Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

America's "Embarrassing Past" and some facts that are intentionally omitted from school books. Did you know?

The first record of slaves in North America were of white slaves. Of the 102 passengers on The Mayflower, 12 were white slaves. That's right, before the European Slave Trade from Africa to America. In the early 1600's, white Europeans were captured and shipped over as slaves. This included enemies of the crown, criminals, orphans. In fact, “Street Urchins” or the street kids of London were rounded up and shipped to the colonies as slaves. The people of London were warned to beware of “Kid Nabbing”. This is the history of where the term “Kidnap” comes from.

Let's not forget that blacks were selling each other into slavery LONG before the European slave trade began (i.e. white people) AND they are still enslaving each other TODAY in Africa. Sex Slaves, Blood Diamonds, etc...

Records of early African (black) slavery in Africa and in Islamic states dates back as early as 47 BC.

The first owner of black slaves in the US was a black man, Anthony Johnson. He is responsible for introducing the white man to black slave ownership and was the person who brought the case to the courts to make it legal to “Own” black slaves indefinitely.

The majority of black slaves in the US were owned by other black families. Large numbers of free Blacks owned black slaves in numbers disproportionate to their representation in society.  According to the federal census of 1830, free blacks owned more than 10,000 slaves in Louisiana, Maryland, South Carolina, and Virginia.  The majority of black slave-owners lived in Louisiana and planted sugar cane.

By 1830 there were 3,775 black families living in the South who owned black slaves. By 1860 there were about 3,000 slaves owned by black households in the city of New Orleans alone.

The Largest population of slaves when slavery was abolished in the US was owned by a Black Slave Owner and slave breeder, William Ellison

Today, less than 2% of blacks in the US are descendants of black US slaves. It is more likely that a black person in the US is here because their family/ancestors came here to escape oppression by other blacks.

Edit: Adding some reference material...

Here are three great books I have read on the subject. You can preview a lot of information at these links and follow the "Look Inside" link.

http://www.amazon.com/White-Slavery-Colonial-America-Documented/dp/144213397X/ref=pd_sxp_f_i

http://www.amazon.com/White-Cargo-Forgotten-History-Britains/dp/0814742963/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

http://www.amazon.com/They-Were-White-Slaves-Enslavement/dp/0929903056/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

This site has some good info backed with cited reference material.

http://slaverebellion.org/

And again, I included names and dates for personal research.

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Replies (181-189):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY!

On July 26, 1948 - President Harry S. Truman signed executive orders prohibiting discrimination in the U.S. armed forces and federal employment.

TAG and SHARE to remember this day in history! >>>http://on.thegrio.com/15NKKHT
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY!

On July 26, 1948 - President Harry S. Truman signed executive orders prohibiting discrimination in the U.S. armed forces and federal employment.

remember this day in history! >>>http://on.thegrio.com/15NKKHT
ExecutiveChick
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Oh, you poor thing. Even when you seem to try and be relevant, you just can't pull it off, but thank you for at least trying to play :)

Here is what a real conversation looks like. Just to help you out a little bit. 

Begin real Conversation--------

by ExecutiveChick
 Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

:) Thank you, again I feel as though this post and all the nastiness was well worth it to have had a few genuine conversations with open minded women who are willing to talk about difficult topics (which is what I thought many more of us were here for).

I am one of those stats/links/data people as an Engineer by trade, I tend to be way more logic/fact/numbers driven than emotional/feelings so I tend to over research things when I am drawn into a topic, but it takes all types of personalities to create a community.

Thank you!

bow down

Quoting LNLMommy:

You know to be honest..I never really thought about how the topic of slavery would sound among other racial groups. I think sometimes we get that tunnel vision and can't see beyond our own front gate that we negate the experiences of everyone else. I'm not the type of person to go posting stats or different links because no matter what the stats say-to some degree there will be some bias. I think until everyone (on here and irl) can have an honest, open dialogue about race without trying to "one up" each other, race relations will not improve.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Fair enough, I understand completely and I assure you, the "slavery topic" goes deeper for may white people as well. Not because of racial (note racial, not racist) issues, or the Civil War, but because it is part of our history as well. A history that can be either as slave owner or as slaves and this is a history that is not limited to only one race or group of people in this country.

