Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Autism and birth control pills: what is the connection?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM
  • 47 Replies

Every parent of an autistic child would give anything to understand the causes of autism spectrum disorder. It's widely accepted that there is a yet unverified contributing factor, with an unnamed environmental trigger often cited.

If we as a society struggling with enormous issues and expenditures surrounding autism noticed a parallel dramatic increase of a certain drug with the dramatic rise in autism, wouldn't it be reasonable to expect that link to be researched from every possible angle?

Birth control came around the same time that autism was diagnosed at around 1 in 10,000 and now, with widespread birth control use, the number of autism cases has skyrocketed.

In many parts of the world, including the U.S., U.K., Canada, Japan and Scandinavia, the rates were flat through the late '80s, and then suddenly a massive increase took place simultaneously. Certainly it raises questions. The same countries who legalized and experienced a rapid increase in the use of birth control pills saw a rise in autism. This did not happen in countries like Italy, Germany, Spain, France, Portugal, and Oman, who never legalized or adopted birth control pills on such a massive scale.

It would be expected that countries like Spain, Italy, Portugal, France, Germany, and Oman would have such low autism rates (two orders of magnitude lower than the U.S.) because their religions prohibit them from taking any birth control measures, including abortion, the pill, and the morning after pill. The fact that the autism rates in Mexico, China, Saudi Arabia, Indonesia, Hong Kong, and Venezuela is an order of magnitude higher than these West European nations, and an order of magnitude lower than ours, can be explained by their legalization of birth control, but an implementation at a much lower rate than us.

The U.S. states with the highest percentage of Catholics, and thus the lowest rates of contraception, have the lowest rates of autism, whereas those with the lowest percentage of Catholics (and thus the highest rates of contraception) are also the states with the highest rates of autism, with 1 in 718 children in Vermont vs. 1 in 67 children in Minnesota (a difference of more than one order of magnitude, larger than the differences across most countries). That alone is an astounding fact.

The birth control pill seems to be recommended these days for everything from irregular periods to mood swings to acne. Scientific research has shown a connection with birth control pill usage and breast cancer. (In 2005, the World Health Organization classified oral contraceptives as a Group I carcinogen—the most dangerous classification known. Also, a comprehensive meta-analysis* published in the Mayo Clinic Proceedings in October, 2006 found that 21 out of 23 retrospective studies done since 1980 showed that women who took oral contraceptive prior to the birth of their first child sustained a 44% average increased risk of developing pre-menopausal breast cancer.] This risk rose to 52% for women who took the pill for at least four years prior to the birth of their first child.) This information still isn't widely known, as pharmaceutical companies rake in millions from birth control pills. Isn't the possibility of this contraceptive being a factor in autism at least worth looking into?

Why doesn't the FDA or CDC study this?

If your child/children have Autism, were you ever on birth control?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 2:03 PM

autism ribbon autism awareness

Disclaimer.  This is a theory and involves a culmination of extensive research, consultations, personal experience and logic. I urge everyone to do their own homework so that another Dr. Wakefield incident is not replicated.

Globally, autism is on the rise and has been since the 1960′s. Granted, the newest screening techniques and awareness have made it look more like a jump than the reality of a steady surge.

Autism has no borders and we must focus our attention on all of the similarities that exist globally.

Possible causes that affect the global rates may include carbon pollutants, factories billowing heavy metals into the air and water, auto emissions, Chernobyl-type incidents and other environmental factors.  All of these may play a role, to an extent.

Heavy metals laden in the human body do indeed cause genetic mutations. Heavy metals in the brain wreak havoc. The auto-immune system reacts by attacking the brain. This could all cause neurological interruptions, indeed.

I’m not arguing that these don’t play a part, but since we are not all affected, there must be another factor.

I’m a woman with high levels of testosterone. I produced two spectrum-disordered boys. My youngest daughter is earmarked for bi-polar syndrome and my oldest daughter’s son is showing signs of toddler bi-polar. All three of these boys have the same birth date and all three were above average, extremely cognitive and healthy babies.

Now that the vaccine myths have at last been dispelled, the correct answer can be linked to hormones, birth control and chemically-produced hormones. This is not a conspiracy and cannot be undone.

Over twenty years ago, we realized that although our recycled water could be made bacteria-free by processes that would make our water safe, our filtration systems were not and are not enough to remove hormones and other numerous chemical substances.

The recent media-assisted push to stop flushing old medications down toilets and start depositing them in drug boxes such as mailboxes outside of courthouses and other government buildings is no coincidence. Certain drugs and drug compounds remain in our water supplies and we are in turn replenishing them back into our bodies over and over again.

