Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Bus Carrying Teens Returning From Camp Crashes Leaving 3 Dead

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 6 Replies

Bus Carrying Teens Returning From Camp Crashes Leaving 3 Dead (VIDEO)

by Mary Fischer

bus crash

A bus full of teenagers and their parents crashed near Interstate 465 in Indiana yesterday, and tragically, three people were killed and 26 others were sent to the hospital. Fire officials say there were a total of 40 passengers on the bus.

The group was returning from a church camp in Michigan when the accident occurred, and the bus was only a mile from arriving at its destination, Colonial Hills Baptist Church, when it hit a retaining wall and flipped over as it tried to come around a curve.

The driver of the bus reportedly told witnesses that his brakes had failed, though the cause of the crash has not yet been determined.

Amazingly, before first responders arrived on the scene, good Samaritans stopped their cars and rushed over to help get people out of the bus. When the fire department did arrive, they had to free five people who were trapped inside.

Take a look at this video to hear more about what happened and to see footage of the wreckage.

We can only imagine what a frightening scene that must have been for the motorists who witnessed the crash, and those poor kids and all of the passengers on the bus must have been terrified. And it's so horrible that they were so close to arriving safely back at their church when tragedy struck. My heart and prayers go out to everyone involved, especially the loved ones of the three people who lost their lives.

What do you think caused this crash?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:46 AM

How awful :(

Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 10:52 AM
I live here in Indy. This is extremely sad. The couple killed were the youth pastor and his wife (and unborn baby- their 2 y/o survived) and a mother of 5. There was a school bus with younger kids from the church behind it that made it back to the church and were yelling and screaming as they pulled up. As the article says, the driver said his brakes failed. They should be able to verify this in an investigation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Wow, those poor famiies and those on the 2nd bus. What a horrible tragedy. 

Quoting Ktina11:

I live here in Indy. This is extremely sad. The couple killed were the youth pastor and his wife (and unborn baby- their 2 y/o survived) and a mother of 5. There was a school bus with younger kids from the church behind it that made it back to the church and were yelling and screaming as they pulled up. As the article says, the driver said his brakes failed. They should be able to verify this in an investigation.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM
They were returning from a camp about two miles from my store.
supercarp
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Speed and a poorly maintained bus.

finnbar
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Apparently the young couple who died used to live in my city. Some people I know went to church with them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)