to thank someone who saved them because of how they will behave. Way to further your hopes to wipe out discrimination.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM
Just FYI, but the Federal's Justice Dept had placed a hold on the Zimmerman's gun. So GZ doesn't have his gun back at this time.

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:11 AM
2 moms liked this
The protestors did nothing to this family

Zimmerman was trying to use them to make himself look good, they received no threat

Quoting teri4lance:

Pretty sad that the maniacal TM protesters are so bad that these people are scared to thank someone who saved them because of how they will behave. Way to further your hopes to wipe out discrimination.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Don't hold your breath.   

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I find the fact that George Zimmermans lawyer arranged a press conference for it in the first place suspect

Someone leaked it to the media...Zimmermans name doesn't appear in the police report...

So why leaked it?

Lol waiting for word of a connection between Judge Zimmerman and this family

Quoting candlegal:

Quoting BrookieCookie1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)