Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pope on gay priests- who am I to judge?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM
  • 69 Replies
Pope Says He Won't Judge Gay Priests
By NICOLE WINFIELD Associated Press Jul 29, 2013, 7:35 AM
AP Photo/Luca Zennaro, Pool
Pope Francis reached out to gays on Monday, saying he wouldn't judge priests for their sexual orientation in a remarkably open and wide-ranging news conference as he returned from his first foreign trip.

"If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?" Francis asked.

His predecessor, Pope Benedict XVI, signed a document in 2005 that said men with deep-rooted homosexual tendencies should not be priests. Francis was much more conciliatory, saying gay clergymen should be forgiven and their sins forgotten.

Francis' remarks came Monday during a plane journey back to the Vatican from his first foreign trip in Brazil.

He was funny and candid during a news conference that lasted almost an hour and a half. He didn't dodge a single question, even thanking the journalist who raised allegations reported by an Italian newsmagazine that one of his trusted monsignors was involved in a scandalous gay tryst.

Francis said he investigated and found nothing to back up the allegations.

Francis was asked about Italian media reports suggesting that a group within the church tried to blackmail fellow church officials with evidence of their homosexual activities. Italian media reported this year that the allegations contributed to Benedict's decision to resign

While stressing Catholic social teaching that calls for homosexuals to be treated with dignity and not marginalized, Francis said it was something else entirely to conspire to use private information for blackmail or to exert pressure.

Francis was responding to reports that a trusted aide was involved in an alleged gay tryst a decade ago. He said he investigated the allegations according to canon law and found nothing to back them up. But he took journalists to task for reporting on the matter, saying the allegations concerned matters of sin, not crimes like sexually abusing children.

And when someone sins and confesses, he said, God not only forgives but forgets.

"We don't have the right to not forget," he said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
billsfan1104
by Jules on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM
6 moms liked this
In the Catholic Church, they teach us that it is OK to call yourself gay and be gay, but you are not suppose to act on the act of homosexuality They also teach us it is ok to love the person, but it is ok to not "accept" or condone the homosexual act. You are also not to judge and be belligerent and hurtful to them.
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Understanding that gay is not a choice goes a long way.  This is no revelation for the church.  And it is not condoning sexual behavior from gays.  It is specifically about gay priests.  Priests practice abstinence.  

So, to be clear, the Pope was not giving a green light to homosexual acts or marriage.  He's already made himself clear on that. 

lancet98
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:28 AM

Well well well.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

And the Pope Francis Goodwill Public Relations tour continues.  ;)

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Quoting billsfan1104:

In the Catholic Church, they teach us that it is OK to call yourself gay and be gay, but you are not suppose to act on the act of homosexuality They also teach us it is ok to love the person, but it is ok to not "accept" or condone the homosexual act. You are also not to judge and be belligerent and hurtful to them.

I have a friend who is a gay catholic and writes about denying himself sexual relations.

He has a multitude of stress-related health problems. I can't help but make the connection.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM
2 moms liked this

I think his words are inspiring

TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:21 AM
4 moms liked this

This is my understanding of it...We are ALL sexual beings, gay or straight and we all crave that part of our lives.  So a gay person having to be celibate (because they take up the priesthood) is the same sacrifice as a straight person having to remain celibate (because they take up the priesthood).  Am I wrong in that thinking?  I can't think of why it would matter if a priest were gay/straight. 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Wonder if blondekosmic has read this, her head probably exploded.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting billsfan1104:

I have a friend who is a gay catholic and writes about denying himself sexual relations.

He has a multitude of stress-related health problems. I can't help but make the connection.

I have a gay cousin, many years older than myself who was brought up in a strictly catholic family and they were very active in the church. He was a volunteer for YEARS. When he told them he was Gay they told him OK but he wasn't to have gay sex.

When he moved in with his partner they basically told him to live with him as a "friend" and not have relations with him....of course my cousin did and they knew that but as long as they could lie to themsleves that he wasn't actually commiting the act they would look the other way.

He's been with his partner almost 30 years now ... it seems cruel to me they expect them to act as "friends" and not spouses after all that time

juju40
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM

no your correct

Quoting TimetoMomUp:

This is my understanding of it...We are ALL sexual beings, gay or straight and we all crave that part of our lives.  So a gay person having to be celibate (because they take up the priesthood) is the same sacrifice as a straight person having to remain celibate (because they take up the priesthood).  Am I wrong in that thinking?  I can't think of why it would matter if a priest were gay/straight. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)