Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What Makes Someone A Racist?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 175 Replies

Example 1:

I think the question surrounding the Zimmerman case is this:

1.  GZ sees many robberies in his neighborhood committed by young, black male criminals.

2.  GZ is on the lookout for young, black males whom he finds suspicious.

Does this make him racist?

Example 2:

Many white people do not encounter many black people in their day to day lives. 

What they know of black people, especially young, black males, is what they see on the news. 

What they see on the news is young, black males committing crimes.

If these white people are wary of young, black males, does this make them racist?

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Much of how we really feel about other races, etc., is unconscious.  To see how you really feel about different subjects, please click here:

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/demo/takeatest.html

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes and yes.
SuperChicken
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

What makes a racist, imo,  is someone who views another race(s) as less than their own for any reason.

Why they do so doesn't matter.

Pema_Jampa
Aicha
Yesterday at 7:04 PM
Khaled, Taha, Faudel - Aicha - Live HD

Live Concert - 1,2,3 Soleils - 1998 ***Warning*** The last person who copied/stole this video to his account was reported and YT removed his copy of this video.

by SxyTaco on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:12 PM
4 moms liked this

Racism is taught. 

I don't think GZ originally could tell that IM was a black male. He called because he was walking around the complex and GZ didn't recognize him. 

A racist is someone who makes racist comments and believes their race is superior to others. 

Example : Clutching one's purse when a black person is near by. Not cool. Crimes are committed by all kinds of people. A person's color of skin does not determine one's character.

Iconoclast
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this
GZ may or may mot have been racist himself but his actions were based on race. He followed TM because he looked suspicious what was it that GZ could have seen in a young man walking home that would make him seem suspicious? I see you walking home and in 2 seconds you are suspicious what would trigger that? There is your answer to question number 1.

It definitely makes them prejudice and more than slightly racist. Do they also find white men to be wife killers, mass murders, serial killers, meth heads and paedophiles; because that is also what the news tells us?
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:37 PM
6 moms liked this

Failing to look at the merits of an individual and passing judgment on a whole race by the actions of some. 

fivegirls333
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

it is not what you think, it is not what you feel...it is what you do.  you are either part of the solution or part of the problem.  just the fact that you said gz was looking for young, black robbers...you are passing wrong and inflammatory statements.  they were having break-ins in the neighborhood.  it had nothing to do with color.  they were on the look out for people they did not know.  i wish that everyone who chose to discuss these issues really thought out and researched FACTS.  the media made this a race issue.  it hurt the community, not just one color.   

RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:43 PM
1 mom liked this
GZ may not be a racist. However, his actions that night were racist. He profiled and followed someone based off of the color of their skin. Racial profiling in and of itself is a form of racism. I'm your second example, it could make them racist. However, it definitely makes them prejudiced and ignorant as hell. People should be smart enough to know that what they see on TV isn't an accurate representation of the majority of a group of people. Anyone that feels that the representation is accurate has a lot to learn.

This goes back to a point I have made time and time again: actions speak louder than words Assuming things based off of what you see on TV, or what your personal experiences are is entirely wrong. Persecuting an entire group of people because of the actions of a few is wrong. When that happens, and it's race related, it can definitely be argued that the person perpetrating these ideals is a racist, whether or not they actually are.
RandRMomma
by Maya on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM
1 mom liked this
You're wrong. TM was racially profiled that night. He wasn't just looking for people he didn't know. He was looking for people that fit a certain description. The fact that some of the robbers were black does NOT give GZ the authority to assume that every black male he's see was guilty of robbing his neighborhood. Period.

I love the irony in your statement as your statement isn't factual. LOL

Quoting fivegirls333:

it is not what you think, it is not what you feel...it is what you do.  you are either part of the solution or part of the problem.  just the fact that you said gz was looking for young, black robbers...you are passing wrong and inflammatory statements.  they were having break-ins in the neighborhood.  it had nothing to do with color.  they were on the look out for people they did not know.  i wish that everyone who chose to discuss these issues really thought out and researched FACTS.  the media made this a race issue.  it hurt the community, not just one color.   

lga1965
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 2:57 PM

In case # 2.....how is it possible for anyone to not see many black people in their daily life? I'm sorry but that doesn't make any sense at all. That makes the assumption that they never travel away from their home or their street or go shopping or take a vacation.etc. That's impossible.

I can understand #1. It isn't racist to assume that someone black might look suspicious considering that there had been so many crimes committed by blacks in that specific community.

I don't see that either situation is caused by racism or is evidence of racism. However, if a person who never sees black people....LOL...is afraid of them, well, that's neurotic and ignorant.

If a person has heard derisive and prejudiced comments while growing up because of their friends, family or  their parents prejudices and ignorance and they continue to be prejudiced even though they see blacks and go to school with blacks, maybe work with blacks, who are good people , that's racist.

EDIT

If we are to discuss George Z, he might have been racist, true, but I think he was a wannabe cop, a guy who was overzealous and paranoid, and trigger- happy,pretending that he was defending himself. That was his big mistake....shooting an unarmed kid and pretending was he justfied.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)