Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Study: Religion Will Completely Disappear By 2041

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 135 Replies

New Study: Religion Will Completely Disappear By 2041

article image

A new study by a noted author and biopsychologist has found that atheism is most prevalent in developed countries. Based on that finding, Nigel Barber concludes that religion will completely disappear by 2041. He discusses the topic in his new book “Why Atheism Will Replace Religion.” According to his findings, “Atheists are heavily concentrated in economically developed countries.”

One of Barber’s central points is that religion decreases as personal wealth increases. His argument is that people don’t need supernatural beliefs when the real world is providing for their needs, MSN Now reported.

Barber talks about the study:

“In my new study of 137 countries (1), I also found that atheism increases for countries with a well-developed welfare state (as indexed by high taxation rates). Moreover, countries with a more equal distribution of income had more atheists. My study improved on earlier research by taking account of whether a country is mostly Moslem (where atheism is criminalized) or formerly Communist (where religion was suppressed) and accounted for three-quarters of country differences in atheism.”

In his work, Barber dismisses the theory that religious groups will continue to dominate Atheists because they have more children. “Yet, noisy as they can be, such groups are tiny minorities of the global population and they will become even more marginalized as global prosperity increases and standards of living improve.”

He also concludes that as women become more integrated into the workforce, they will have fewer children, even if they are religious. “Moreover, as religious fundamentalists become economically integrated, young women go to work and produce smaller families, as is currently happening for Utah’s Mormons,” he says.

Sources: MSN Now, Guardian Express

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM

yeah, not so much

-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Sounds good to me..

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:24 PM
I don't think so...

Religion (in different forms) has always been around. They can trace back to the different faiths and belief systems thousands of years...

Now I do think that eventually some religions will turn into "mythology" like that of the Greeks and Egyptians...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlekD
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:25 PM

lol

..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:26 PM
I don't think being an atheist precludes having a religion. Many Buddhists are atheist. There are Pagan atheists.

I can't agree with this author. I don't think religion will disappear. People cling very strongly to their beliefs.
candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM
4 moms liked this

Wishful thinking on the part of the author.   Religion isn't going anywhere.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Thankfully I will most likely be dead by that time.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I hope you are correct for the sake of my children,, grandchildren and everyone else that holds God close to their heart. 

Quoting candlegal:

Wishful thinking on the part of the author.   Religion isn't going anywhere.

1stpreggers
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Yea, I don't think so !
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JTROX
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 12:35 PM
3 moms liked this

MATTHEW 16:18

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured