Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kiplinger's 10 great places to live in the US.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

A huge number of college towns make the list, including B/CS, that I left this year.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/cost-of-living/10-great-places-live-2013-124356753.html

Which cities offer the best combination of affordability, good jobs, and quality schools?

Kiplinger’s crunched the numbers and is out with "10 Great Places to Live." “This list is a nice representation of Americana,” says Marc Wojno, Kiplinger’s Senior Associate Editor, “and what’s so interesting about these cities is that they each, in their own unique way, offer opportunities for their residents and visitors alike.”

Topping off the list, #10: Dubuque, Iowa; #9: Anchorage, Alaska; #8 Ithaca, New York; #7 Morgantown, West Virginia; #6: Billings, Montana.

Related Tool: Find The Best City for You

These cities have what Kiplinger’s calls, “EDS and MEDS” -- robust education and healthcare sectors that provide not only solid job growth, but also critical services for aging baby boomers. “You don’t have to travel to cities like Pittsburgh if you live in Morgantown, for example; these cities each have significant facilities and offer quality medical care,” says Wojno. As for the top five...

#5: Columbia, South Carolina

In this "Famously Hot" college and military town, you can cool down in local rivers and lakes. The city is also home to seven major hospitals and offers ample job opportunities in health care and government.

#4: Santa Fe, New Mexico

With an unemployment rate of just 5%, its economy is bolstered by the tourism industry and government jobs, including the Los Alamos National Laboratory. Just 45 minutes away, it’s one of the largest research labs in the nation.

#3: Bryan-College Station, Texas

These twin cities, known as “Aggieland,” are the home of Texas A&M University and the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum. College spirit fuels the region’s economic growth.

#2: Burlington, Vermont

A hub for green technology, its vibrant economy boasts an impressive three and a half percent unemployment rate. As for the scenery? Gorgeous!

And finally...

#1: Little Rock, Arkansas

This city of 200,000 offers sophisticated amenities with a small-town feel. Residents of this state capital can take in a concert by the Arkansas Symphony Orchestra or go boating on the Arkansas River. The Clinton Presidential Library--a big draw for tourists--also attracts world-class lecturers for the locals to enjoy.

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:07 PM

The rest are all pretty ok but Little rock is a nasty place. I would never willingly go back to vacation there, ever.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I've never been to any of these places sadly. I would think Columbia, South Carolina, would get terribly hot and humid. But I bet its beautiful!

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:16 PM

I have been to all but Anchorage.  Columbia is pretty.   So is Burlington.  And you can take a quick drive to visit the Ben and Jerry's plant.

I would not suggest visiting Bryan/College Station during the summer unless you like weather that is 106.

Quoting fireangel5:

I've never been to any of these places sadly. I would think Columbia, South Carolina, would get terribly hot and humid. But I bet its beautiful!

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Haha, I am not a super hot weather kind of girl. I hear Vermont is beautiful!

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

I have been to all but Anchorage.  Columbia is pretty.   So is Burlington.  And you can take a quick drive to visit the Ben and Jerry's plant.

I would not suggest visiting Bryan/College Station during the summer unless you like weather that is 106.

Quoting fireangel5:

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:24 PM

I live 5 minutes from downtown BurLington, Vt...my son is there with his friends right now! 

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting fireangel5:

Haha, I am not a super hot weather kind of girl. I hear Vermont is beautiful!

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting fireangel5:

Vermont is beautiful, I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:27 PM

I've only been in Burlington for the airport. Most of my time in Vermont was spent in Montpelier.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:35 PM

I certainly would not recommend Little Rock to anyone. Fayetteville Arkansas is a MUCH better choice. 

rollin3kidsdeep
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:57 PM
I live in lr. Was shocked by this!
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:01 PM
Lol at Anchorage...a lot of Alaskans end up having to fly to Seattle for major medical issues/procedures so I'm wondering what the criteria for EDS and MEDS actually was...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)