This is my point, and thank you for being open enough to accept that and have a real conversation. We as a group here need to all be more open to real discussion and to learn the truth no matter where it leads us.

Quoting LNLMommy:

There is a lot of American History that has been left out of History books..and to be honest-we will never really know all of what went on. I just felt like bringing this up is a way to shut black people up from talking about slavery which in many race conversations, the slavery topic goes a lot deeper than just what is on the surface and a lot of engagement goes beyond blaming white people.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I agree with most of what you have said here and this is why I have maintained a level and mostly unemotional tone on this thread while providing information and sources that I am familiar with and have reference material to support the claims.

I'm not expecting anyone to view "all" slavery as anything other than abhorrent, but... there are other aspects to this history that I was not aware of and many here were/are not aware of.

Quoting LNLMommy:

I honestly think in this era where anyone can write a book, I just don't trust facts. Now I 'm not denying the black people didn't own slaves or didn't sell others into slavery. That is true but I don't think it makes me look at slavery any different. Anyone who engaged in chattel slavery are digusting in my eyes-no matter the race

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

??? I posted links the 3 books on Amazon and one link to a site that provides reference material for it's data.

Of the 3 books, one is a Thesis, one is a history textbook and one is a history textbook submission. All with reference material.

Quoting LNLMommy:

Sorry but the links you posted are not scholarly articles or books but rather opinion pieces..don't wanna feel guilty about slavery..don't...but don't go trying to prove a point by posting BS

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY!
TAG and SHARE to remember this day in history! >>>http://on.thegrio.com/15NKKHT
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY!

remember this day in history! >>>http://on.thegrio.com/15NKKHT

MaryChloe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Wow . Some people are so racist and disgusting they try to spin facts or lies into their own twisted logic about the realities of racism.   All to help justify their hate.

Don't get me wrong, I've chastised blacks for being racist to whites and towards blacks etc.  it's wrong ttoo it if it was the posters goal to post 'supposed black owned slaves'. BS to justify the omitting of Americas white history of racism, well then they need to seek therapy. I wouldn't be surprised if the poster would support the confederate flag being waved in the hood proudly.

There seems to be a last push of backwards ignorant Americans trying to dumb down America. They are the baby boomers a dying generation scared of change. choosing cognitive dissidence.  instead of protesting against the 1% and Koch brother and Fox News idiot logic

Its easier to join the hate rhetoric with its misinformation and disinformation to distract them from reality and embracing progressive change.

This ignorant generation is dying out. When they do fade away, We will finally embrace a better world to learn from our racist pass instead of attempting to omit it from history books.  Lets also blame Trayvon for being a black victim .... Yeah' that's why he was shot down by Zimmerman! Not because of white racism but because his greatest ancestors were probably owned by blacks!  It's karma right?  what more bullshit racists pull out of their ass before taking personal responsibility.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I didn't post that. 

I've read many books by Thomas Jefferson, writings of George Washington, Ben Franklin, George Mason, John Adams and his son, all those guys. I've read their own words. I've read the transcripts from when they were locked in that room in Virginia in the middle of the summer hammering out the constitution. They, the majority, were arguing for keeping slavery because they benefited from it financially. They decided they would stop importing slaves in 1809 as a compromise. 

I've read extensively on this subject. Books published before the revisionist people got their hands on them and distorted what really happened. They wanted slavery because they were greedy white land owning men descended from British and French aristocracy. 

One reason of many the colonies started to import slaves from Africa because trading ties to England were being broken and they were no longer shipping indentured servants to the colonies so these rich assholes decided to get cheap labor from somewhere else. Can't get the white peasants? Well, no problem, let's get them from somewhere else. They couldn't enslave the Native Americans because they tended to escape or die of some disease. 

