Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NYC Restaurant Evicts Christian Church

Posted by   + Show Post

A popular New York City barbecue restaurant that came under fire for renting space to a Christian church, has evicted the congregation because of a sermon about same-sex attraction, the pastor told Fox News.

Freddy Wyatt, the pastor of The Gallery Church, said they had been renting space in a restaurant to hold their worship services for several months. That agreement was cancelled after local residents barraged the restaurant with complaints.

“There was backlash from the neighborhood toward the restaurant for hosting a Christian church in their space,” he told Fox News.

Wyatt declined to name the restaurant because they did not “want to throw them under the bus.”gallerychurch

“We want to maintain good relationships with the people in our neighborhood,” he said.

However, Fox News has learned the church had been renting space from Hill Country Barbecue, a popular eatery in Manhattan. Owners of the restaurant did not return calls seeking comment.

Wyatt said the trouble started when they began promoting a sermon series about sexuality.

“This particular sermon series struck a nerve in the neighborhood,” he said. “There was an enormous amount of backlash. We don’t know specifically what that was. The restaurant said if it had only been a couple of phone calls it would have been one thing – but it was more than that.”

As a result, Hill Country Barbecue ended their relationship with the church – giving them just two months to find another place to worship.

The church had been paying the restaurant $25,000 per year to use the space on Sundays before it opened for and had been paying the restaurant’s sound engineer $150.  Pastor Wyatt also said on average about ten people stayed after the service to eat dinner in the barbecue joint.

But it turns out money was not the motivating factor.

“Disassociating from a Christian church was more valuable to them,” Wyatt wrote on the church’s website.

The small congregation, made up of artists and aspiring Broadway actors, was eventually able to find another location to worship – but it costs $15,000 more.

In spite of their eviction, church members are rather upbeat, Pastor Wyatt said.

“When we shared with the church the news, there were a few employees from the restaurant there,” he said. “One approached us and they said they were really struck by our kindness. I think we left with a good taste in their mouths.”

Still, Wyatt said it’s not surprising the message on sexuality caused such an uproar.

“God’s word promises us that fiery trials will come upon us,” he said. “And we shouldn’t be surprised when they do. Jesus said we will be hated, for He was hated.”

And while the subject of sexuality his polarizing, the pastor said he likes to take a page from the writings of noted theologian Francis Schaeffer.

“Francis Shaeffer once said the ultimate apologetic is love,” he said. “We really want to soften people’s hearts and stereotypes with the love of Jesus as we live that out in authentic relationships.”

He said the episode shows that the exclusivity of the Gospel is “incredibly offensive to people and they hate that message.”

“When we are faithful, there are seasons of challenge – there are seasons of persecution that come,” he said. “We’ve got to be willing to show that our allegiance belongs to Christ.”

And for what it’s worth, Pastor Wyatt said he still plans on eating dinner at Hill Country Barbecue.

“We love our neighbors,” he said. “And we love good food.”

source

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 7:59 AM
Replies (11-20):
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:20 AM
2 moms liked this

I like how the church didn't want to give the name of the restaurant but Fox News had no problem blurting it out, lol. 

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Thanks. 

Quoting dommad2:

Tried to quote you but it didn't work. They are 2 separate verses. 1 Peter 4:12 and Matthew 10:22

Quoting jessilin0113:

Well, words have consequences.  

Can somebody point me out to the Bible verse about this part:

Quote:

“God’s word promises us that fiery trials will come upon us,” he said. “And we shouldn’t be surprised when they do. Jesus said we will be hated, for He was hated.”

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:22 AM
11 moms liked this

Hey, when all those restaurants and merchants refuse to serve gay people or refuse to bake cakes at gay weddings, the very same people who are all outraged about this say "well, a business has a right to serve whomever they please".

Same thing applies.

lace-n-heels
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:23 AM

New International Version (©2011)
You will be hated by everyone because of me, but the one who stands firm to the end will be saved

Quoting jessilin0113:

Well, words have consequences.  

Can somebody point me out to the Bible verse about this part:

Quote:

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM

EXACTLY

Quoting GLWerth:

Hey, when all those restaurants and merchants refuse to serve gay people or refuse to bake cakes at gay weddings, the very same people who are all outraged about this say "well, a business has a right to serve whomever they please".

Same thing applies.

"There will be no foolish wand-waving or silly incantations in this class. As such, I don't expect many of you to appreciate the subtle science and exact art that is potion-making. However, for those select few... Who possess, the predisposition... I can teach you how to bewitch the mind and ensnare the senses. I can tell you how to bottle fame, brew glory, and even put a stopper in death." —Professor Snape

lace-n-heels
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Before everyone goes on their little Christian bashing trip, I'm a Christian and I think a business does have a right to serve whoever they please. If he doesn't want to rent to a church, its his profit loss *shrugs* JUST like the church has the right to believe what they feel is right and what their faith believes as long as its not harming anyone. 

lace-n-heels
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

kind of like "You don't agree with my way of life so even though you aren't hurting me I'm going to blow everything out of proportion" 

Quoting slashteddy:

"You're not being tolerant of my intolerance! But that's okay, we still love you."

romalove
by Roma on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Quoting lace-n-heels:

Before everyone goes on their little Christian bashing trip, I'm a Christian and I think a business does have a right to serve whoever they please. If he doesn't want to rent to a church, its his profit loss *shrugs* JUST like the church has the right to believe what they feel is right and what their faith believes as long as its not harming anyone. 

Welcome to the forum  :-)

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:29 AM
This story isn't about persecuting Christians as much as the op will claim it is (before she starts a rant that it's all Obama's fault). The story is about business. I find it amusing how they throw in '$25,000 a year' like that is supposed to be an exorbitant amount in Manhattan.
lace-n-heels
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM
3 moms liked this

thanks glad to be here. :)

Quoting romalove:

Quoting lace-n-heels:

Welcome to the forum  :-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN