Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How to DEAL with LIBERAL CHRISTIANS!

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM
  • 285 Replies
February 24, 2013 By Chris Hallquist*********************************************** Obviously, there are lots of folks who think that the nice, liberal, peaceful interpretations of Judaism, Christianity, and Islam are the true interpretations of those religions. Unfortunately, they tend to just assert this without any argument.**************************************************** Maybe I need to expand on this. One problem I keep running into is that liberal Christians, like all believers, are firmly convinced that their version of religion is the true one, so for many of them it seems to just obviously follow that that’s what atheists should be critiquing. It’s just obvious to them that their interpretations of the Bible are the right ones, and so anyone who disagrees (whether fundamentalist or irreligious) must just be obviously unsophisticated. They seem to have trouble with the concept that atheists might need some fairly convincing arguments that their interpretation of the Bible is the true one before accepting it as such.******************************************** I’ve mentioned Peter van Inwagen as an example of someone who’s at least a moderate and who does have an explanation of how he knows his interpretation of the Bible is the right one, and I was planning on talking about van Inwagen’s views in chapter 9. But his defense of the Bible’s morality is really tied up with his goofy ideas about “The Enlightenment” (scare quotes because he insists on using the word differently than everybody else), which I deal with in chapter 7 of the book and decided I was better off not revisiting.*********************************************************** A replacement van Inwagen–someone who defends liberal interpretations of the Bible at length, but in a different way–might be helpful here, but I don’t know where I’d go for that. Unfortunately, for liberals and conservatives alike, most religious apologetics seems to be written by people who spend all their time talking to people who already agree with them, so they end up with no idea of how their arguments sound to people with different views. That makes finding worthy arguments to rebut hard. It also means that much of the challenge of rebutting religious apologetics is in getting believers to understand how unconvincing their arguments sound to nonbelievers.********************************************************************** Maybe I should talk about my background being raised as a liberal Christian, and how I understand the mindset a bit. I always feel awkward doing that, I guess because a lot of atheists have really dramatic deconversion stories, and I don’t want people to think I’m claiming the same. But maybe I should get over that awkwardness.*************************************************any CIVIL thoughts, comments?
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Please debate in a civil manner. No trolls or trouble makers please.
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:14 AM
Maybe its because I haven't had my coffee yet, but I'm not seeing the point he's trying to make? Is this an excerpt from a book?
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM
Some of it is from a book, and a blog as well. He's not making a point as much as he's sharing his views from the vantage point of once bring a "Liberal Christian" turned athiest.
Quoting stringtheory:

Maybe its because I haven't had my coffee yet, but I'm not seeing the point he's trying to make? Is this an excerpt from a book?
prommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:17 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting stringtheory:

I'm glad you said this...I was just thinking it's cause I'm getting older and my train of thought isn't what it used to be...maybe it's just the lack of coffee! ~phew~

survivorinohio
by René on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:18 AM
10 moms liked this

Extreme is bad.

I am "liberal" to the extent that I will not judge my brothers and sisters, I believe that id my Fathers prerogative always, never mine.  I dont believe I should likewise be my brothers keeper therefore law that follows my faith but fails to represent others isnt preferable to me.

I dont believe that the bible should be leveled as a swords until such time as the person you are using it on has accepted it as their guide.  It was written for believers to believers and is not meant to bully nonbelievers.

I believe no man will predict the end of days and therefore we need to continue to be good stewards and preserve this beautiful planet.

I believe that we have a social responsibility to each other and to our communities and that we should meet that responsibility with no expectations

I guess those are the main reasons I am considered liberal and tend to agree with more things the Christian Left put out than those from more right leaning publications.

Personally I am far more conservative in my beliefs.

I believe "They will know we are Christians by our Love".

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:19 AM
3 moms liked this

Paragraphs are a good thing.

What is the source for this?

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
Ah, I think I get where he's going now then. Similar argument that Richard Dawkins makes about moderate religious followers being enablers of extremism, maybe?

Quoting KamWorthy:

Some of it is from a book, and a blog as well. He's not making a point as much as he's sharing his views from the vantage point of once bring a "Liberal Christian" turned athiest.

Quoting stringtheory:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM
"***********************" suggests the breaks in paragraphs. I'm mobile, my phone does this automatically for some reason. The source, just cut and paste the title, it will come right up for you.
Quoting FromAtoZ:

Paragraphs are a good thing.

What is the source for this?

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:23 AM
Yes.
Quoting stringtheory:

Ah, I think I get where he's going now then. Similar argument that Richard Dawkins makes about moderate religious followers being enablers of extremism, maybe?

Quoting KamWorthy:

Quoting stringtheory:

mommyof24ever
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Fact is ....regardless of wgat religion...most people don't know the facts of y. Lol lots of peopl say I'm this or this...but ask them what fact based info of why and uou get a bunch of blah. I sm a Christian....and I di know why...and have a fairly indepth knowledge of the the Bible snd such....although I believe there are things we were nOt meant to know but to live on faith. As other religions say. ... we v worship s God we cannot see. But fact is if you see a sunset or a baby be born you have seen the hand and works of the Lord with us.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)