Not much has changed. The rich are still doing that. Oy. (seeking out cheap labor, not enslaving people, though you could look at it that way)

Quoting Carpy:
You really should study it more. And please don't use Michael Moore cartoons as a source.
Quoting mehamil1:

Going by their own words, what they actually wrote, that's not the case. The more liberal ones argued against it but 80% of those assholes were either slave owners or financially benefitted from the trade itself. They fought to keep it in because economically it was to their advantage. That is in their own words. 

And as I said before, the colonial days vs. when this was actually the United states, I don't think those are two separate time frames. More like roll over minutes. They kept it because it was to their economic benefit and they didn't see them as fully human anyway. 

Quoting Carpy:
You forget we were not the United States we were under the kings rule, so as our own country it was not that long. The founders, themselves wrestled with it. It something our country inherited from Europe.
Quoting mehamil1:

The slavery that existed in Afirica was more like indentured servatude. Something practiced for thousands of years in Europe. 

America took a long ass time to end slavery. It was also the only country that fought a war over it. Most of Europe had it outlawed by the time we were slaughtering each other over it. That's some serious revisionist nonsense right there. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline

Quoting kailu1835:
Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I'm sorry kailu but this just kind of reads to me like.... blinders.

Yes some slave owners tried to care for and protect their slaves, even free them and care for them after, especially the house slaves they'd come to know and love.

But this wasn't the experience for the vast majority of slaves. Which is why I said "some."

We can't whitewash this.  These people were bought and sold on an auction block as things, separated from family, and forced to work in horrible conditions and often tortured or killed.  Long after emancipation they were still treated as less than. It is not whitewashing to state that we were not responsible for the entire slave trade, when around 2% of all slaves were ever bought or sold in this country, or that we ended slavery in record time over any other country that had slavery, or that the slave trade is alive and well right there in Africa, where it all started in the first place.

That is the truth.  Please don't try to portray it as anything other than what it was.  That's honestly a little scary to me, that you would post such a thing. 

Quoting kailu1835:
I've seen many people speak as though they do believe all of those things, and no, slaves weren't treated worse than slaves anywhere else, and yes, some people did like their slaves and treated them as servants, not slaves, and many happily freed their slaves. Sorry if you can't handle the truth
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:27 PM

You're racist. I get it. No need to be a condecending dick about it. 

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Oh, you poor thing. Even when you seem to try and be relevant, you just can't pull it off, but thank you for at least trying to play :)

Here is what a real conversation looks like. Just to help you out a little bit. 

Begin real Conversation--------

by ExecutiveChick
 Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:31 PM

:) Thank you, again I feel as though this post and all the nastiness was well worth it to have had a few genuine conversations with open minded women who are willing to talk about difficult topics (which is what I thought many more of us were here for).

I am one of those stats/links/data people as an Engineer by trade, I tend to be way more logic/fact/numbers driven than emotional/feelings so I tend to over research things when I am drawn into a topic, but it takes all types of personalities to create a community.

Thank you!

Quoting LNLMommy:

You know to be honest..I never really thought about how the topic of slavery would sound among other racial groups. I think sometimes we get that tunnel vision and can't see beyond our own front gate that we negate the experiences of everyone else. I'm not the type of person to go posting stats or different links because no matter what the stats say-to some degree there will be some bias. I think until everyone (on here and irl) can have an honest, open dialogue about race without trying to "one up" each other, race relations will not improve.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Fair enough, I understand completely and I assure you, the "slavery topic" goes deeper for may white people as well. Not because of racial (note racial, not racist) issues, or the Civil War, but because it is part of our history as well. A history that can be either as slave owner or as slaves and this is a history that is not limited to only one race or group of people in this country.

This is my point, and thank you for being open enough to accept that and have a real conversation. We as a group here need to all be more open to real discussion and to learn the truth no matter where it leads us.

Quoting LNLMommy:

There is a lot of American History that has been left out of History books..and to be honest-we will never really know all of what went on. I just felt like bringing this up is a way to shut black people up from talking about slavery which in many race conversations, the slavery topic goes a lot deeper than just what is on the surface and a lot of engagement goes beyond blaming white people.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I agree with most of what you have said here and this is why I have maintained a level and mostly unemotional tone on this thread while providing information and sources that I am familiar with and have reference material to support the claims.