The incidence of infertility has also been on the rise during the same time as autism. It has been proven that over time, men and women (especially child-bearing women) that have higher levels of hormones will have issues. 

If a woman gets pregnant while on birth control, is that not harmful to the fetus?

Are we getting the big picture?

There is no way around it — we are genetically mutated and the cause is overwhelmingly linked to HORMONES.

We acquire hormones through our poultry, beef and even our water supply, which is the basic lifeline to everything we put into our bodies. As a result, we are seeing the devastating consequences.

At least four chromosomal disorders have been linked to autism. Males with autism have higher levels of hormones than typical males. Higher levels of hormones exist in the wombs of mothers bearing autistic developing fetuses than those carrying typically developing fetuses. All of these facts are researched, proven and known but unfortunately, the vaccine myth has turned society’s attention away from them.

The “modern world” began sending shipments of birth control and hormone-related drugs to numerous third world and underprovided nations some fifty years ago. In well-intended efforts in trying to control population numbers, we were imposing our modern medicine on the rest of the world and it worked, to some extent.

Women began taking birth control in unprecedented numbers. Through women’s urine, these hormones went into our water systems. Incapable of filtering these massive amounts of hormones, the recycled water re-entered our atmosphere, environment, homes and bodies. The fact that hormones have a long half-life (the time it takes a drug to completely leave the body) does not help matters either. 

It is also been proven that spectrum disordered males tend to have effeminate characteristics versus typical males and disordered girls carry higher levels of testosterone. These results continue to point toward hormonal imbalances as being the culprit. Additionally, the uneven balance of males with autism vs. females with autism (four times as prevalent) also points to a hormonal link.

It was in fact, the drug companies who were responsible, but it’s not something that we can undo. We now have to turn our research facilities into therapy-based facilities for the generations here and the many more to follow. The genetics of the planet are mutated and there’s no stopping the spectrum disordered pandemic.

All the while, the answer was right in front of our noses.  It was developed for the agricultural world, it has been in our purses, under our pillows, in our drawers and handed out like candy around the globe.

We spent far too much attention vilifying life-saving vaccines rather than looking in our own homes. This was self-induced and we are still doing it today.

Will the drug companies stop making hormones? Will the agricultural markets give them up? Will filtration systems around the world ever be capable of ridding our water systems of chemicals that are genetically changing the human race? I certainly hope so.

This IS the answer that has eluded us.

Let’s stop diverting attention away from the real issues and start encouraging drug companies, scientists, engineers and governments to do what they can to effectively remove or reduce hormones.

Do your part and only buy poultry or meat that is hormone-free. Let’s lessen the damage. Let us not get side tracked again and lose sight of the real need. The affected kids are already here. The adults are here. The age of man-made hormones, particularly in birth control, has brought on the age of autism.

And in the process of trying to control the population, we have genetically rearranged it forever.

This is my theory. A theory that actually makes sense – globally.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I was on it for 14 years and have a severely autistic son.

PamR
by Pam on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:01 PM

I was on it, with the exception of when I was trying to get pregnant, was pregnant and nursing (2 kids), for about 25 years.  My kids are fine.

It seems as if there is always some medication being blamed - vaccines, birth control pills - is there  any evidence that autism can be something that the child is born being predisposed to? 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I was on birth control and had never heard of autism until my kids were in their teens.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Mayhaps it's not the birth control (or any other drug) but a symptom of the older-and-older primagravita...

That is: the older your eggs are, the more problems there are likely to be, with fertility, and potentially even the health of the child... Never before have so many women put off having children into their 30s.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I can't use any kind of hormone therapy BC. I've used it, but not in 15 years. My children do not show sigs of autism.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LindaClement:

Mayhaps it's not the birth control (or any other drug) but a symptom of the older-and-older primagravita...

That is: the older your eggs are, the more problems there are likely to be, with fertility, and potentially even the health of the child... Never before have so many women put off having children into their 30s.

There's been some research and stats related to maternal age. Now I'm gonna have to locate it. I'm lazy today.

Veni.Vidi.Vici.
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Link Between Advanced Maternal Age and Autism Confirmed

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100208102411.htm

Bethsunshine
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

I was on birth control pills off and on for 16 years and neither one of my kids have autism. I think the connection between hormones and autism is a definite possibility though. With all of the hormones in the food now, and the rise in autism cases as well as other issues, there has to be a link somewhere.

littlelamb303
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Quoting LindaClement:

My grandmother's generation had children well into their 40s(when they had kids until they could not have them anymore) and their kids were fine.  SO, "older" mothers is not something that is new.  My family all had children in their  30s and our kids are fine. Having kids in your 30s is not risky.  MANY younger women have autisic children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)