Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Royal Baby Puts Cost Of Giving Birth In U.S. To Shame

Pema_Jampa
Aicha
Yesterday at 7:04 PM
Khaled, Taha, Faudel - Aicha - Live HD

Live Concert - 1,2,3 Soleils - 1998 ***Warning*** The last person who copied/stole this video to his account was reported and YT removed his copy of this video.

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM
  • 37 Replies

Posted:

Royal Baby Puts Cost Of Giving Birth In U.S. To Shame (INFOGRAPHIC)

Most developed countries provide deeply subsidized, flat-fee maternity care to give each newborn the healthiest start possible, but the cost of prenatal care and delivery in the U.S. is the highest in the world — and billed to the patient item by item, leaving some women to choose during labor whether to spend hundreds or thousands of dollars on an epidural.

"British royal born in fanciest ward: $15,000. Average US birth: billed $30,000; paid $18,000. What's wrong here?" Elisabeth Rosenthal of the New York Times tweeted this week.

The historic Lindo Wing of St. Mary's Hospital, where the Duchess of Cambridge delivered her son on Monday, has a birthing pool, satellite TV, Internet access, a catering staff and wine list, and a routine maternity stay costs around $15,000. As Rosenthal pointed out, and reported in a stunning article last month, that money wouldn't go far for an expectant mother in the U.S.

"The average total price charged for pregnancy and newborn care was about $30,000 for a vaginal delivery and $50,000 for a C-section, with commercial insurers paying out an average of $18,329 and $27,866," she wrote, citing a recent Truven Health Analytics report.

Infographic by Jan Diehm for The Huffington Post.

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chris030406
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Damn. I must've had really good insurance when we had ours, because our cost was only $2500. They covered 80%, which would've been around $12,000 for a regular, vaginal delivery. Drug free.
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Wow. I delivered at the best women's hospital within 200 miles of us and my 20%(80% was insurance) was like $3000 and change. I had an epidural and everything. I cannot beleive it is THAT high for some women to have babies in this country.

LoveMyKBabies
by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM

I hate it here sometimes, seriously.

annas_momma
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:03 PM
I believe it. When my friend was pregnant, and didn't have insurance, we called around to the different hospitals in our area and asked what it would cost for a vaginal delivery. Everyone of them quoted us at almost $30,000 dollars, around 26-27,000
Roxygurl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:07 PM
It depends on where you live. Here in Houston when I found out my insurance didnt cover maternity in 2011 I was quoted 30,000 from the hospital and that didnt include the doctors fees or epidural and that was for a vaginal uncomplicated birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
redbutterfly666
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM

well damn we didnt have to pay anything except $5 for an iron prescription when i gave birth

Presley77
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:10 PM
One of my friends delivery was $400,000! She was in hospital for a week and had a csection. Another friends cost a little over $100,000. Mine was about 40,000. And the item by item charge is so right- I currently pay about 10 different bills to pay off my 20%. It's shitty. Why they can't combine I don't know :/
EntrepeneurMom
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:15 PM
I do feel for you guys about healthcare costs. I really do. I blubbed my way through the last 3rd of Sicko, especially when the producers paid for all those inhalers for that lady. I wish there was something I could do my friend in Kansas. She has many health problems, she suffers but because its not life threatening her parents wont shell out for meds. I've looked into sending her them but I'd be breaking the law :/
EntrepeneurMom
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:17 PM
I didn't realise until I joined here how lucky I truly am. Anything is wrong, I can see a doctor and walk out with meds or counselling or therapy or referals for free the same day.
SunshneDaydream
by Silver Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 5:23 PM
Yet another upside to homebirthing. My midwife charged all of $2500 for the entirety of prenatal checkups, the birth, and two post-partum checkups. F* this hospital shit...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)