I'm not expecting anyone to view "all" slavery as anything other than abhorrent, but... there are other aspects to this history that I was not aware of and many here were/are not aware of.

Quoting LNLMommy:

I honestly think in this era where anyone can write a book, I just don't trust facts. Now I 'm not denying the black people didn't own slaves or didn't sell others into slavery. That is true but I don't think it makes me look at slavery any different. Anyone who engaged in chattel slavery are digusting in my eyes-no matter the race

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

??? I posted links the 3 books on Amazon and one link to a site that provides reference material for it's data.

Of the 3 books, one is a Thesis, one is a history textbook and one is a history textbook submission. All with reference material.

Quoting LNLMommy:

Sorry but the links you posted are not scholarly articles or books but rather opinion pieces..don't wanna feel guilty about slavery..don't...but don't go trying to prove a point by posting BS

Quoting sweet-a-kins:
ON THIS DAY IN HISTORY!

remember this day in history! >>>http://on.thegrio.com/15NKKH
Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 6:14 PM
No, they were arguing for it because they knew they could not get the Southern States on board to fight the British if they attempted to abolish it. They came up with the 3/5th comprimise to keep the South from having bigger representation in the house of representatives and pushing slavery into new states.

Quoting mehamil1:

I didn't post that. 

I've read many books by Thomas Jefferson, writings of George Washington, Ben Franklin, George Mason, John Adams and his son, all those guys. I've read their own words. I've read the transcripts from when they were locked in that room in Virginia in the middle of the summer hammering out the constitution. They, the majority, were arguing for keeping slavery because they benefited from it financially. They decided they would stop importing slaves in 1809 as a compromise. 

I've read extensively on this subject. Books published before the revisionist people got their hands on them and distorted what really happened. They wanted slavery because they were greedy white land owning men descended from British and French aristocracy. 

One reason of many the colonies started to import slaves from Africa because trading ties to England were being broken and they were no longer shipping indentured servants to the colonies so these rich assholes decided to get cheap labor from somewhere else. Can't get the white peasants? Well, no problem, let's get them from somewhere else. They couldn't enslave the Native Americans because they tended to escape or die of some disease. 

Not much has changed. The rich are still doing that. Oy. (seeking out cheap labor, not enslaving people, though you could look at it that way)

Quoting Carpy:
You really should study it more. And please don't use Michael Moore cartoons as a source.

Quoting mehamil1:

Going by their own words, what they actually wrote, that's not the case. The more liberal ones argued against it but 80% of those assholes were either slave owners or financially benefitted from the trade itself. They fought to keep it in because economically it was to their advantage. That is in their own words. 

And as I said before, the colonial days vs. when this was actually the United states, I don't think those are two separate time frames. More like roll over minutes. They kept it because it was to their economic benefit and they didn't see them as fully human anyway. 

Quoting Carpy:
You forget we were not the United States we were under the kings rule, so as our own country it was not that long. The founders, themselves wrestled with it. It something our country inherited from Europe.

Quoting mehamil1:

The slavery that existed in Afirica was more like indentured servatude. Something practiced for thousands of years in Europe. 

America took a long ass time to end slavery. It was also the only country that fought a war over it. Most of Europe had it outlawed by the time we were slaughtering each other over it. That's some serious revisionist nonsense right there. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abolition_of_slavery_timeline

Quoting kailu1835:
Quoting jaxTheMomm:

I'm sorry kailu but this just kind of reads to me like.... blinders.

Yes some slave owners tried to care for and protect their slaves, even free them and care for them after, especially the house slaves they'd come to know and love.

But this wasn't the experience for the vast majority of slaves. Which is why I said "some."

We can't whitewash this.  These people were bought and sold on an auction block as things, separated from family, and forced to work in horrible conditions and often tortured or killed.  Long after emancipation they were still treated as less than. It is not whitewashing to state that we were not responsible for the entire slave trade, when around 2% of all slaves were ever bought or sold in this country, or that we ended slavery in record time over any other country that had slavery, or that the slave trade is alive and well right there in Africa, where it all started in the first place.

That is the truth.  Please don't try to portray it as anything other than what it was.  That's honestly a little scary to me, that you would post such a thing. 

Quoting kailu1835:
I've seen many people speak as though they do believe all of those things, and no, slaves weren't treated worse than slaves anywhere else, and yes, some people did like their slaves and treated them as servants, not slaves, and many happily freed their slaves. Sorry if you can't handle the truth
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:41 PM

Because it was an extremely profitable business. I think we just agreed here. 

The liberal folks were all for abolishing it. They were in the minority. 80% of those guys benefited from the trade. The majority wanted to keep it not just for the southerners to stay but also because it was so profitable. 

They were who they were. They did what they did. I don't know why revisionist people want to make this seem better than what it was. They were in the business of buying and selling humans. They kept it around as long as possible. A war was fought over it. 

Quoting Carpy:
No, they were arguing for it because they knew they could not get the Southern States on board to fight the British if they attempted to abolish it. They came up with the 3/5th comprimise to keep the South from having bigger representation in the house of representatives and pushing slavery into new states.
Quoting mehamil1:

I didn't post that. 

Quoting Carpy:
Quoting mehamil1:

Quoting Carpy:
Looking4Truth
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Who were you referring to then when you asked "You're new here aren't you?"  You replied to my post so I assumed you were speaking to me.

Quoting Carpy:

I wasn't referring to the op.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Yes and No.  I;ve been getting CM emails for a couple years now, you know, the ones with the news stories.  I didn't learn about "groups" though until some time this year and that's when I started here.  I usually don't even check out group posts until later in the afternoon, but I think I'm in a different time zone then most people here. Anyway, to be honest with you, I'm not familiar with "race baiting."  I've never heard that term before.  I can guess what it means and that's what I've done, but if this is what the OP is doing and I'm not seeing it, then I must not have the right understanding of what it means.

Quoting Carpy:

you're new here, aren't you?

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I don't think she's race baiting at all.  I think she's simply trying to point out that it wasn't just whites who owned slaves....at least that's what I'm getting from her post.

Quoting Carpy:

she thrives on race baiting.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Not even close but nice try. Do some research, read a book or two, use the names and dates I provided. But quit pretending that by presenting FACTS, that makes someone a racist.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

hmm, is this white supremist site your source?

1. www.saveyourheritage.com/white_​slavery.htm   Cached
    Nine-tenths of the White slavery in America was conducted without ... plantations of North America." ... derision were first applied to White slaves), ...

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 6:52 AM

Yes, on that I was refering to you.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Who were you referring to then when you asked "You're new here aren't you?"  You replied to my post so I assumed you were speaking to me.

Quoting Carpy:

I wasn't referring to the op.

Quoting Looking4Truth:

Yes and No.  I;ve been getting CM emails for a couple years now, you know, the ones with the news stories.  I didn't learn about "groups" though until some time this year and that's when I started here.  I usually don't even check out group posts until later in the afternoon, but I think I'm in a different time zone then most people here. Anyway, to be honest with you, I'm not familiar with "race baiting."  I've never heard that term before.  I can guess what it means and that's what I've done, but if this is what the OP is doing and I'm not seeing it, then I must not have the right understanding of what it means.

Quoting Carpy:

you're new here, aren't you?

Quoting Looking4Truth:

I don't think she's race baiting at all.  I think she's simply trying to point out that it wasn't just whites who owned slaves....at least that's what I'm getting from her post.

Quoting Carpy:

she thrives on race baiting.

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

Not even close but nice try. Do some research, read a book or two, use the names and dates I provided. But quit pretending that by presenting FACTS, that makes someone a racist.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

hmm, is this white supremist site your source?

1. www.saveyourheritage.com/white_​slavery.htm   Cached
    Nine-tenths of the White slavery in America was conducted without ... plantations of North America." ... derision were first applied to White slaves), ...

Minnow Slayer

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN