Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Being poor...life and the Hunger games....

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM
  • 46 Replies
1 mom liked this

Found on the @[196601040368145:274:I Acknowledge Class Warfare Exists] Facebook page.

Shared at @[108038612554992:274:Americans Against the Tea Party].

To interrupt Klan week,,,

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:16 PM
1 mom liked this
There's no need for colleges especially liberal art schools to charge $50k a year. It's no wonder these graduates are living back home and working just to pay off their student loans. I went to a state school, lived on campus and it cost $7k a year.
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:31 PM
Back in the day it was so much easier to either work a job and support your family with out a college education or afford a college degree

These days $50K is on the lower end of the spectrum!

My younger sister graduated college in 2002 I think and she is still paying off loans

I didnt get my degree and up until this month I have always made more $$ than her. Now we are about even but I don't have the loans to pay off

It's crazy the increase in the cost in education

Quoting owl0210:

There's no need for colleges especially liberal art schools to charge $50k a year. It's no wonder these graduates are living back home and working just to pay off their student loans. I went to a state school, lived on campus and it cost $7k a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:32 PM

There are many options for higher education that doesn't involved you being in high debt for decades.

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:35 PM
I graduated from college in 2002 and know all too well about student loans lol.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Back in the day it was so much easier to either work a job and support your family with out a college education or afford a college degree

These days $50K is on the lower end of the spectrum!

My younger sister graduated college in 2002 I think and she is still paying off loans

I didnt get my degree and up until this month I have always made more $$ than her. Now we are about even but I don't have the loans to pay off

It's crazy the increase in the cost in education

Quoting owl0210:

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I only took the loans I felt I could afford to pay back. I finished my 2nd degree in 2003. I used education as a tool to obtain the position I wanted to be in. I can't do my job without the degree. 

I worked my ass off in school and as an employee with 2 full time jobs and 3 jobs in the summer to pay my way.

Not all schools cost 30k+ a year. In most instances there's nothing wrong with community colleges to get started. Smart students get an education they can afford. People of privilege get what they want regardless of its cost.

lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

That's what my son plans on doing. He's going to be a senior this September and when he graduates his plan is to go to the community college for his core classes. If he wants to further his education, he'll then transfer to a 4 year college.

Quoting Veni.Vidi.Vici.:

Not all schools cost 30k+ a year. In most instances there's nothing wrong with community colleges to get started. Smart students get an education they can afford. People of privilege get what they want regardless of its cost.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Kids can also take AP classes to place out or dual credit classes.

ExecutiveChick
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:20 PM

I'm not sure I understand why the military is a bad thing.

My youngest brother just got out of the Navy Seals last summer. He decided not to go to college (which I am okay with, it was his choice) and is now working in the Oil industry making a pretty decent living and drawing a pension and can go to school if he chooses to and will have little if any debt for his education.

My 15yo daughter decided on her own that she wants to be a Doctor (I fully support) and she (being very strong willed) decided that her Uncle's experience in the Navy is something she would like to experience (not my first choice for her) so she joined ROTC at her school and is now a candidate for scholarships that will allow her to go to school get her PHD and then enter the Navy as an Officer. While it's all beyond me, as I would have happily paid for her to go to the Ivy League school she plans to attend, she figured all this out and decided to do this pretty much on her own and it's going to save a ton of money. Now that I think about it, she may have decided this in spite of me :)

I guess what I am saying is, there is nothing wrong with joining the military if you plan it out and choose a good path for your future. In fact, it can be very rewarding in many ways.

In Israel, everyone is required to serve in the military. At least here in the US, it's a choice.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:35 PM

My student loans are ridiculous...but I accept the responsibility in that I made poor choices and it took me much longer to finish than it should have.

heresjohnny
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM
My DH is in the military and used the MGIB towards his degree, and we STILL have somewhere around $75k in student loans. The good news is with his education and experience, we should be able to quickly pay it off when he gets a civilian job. It's kind of funny how that works. The civilian equivalent of what he does in the military makes a nice six figure income, lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)