Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Accused Kidnapper Ariel Castro May Get Out of the Death Penalty With One Simple Word

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM
  • 35 Replies
1 mom liked this

Accused Kidnapper Ariel Castro May Get Out of the Death Penalty With One Simple Word

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

Ariel CastroAriel Castro is accused of crimes so heinous, they are hard to even discuss. Ha stands accused of kidnapping three girls -- Amanda Berry, Michelle Knight, and Georgina "Gina" DeJesus -- off the street, keeping them chained in his Cleveland house of horrors for nearly a decade, and beating at least one of them to end pregnancies that developed as a result of his near constant rapes. It is a crime so heinous, it's hard to even fathom.

Now, Castro is mulling over the possibility of a plea deal, which may come as soon as this morning. The likely details would include a lesser sentence (read life in prison as opposed to death), in exchange for his admitted guilt and the end of all the back and forth.

Many times, plea deals are ways that criminals get lesser sentences and many times they feel horrifically unfair. In this case, though, a plea deal could possibly be the best thing for everyone involved.

For the women, it could mean having to spend less time in court, rehashing all the horrible things that happened to them. Though it's not entirely clear how it will all work and whether there truly would be no trial, it could also mean that the insanity and circus that would surround such an event would be dulled.

If he were getting less than life in prison or some kind of reduced sentence, then we might feel differently, but life in prison is, for many inmates, far worse than death. In some sort of poetic justice, he is being sentenced to the kind of life he once forced these women into -- one with small rooms, closed doors, and no chance of freedom and sunlight.

What he is accused of doing is simply beyond anything most of us could even begin to imagine. And what those girls had to endure is despicable. If this gives them some small measure of comfort, then it is a good deal.

I have to imagine that hearing him admit guilt, take responsibility, and be locked away for life, would give these women some closure and would do so much faster than a long, drawn out aggravated murder trial and death penalty trial.

There is no even exchange here and no one really wins. What he is accused of doing to those girls is depraved beyond belief. But this potential plea deal may make their lives a little easier and for that, it seems well worth it.

Do you think this plea deal seems fair?

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GOBryan
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:04 AM
1 mom liked this

That's ok. He'll most likely be raped and abused in prison. 

Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM
It does.... He will never ever be safe in society again, and life imprisonment is what he deserves. .... And it means those poor women won't have to have the stress of court. It seems like the best solution.
SuperChicken
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM
4 moms liked this

I think life in prison sounds like a 5 star vacation next to how those poor women lived.  But I like the idea of them not having to go to court.  They have suffered enough. 

GLWerth
by Gina on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM
2 moms liked this

He should get life in prison without possibility of parole.

I suspect those women would like this to simply be over, not be dragged through a long trial with a defense that would, no doubt, work hard to make it their fault that they were held.

rfurlongg
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM
4 moms liked this

As long as the plea does not include early release, I have no problem with it. 

Lyzmom
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:57 AM
4 moms liked this
The death penalty is too nice for him. He should be locked up for life, no possibility of parole, and NOT separated from general population. Let's see how he feels being beat and raped everyday.
heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:19 PM
I'm a supporter of the death penalty. However, I think death in this case is, dare I say, too harsh of a punishment. I believe the death penalty should be reserved for murderers. What this guy did was evil, but he didn't kill anyone (aside from causing a few miscarriages). Based on what he did, I think life without parole is appropriate.
MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM

I have no problem with him spending the remainder of his life in prison.  The plea deal is fair.  Life without parole is adequate.  The plus 1000 years is seriously stupid since people don't live that long to begin with.  And besides, killing him serves zero purpose. Seems to me that the victims in this case are satisfied with this deal as well, since they have no desire to testify in open court.  What they want matters to me -- not the public or the media.

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

No one should be beaten and raped in prison no matter their  own crime.  That is seriously sick. 

Quoting Lyzmom:

The death penalty is too nice for him. He should be locked up for life, no possibility of parole, and NOT separated from general population. Let's see how he feels being beat and raped everyday.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:40 PM

He will be kept separate from other inmates or with others like himself... Justice wont be served by him spending the rest of his life in jail for what he did in my opinion

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN