Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Obama Begs Celebrities To Make Obamacare Seem Like Less Of A Massive Failure

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM
  • 87 Replies
2 moms liked this

“Americans will follow celebrities into the darkest parts of hell, so long as they make them laugh along the way.”

The American obsession with Hollywood is an unbearable sight. Many Americans believe that just because someone is a talented actor, musician, or artist, they must also be expert policy makers. They believe that fame equals political savvy. I’m not sure how this trend got started, but it makes no sense. It’s like saying that because J. K. Rowling is a great writer, she must also be a great plumber. There is absolutely no link between the two, yet celebrity political endorsements carry massive weight.

Unfortunately, 99.9% of the Hollywood community is Liberal, meaning that any time the Democrats need help promoting one of their harebrained schemes, they are just one phone call away from a flood of celebrity endorsements.

Well, it’s that time again. As we approach the beginning of the Obamacare nightmare on October 1st, Obama’s approval is sliding, and his signature legislation is tanking. Call the celebrities!

According to The Hill:

“President Obama met Monday with celebrities who are helping him promote his signature healthcare law ahead of the October 1 launch of state insurance exchanges…The president dropped by a White House meeting with singer Jennifer Hudson and actress Amy Poehler, as well as representatives for Oprah Winfrey, Alicia Keys, and Bon Jovi…The President stopped by the meeting to engage artists who expressed an interest in helping to educate the public about the benefits of the health law…”

1. If a piece of legislation were truly beneficial, it would not require massive celebrity endorsements to help promote it. The very fact that Obama is begging celebrities—as well as the NFL—to help him “educate” Americans about his pet legislation isn’t a good sign.

2. The thought that because Oprah endorses Obamacare, we should all love it too is quite demeaning. Democrats see Americans as slack-jawed rubes, ready to lap up whatever nonsense Hollywood spits at us. Unfortunately, many Americans are eager and willing to eat Hollywood’s vomit.

With the Hollywood community behind him, Obama has an unfortunate advantage in terms of promoting his agenda. I can only hope that Americans have been hit over the head enough times to know that socialized medicine is a bad idea, and that celebrities don’t know any more than we do. They are not policy makers, they are not gods; they are people.

Fool us once, shame on you. Fool us twice, shame on us. Fool us several thousand times…well, we need to get a little smarter.

source

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kidlover2
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 7:52 AM
What is it with all the Onion articles? Are we really that bored?
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM
7 moms liked this

Drink coffee in the morning instead of kool aid and I bet you won't be so bored.

Quoting kidlover2:

SherryBerry106
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:37 AM
6 moms liked this
Such completely unnecessary ignorance.
Quoting kidlover2:

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Well of course, if some celebrity says it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, it MUST be true, while they're sitting in their million dollar mansions watching the news on a movie theater screen and have the best healthcare money can buy.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:28 AM
1 mom liked this
unfortunately some people believe anything and everything a celebrity says

Quoting rotPferd:

Well of course, if some celebrity says it's the greatest thing since sliced bread, it MUST be true, while they're sitting in their million dollar mansions watching the news on a movie theater screen and have the best healthcare money can buy.

Annsf
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:30 AM
This is from a very conservative website. Accept it if you like.
EDIT:

To Original poster: 5 named "celebrities" hardly make all of Hollywood. I am like everyone else; I don't care what Hollywood thinks. I believe all people should know sources, including which posters always post far right material What is it with "Onion"? I hope everyone knows it is satire, always false. What is with the bit with the "Rainbow.". Is that supposed to be a slam on me, referring to the gay movement? I had not even thought of that because CAFEMOM GAVE the rainbow to me years ago before the current symbolism of the rainbow. I now intend to keep it. All I ask is for everyone to consider the source. If they like "very conservative," that is fine with me. It is a free country; I hope that everyone agrees. That is the intelligent thing to do.
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM
lol this coming from someone who has a rainbow for their avatar

Quoting Annsf:

This is from a very conservative website. Accept it if you like.
snookyfritz
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:36 AM
5 moms liked this

Silly article.  To reduce the intellect of liberals down so low as to think that the only reason they support something is because Hollywood is for it...makes conservatives look like fat, stuffed shirt old men with monocles and ill fitting suits. 

Why not discuss Obamacare on it's merits and downfalls?

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:41 AM
2 moms liked this
talk to Obama about how silly it is he's the one going to celebrities for help

Quoting snookyfritz:

Silly article.  To reduce the intellect of liberals down so low as to think that the only reason they support something is because Hollywood is for it...makes conservatives look like fat, stuffed shirt old men with monocles and ill fitting suits. 

prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting snookyfritz:

Maybe because Obama isn't discussing it on it's merits. using Hollywood to push his agenda is pathetic. Why would anyone think that an actor or singer is an expert on anything political?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured